Wifi calling using data-only eSIM

ByThePond

Has anybody tried using a data-only eSIM and wifi calling in a foreign country to make/receive calls on their Canadian phone number? The implication is that this is done without any roaming charges (either voice or data) on the Canadian plan. 

Edited by ByThePond

We are about to buy for the first time a eSIM but we will do WhatsApp calling and texting using the eSIM data.

I don't know how you use your Canadian number to do WiFi calling and if you are doing actual WiFi calling you would not need an eSIM to do that.

If you turn off your data and cellular roaming and use only WiFi, you can call using your existing number.

Unless your phone has the ability to recognize two sims - your regular and the eSIM - then the eSIM closes off your Canadian number.  This is why you would install the eSIM and use WhatsApp for your calling because WhatsApp uses the Canadian phone number through data and not the cellular network.

Not sure this is making perfect sense...

I was hoping that “WiFi calling” is a general term for “use whatever data connection is available if there is no cell connection” so that it would work over a foreign data-only eSIM when not in the presence of wifi (for example while driving). 

From my understanding - we are just embarking on a trip and using eSIM for the first time too.

You will turn off your cellular roaming with your home number - no one can reach you by calling your home number.  You will have a new number associated to the eSIM is what I understand.

You will use data through the eSIM, and so you can use WhatsApp calling or texting.  If you have an iPhone, then you should still be able to iMessage other iPhones on data too.

Hopefully someone else will confirm what I am saying...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ByThePond said:

I was hoping that “WiFi calling” is a general term for “use whatever data connection is available if there is no cell connection” so that it would work over a foreign data-only eSIM when not in the presence of wifi (for example while driving). 

This is essentially correct.  WiFi calling really means "any available data connection"  If you have an ESIM for travel and have enabled WiFi-calling but disabled roaming on your regular SIM,  you will appear to the service provider to be outside cell range but connected via the internet.   Texting and voice calls will work fine as long as the data connection is reasonable.  Note that you appear to the service provider to be in Canada.  If you are in for example, Spain, and make a call to the restaurant down the street to make a reservation, you'll get dinged for a Canada-to-Europe call.  Instead use WhatsApp or Viber if the place you are calling accepts those calls.

(I can verify this works for Rogers, and I have no reason to expect that Bell is any different).

I posted a more detailed explanation on this thread (post #40):

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Messybill said:

This is essentially correct.  WiFi calling really means "any available data connection"  If you have an ESIM for travel and have enabled WiFi-calling but disabled roaming on your regular SIM,  you will appear to the service provider to be outside cell range but connected via the internet.   Texting and voice calls will work fine as long as the data connection is reasonable.  Note that you appear to the service provider to be in Canada.  If you are in for example, Spain, and make a call to the restaurant down the street to make a reservation, you'll get dinged for a Canada-to-Europe call.  Instead use WhatsApp or Viber if the place you are calling accepts those calls.

(I can verify this works for Rogers, and I have no reason to expect that Bell is any different).

I posted a more detailed explanation on this thread (post #40):

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

From my understanding - we are just embarking on a trip and using eSIM for the first time too.

You will turn off your cellular roaming with your home number - no one can reach you by calling your home number.  You will have a new number associated to the eSIM is what I understand.

You will use data through the eSIM, and so you can use WhatsApp calling or texting.  If you have an iPhone, then you should still be able to iMessage other iPhones on data too.

Hopefully someone else will confirm what I am saying...

My question was specific to a data-only eSIM which does not have an associated phone number. 

20 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

My question was specific to a data-only eSIM which does not have an associated phone number. 

As far as I am aware, phones that accept ESIMs are "dual".  That is, you can keep your regular SIM in the phone and use the ESIM as a "second line".  If that is the situation, your home number will still work without roaming if you configure things as I described.   Your contacts in Canada will be able to contact you as if you were still at home in your kitchen.  (and vice versa).   If you have doubts about the capabilities of your particular phone you can check it at various websites, for example: 

https://esim.holafly.com/how-to/esim-phones/

9 hours ago, Messybill said:

As far as I am aware, phones that accept ESIMs are "dual".  That is, you can keep your regular SIM in the phone and use the ESIM as a "second line".  If that is the situation, your home number will still work without roaming if you configure things as I described.   Your contacts in Canada will be able to contact you as if you were still at home in your kitchen.  (and vice versa).   If you have doubts about the capabilities of your particular phone you can check it at various websites, for example: 

https://esim.holafly.com/how-to/esim-phones/

Messybill,

Thank you for this.  I am - IMO - fairly tech savvy but I find that some of these settings are so confusing. 

Data roaming on or off - cellular network on or off - airplane mode on or off....

