airline scamble

gowilk

28 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

If you have the pdf copy e documents Viking sent you 2 weeks before you sail, you have an electronic copy on of the contract on your electronic device of choice.  

Thanks! That sounds reasonable.

55 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

But note that once your trip begins, the booking disappears from MVJ.

Anything that you want to save from MVJ has to be saved before your trip begins.

So, thank you, @formernuke for the heads up and I am off to download those documents.

On the other hand, 14 voyages with Viking and I have never been asked to see it.

Sort of like the proof of COVID vaccinations! We have yet to be asked.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 4:53 AM, CDNPolar said:

Airline changing the equipment to a plane that has a slightly different configuration will cause this.  And, this is all done automatically by the airline system.  No one is sitting there manually reassigning seats.

If you use SeatGuru, you will see often that the you are presented with the most common configuration that the airline may use depending on long haul vs. short haul, but often there is option for you to choose in the top right of the seat map to change to a 2nd or even a 3rd configuration.  Often if you look at the differences, you will see things like Premium Economy has a 2 / 3 / 2 configuration in one map and a 3 / 3 / 3 in the alternate.

Are you allowed to use SeatGuru to change seats if Viking Air is making your flight arrangements? I selected aisle seats across from each other for my DH and myself (especially on the domestic flights) because he has rather long legs (38" inseam) and I have some mobility issues. We are flying Business Class on the international flights so I'm not so worried about those.

We're also traveling with friends, but they are only doing Premium Economy. Who knows, we might not even end up on the same flights.

Yes, if seats are available in your category, you can select different seats in My Viking Journey. However, we usually select (and sometimes upgrade) via the airline website or App. Some airlines require that the flights be ticketed first, some don’t. You can request early ticketing from Viking Air, sometimes you will get push back, but I’ve always received it around 120 days prior to the flight. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 9:45 AM, Opiwan said:

Are you allowed to use SeatGuru to change seats if Viking Air is making your flight arrangements? I selected aisle seats across from each other for my DH and myself (especially on the domestic flights) because he has rather long legs (38" inseam) and I have some mobility issues. We are flying Business Class on the international flights so I'm not so worried about those.

We're also traveling with friends, but they are only doing Premium Economy. Who knows, we might not even end up on the same flights.

SeatGuru is not connected to any airlines, it just provides seat maps and seat recommendations.

14 minutes ago, chaunceyb said:

SeatGuru is not connected to any airlines, it just provides seat maps and seat recommendations.

and be aware, it is not always accurate for the configuration.  I run in to this with International flights which have different configurations from the same jet used in long haul US domestic.  The airlines ticketing app / site is likely to have the correct configuration and will be able to show the availability. Always download the airlines app as soon as you have your ticketing info 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, chaunceyb said:

17 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

and be aware, it is not always accurate for the configuration.  I run in to this with International flights which have different configurations from the same jet used in long haul US domestic.  The airlines ticketing app / site is likely to have the correct configuration and will be able to show the availability. Always download the airlines app as soon as you have your ticketing info 

SeatGuru has basically been abandoned by TripAdvisor, who owns it.

The site is not being updated and is often worse than useless.  Use at your own risk.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Is there a site that does what Seat Guru used to do?

Expert Flyer seat map is far more accurate, but they have recently discontinued the app. However their website is still active. This allows you to check what seats are available.

For a website merely showing what the seating plan is for each aircraft of the major airlines, have a look at aerolopa.com