Amateur Radio On Board

KillerSnake

OK, I hold a US Amateur Radio license. I know that in order to have my simple held held unit on board that I

1) apply for permit from Bermuda radio authorities

2) request permission from ship captain

My goal is NOT to use while on board but while on shore to track my position and receive cell phone-like text

messages without paying International rates.

1) has anyone else done this?

2) how do I know who the captain will be 12 months in advance since that is the only one who can approve it?

Thanks in advance.

I too, am a HAM.  I had read (or seen) somewhere very recently that our gear was no longer allowed.  While this is not the actual Princess list...I think it's probably accurate:

http://www.shipdetective.com/advice/packing/prohibit_princess.htm

• Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), Ham radios, transformers, lasers, laser pointers, electric extension cords with surge protectors*.

That is disappointing. I just wanted to use ARPS and maybe call out on any repeaters I program for each port.

I get not setting up a shack in the cabin and putting and antenna on the balcony.

Oh, well.....a little less to pack

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Here is what I remember seeing.  While it is not HAM equipment, I don't think they are going to make a distinction between the different bands!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV7AoRwwShE

I had seen that and saw on the YouTuber mention no more FRS or GRMS on board.

I accept that change. Again was just hoping..........

I took my HT on a Disney cruise many years ago and attracted quite a crowd whenever we were arriving or leaving since I could hear the communications. I did not attempt to transmit. I know that some cruise lines specifically do not allow amateur radio equipment on board.

The occasion above was my first and only time to bring a radio onboard, Rick, KQ4Y

My husbands carries his handheld on just about every cruise.   We have had no issues with Princess and on RCCL once the Chief Radio Officer took it to get cleared by captain.   As for an antenna…Well it is a lovely wire antenna of sorts that he loops through the balcony doors and around the balcony.   Not great looking but who am I to complain….I am on a ship.  He has not used radio to transmit but for monitoring bands and repeaters.   We also have a list of ship’s frequencies that he programed to monitor ship’s activity.   Now that is fun to listen too when there are late passengers and they are looking for them 🤣🤣🤣.   Although it seems like some of the frequencies have been locked down or changes.   

• Like 1

I too am licensed and while I don't operate from the ships, on our Northern Lights cruise on the Island Princess last fall, the gentleman next door to us had an odd contraption on his balcony. We chatted in the hallway and yes, he was operating from his cabin using HF I believe. He had obtained permission in advance and was happily making contacts from above the Arctic Circle.

So, at least last Fall it was possible.

The posted list includes Ham radios. If detected, they will be confiscated. The normal walkie-talkies families carry around are not taken.

That being said, we turn all confiscated items over to ship security prior to debarkation and they sail with you. It would be between the passenger and the ship if they will allow use prior to the end of the cruise. If the passenger has special permission for an item, the ship will contact us in advance with the passenger's name and specifically what is allowed. It's not taken if previously authorized.

Every ship has a different list, including knife blade lengths, alcohol, extension cords, etc. All carry on and luggage is screened. 

No system is perfect, I'm just describing the process.

Generally it is a PITA to get everything done properly. I gave up playing with these lists of various rules and plowed around them. Ulefone Armor 20WT it's a phone it's a 70cm. It's only major drawback no 5G. Take off the antenna and it's a normal enough looking phone. Rfinder makes something similar. 

• Like 1