I read your post 40 in the other discussion and have written a bunch of notes that I am now investigating.  We are also on Rogers and we have iPhones that are compatible with eSIM's.

If we follow all the steps you outline:

1. WiFi call1ng ON
  2. Data roaming OFF
  3. Search home network only
  4. For eSIM - data switching and roaming ON

Questions for you:

1. This means that with the eSIM enabled when we arrive in Europe, we will be using the data plan on that eSIM for our Maps and WhatsApp, and any data needs, correct?
  2. Our phone thinks we are still on our home network, so if anyone calls us we can answer and there won't be any charge - provided we are within the limits of our home plan?
  3. This would also mean that we could make calls that are within our plan limits to a home based number and not be charged additional cost?
  4. Calls made locally would be charged as a Canada to Europe call - right?
  5. BUT, if we call using WhatsApp on the eSIM data, that is ok....?

Final confusing thing for me to understand.

You say that it is WiFi calling, but actually Internet calling.

Does this mean for our home number we must be connected to an actual WiFi network - the ship, the hotel, the coffee shop, for WiFi calling to work?

Or by virtue that we are connected to data through the eSIM we are internet connected and therefore able to use WiFi/Internet calling on your HSP line?

OMGoodness, many questions, but if you can clarify these you will be a lifesaver and a MONEY SAVER!

Thank you Thank you.

38 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

1. WiFi call1ng ON
  2. Data roaming OFF
  3. Search home network only
  4. For eSIM - data switching and roaming ON

Yes #3 is essential to the process.   It stops the regular SIM connecting to a foreign cell tower.  If it could connect, it would use the cell network to connect to Rogers, which would start a roaming  session.

Questions for you:

1. This means that with the eSIM enabled when we arrive in Europe, we will be using the data plan on that eSIM for our Maps and WhatsApp, and any data needs, correct?   YES
  2. Our phone thinks we are still on our home network, so if anyone calls us we can answer and there won't be any charge - provided we are within the limits of our home plan?  More importantly, the phone is connected to Rogers via the internet, but not the cell network.  Because you have set up wifi calling, your home number will work through that connection.
  3. This would also mean that we could make calls that are within our plan limits to a home based number and not be charged additional cost? Yes - Rogers thinks you're in Canada.
  4. Calls made locally would be charged as a Canada to Europe call - right? Yes
  5. BUT, if we call using WhatsApp on the eSIM data, that is ok....?  WhatsApp uses the internet connection only, so you can message or call with it and Rogers is not involved.  I do not use WhatsApp.  I have used VIber, which works fine.

Final confusing thing for me to understand.

You say that it is WiFi calling, but actually Internet calling.

Does this mean for our home number we must be connected to an actual WiFi network - the ship, the hotel, the coffee shop, for WiFi calling to work?  You need a connection to the internet.  If you are at sea, and your ESIM is unable to connect, being connected to the ship's internet is sufficient

Or by virtue that we are connected to data through the eSIM we are internet connected and therefore able to use WiFi/Internet calling on your HSP line?  Yes, if you are in range of a cell tower that your ESIM works with.

• Thanks 1

Wow... thank you!  This makes it all clearer.

I have had challenges before when we did not want roaming services what to turn on and off, and by trail and error we have had charges before.

The other thing that is difficult to calculate, is that when you are on Rogers roaming, your charge per day is based on the 24 hour clock at home, so you can sometimes be charged for two days when you only actually wanted or used time in one 24 hour day where you are located in the world.  That for me last time in Australia for work was confusing... but if this system works, when I travel for work I can use this system too and save my work a lot of roaming charges.

Wifi Calling will work outside Canada as described on this thread if you are a Rogers or Fido customer.

Bell, Telus, and their discount brands block the use of Wifi Calling outside Canada, and while there are some ways around this if necessary it won't work for what is being described here - using wifi calling via a foreign esim. 

Edited by cmich068
  • Thanks 1

Call me a bit slow on the uptake with this....

We are Rogers and iPhone users...

Based on the text below taken today from the Apple tech support site, this would suggest to me that we must be connected to a WiFi network at all times for the WiFi calling to work?

I am hoping that having an eSIM with data will be the same as a WiFi connection?

Apple define wifi calling as:

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling

With Wi-Fi Calling, you can make or receive a phone call if you have a Wi-Fi connection in an area with little or no cellular coverage. Learn how to make a voice call using Wi-Fi Calling.

Yes this works for dual sim iPhones and Rogers.  Rogers may make changes that make this difficult in the future, as Bell has attempted to do. There are plenty of other alternative ways of staying connected when travelling with an ESIM.  Check out Fongo.com for a free Canadian VOIP number.  When you are travelling, you can add texting to free voice calls for a very small fee.  Viber and even WhatsApp are other ways to avoid ridiculous roaming charges....

