Christmas Day Excursions Rome

ziginnj

Hi all. I tried to call the cruise line (MSC) but they were very honest and had no idea. I appreciate that they didn’t make anything up. 

My grandparents will be in port at Civitavecchia on Christmas. I 100% understand it’s Christmas and things are closed and people are off. 

The excursion list only had two options and neither were a good fit (biking through Rome). Do you think they will offer more that day or I am out of luck?  I was hoping they would have a bus ride to Rome but not listed yet. 

I saw there is a train but I think it’s closed. Still trying to figure that out. 

Any suggestions or opinions if they will offer anything?  I prefer to stay with a cruise excursion as I don’t want them to get stuck in Rome. 

Anyone know if it’s touristy enough they will add more or probably not? Thank you. 

Just about everything tourists would want to visit will be closed on Christmas.

However, some places are so iconic that even seeing the exterior is quite thrilling: the Colosseum, for example, or the Piazza in front of St. Peter's basilica (Vatican).  In addition, Rome boasts a number of beautiful fountains (e.g., Trevi Fountain) and piazzas (e.g., Piazza Navona) that are outside and freely viewed 24/7.

I suspect part of the issue of the cruise lines will be getting people who are actually willing to work on a Christmas day. Tours need drivers and guides. 

If this is their only chance to see Rome, I might reach out to a trusted private service like Rome in Limo or Rome Cabs to see if they could help put together an itinerary. Talk to them soon as possible because they will probably have limited staff on that date. And be prepared for a high sticker price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just about everything tourists would want to visit will be closed on Christmas.

However, some places are so iconic that even seeing the exterior is quite thrilling: the Colosseum, for example, or the Piazza in front of St. Peter's basilica (Vatican).  In addition, Rome boasts a number of beautiful fountains (e.g., Trevi Fountain) and piazzas (e.g., Piazza Navona) that are outside and freely viewed 24/7.

I suspect part of the issue of the cruise lines will be getting people who are actually willing to work on a Christmas day. Tours need drivers and guides. 

If this is their only chance to see Rome, I might reach out to a trusted private service like Rome in Limo or Rome Cabs to see if they could help put together an itinerary. Talk to them soon as possible because they will probably have limited staff on that date. And be prepared for a high sticker price.

This is super helpful. I’ll call both places. Thank you!!!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ziginnj said:

This is super helpful. I’ll call both places. Thank you!!!!!

Yes, do start inquiring to find a private guide now, for Christmas.

And make sure they understand the capabilities of your grandparents... will they want to walk much, be driven by some of the sights, etc.?

That's one of the advantages of a private tour/guide.

We do that; I have minor mobility issues, so we can rest as needed, without worrying about others getting annoyed... or worrying about being left behind.

If your grandparents are likely to be more interested in some areas, buildings, etc., than others, this is the perfect time to have something customized for them.  That will at least make the most of their special day in Rome.

We sometimes mention the types of places/activities we are interested in, and then ask the guide if they can think of other things that might appeal to someone with our interests.  That sometimes gets some great suggestions (and sometimes not...).

GC

• Thanks 1

We have been on several med cruises and one was over Christmas week.   I think it was my favorite due to cool temps and lower crowds.   We happened to be in Malta on xmas day and not Rome, but we were able to find a private guide there on xmas day.   We worked through an agency and their normal guides wanted the day off but they were able to get  a younger college age guide for us - and she was a fantastic guide for the day.

You can experience a lot in Rome from the exterior of the landmarks as others have said.

Good luck...