8 hours ago, Messybill said:

Yes this works for dual sim iPhones and Rogers.  Rogers may make changes that make this difficult in the future, as Bell has attempted to do. There are plenty of other alternative ways of staying connected when travelling with an ESIM.  Check out Fongo.com for a free Canadian VOIP number.  When you are travelling, you can add texting to free voice calls for a very small fee.  Viber and even WhatsApp are other ways to avoid ridiculous roaming charges....

We are going to try all your recommendations on our trip leaving next week.

Our main goal is to NOT have to pay Rogers $15 per day to stay connected to home.

We want to be able to receive phone calls from family and friends at home and not be hidden behind an eSIM that sends any calls to our home numbers to voicemail that we cannot access.

We are fine to tell immediate family to reach us via WhatsApp, and have done so, but just still want the connection to the home number.

We also want to be able to use our data freely to use maps and internet searches, as we are going on a River Cruise and often you are in port overnight and you want to go back into the city or town after dinner on your own.

So, we have checked out your other post, written down all the settings and checked them out and know what to switch on and off and where...  

We are going to buy from the eSIM provider you suggested because we will be in 5 Eastern European  countries and this is the only one that seems to have a package that includes all of the countries we will be in so we don't have to purchase country by country.

Thank you for your patience with my questions!

15 hours ago, cmich068 said:

Wifi Calling will work outside Canada as described on this thread if you are a Rogers or Fido customer.

Bell, Telus, and their discount brands block the use of Wifi Calling outside Canada, and while there are some ways around this if necessary it won't work for what is being described here - using wifi calling via a foreign esim. 

cmich068, can you please share the “ways around this if necessary” that you mention above. We are with Virgin Plus (discount brand of Bell) and will be using an eSIM for an upcoming European trip. We were hoping to use WhatsApp for the rare occasional call (e.g. restaurant reservation) but now I’m wondering if that will work. 

Thank you in advance and thanks to all for this helpful, informative thread!

3 minutes ago, BananaMama66 said:

cmich068, can you please share the “ways around this if necessary” that you mention above. We are with Virgin Plus (discount brand of Bell) and will be using an eSIM for an upcoming European trip. We were hoping to use WhatsApp for the rare occasional call (e.g. restaurant reservation) but now I’m wondering if that will work. 

From what I understand, if you are buying an eSIM and only using WhatsApp - which is a data app - you will be fine.  

The ways around is about using your home number for WiFi calling when you also have an eSIM.

If you are good with your home number just going to voice mail when you are away, buy the eSIM, and ask all your friends and family to call you on WhatApp and you will be good.

(Make sure you turn off your cellular data and roaming however...)

1 hour ago, BananaMama66 said:

Thanks CDNPolar! I didn’t pick up on the detail about using your home number rather than the cell number.  

Well, when I say "home number" I am referring to your cell number.

If you install an eSIM that is data only, and you leave your cellular network on, then your cell number will still be active and potentially racking up roaming charges....  depends on your phone, and your service.

LOL! I appreciate the clarification. Since we still have a land line plus cell phones, I think of “home number “ as the land line number.  More research required but it’s fun to learn new things!

We are purchasing our eSIM this weekend for 5 countries in Eastern Europe.  We are testing this starting Tuesday.

We will report our success as soon as we can.

Since we are buying eSIM for two phones, we will change all the settings on both and then test if we can make calls to each other as WiFi calls when off the ship and on eSIM data only.

Hopefully Rogers won't block this kind of setting in the future, because we don't want to completely disconnect, but we also don't want to pay Rogers $15 or $30 per day for our one or two phones.

I know that the USA is a big market comparably, but our friends from Kentucky have a home in Spain and they spend around the 180 days a year there.  They don't have any increase in their monthly bill, they just experience slightly slower data when out and about. When in their home, they have great WiFi so their speed is fine. 

It would be great to hear back about your experience with the eSIMs. I hope it goes smoothly for you and that you have no unexpected charges from Rogers. 

Americans and Europeans are fortunate to have such a variety of service providers to choose from that offer more competitive rates and better service than we get here. 

Have a wonderful trip!

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 5:35 AM, BananaMama66 said:

WhatsApp will work without any special effort. 

To connect to Wifi Calling with Bell/Virgin you need to spoof your location so it thinks you're connecting from a Canadian IP address - so using a VPN or similar. 

I have considered a VPN but we don’t really travel frequently enough or use public wifi regularly so haven’t gone that route (yet).

I believe if you ever use public wi-fi for anything except simple browsing of mainstream websites (and maybe not even then) you ought to be using a VPN. 

• Like 3