Highly Recommend Iguana Mama Damajagua Waterfall Tour!!

laauurrr

Just returned from a 9-day cruise on the Norwegian Sky.  I saw tons of recommendations of the Damajagua waterfalls, and I couldn't recommend this excursion more.  I was torn between booking with the cruise ship vs. Iguana Mama (recommended highly by others), and I ended up selecting the tour with Iguana Mama, which was an amazing decision!  My boyfriend and I ended up being the only two who booked with Iguana Mama during our excursion day, so we had an individual tour, which was so nice!  Our tour guide, Raul, was so great and fun the whole way.  We ended up linking up with another tour group once we got to the falls.  The hike up to the falls wasn't too bad for us (being 27 and pretty active), but we had many others walking up with us at many different ages who all seemed to do fine.  We took many breaks along the way, which helped a lot.  Once we got to the falls, we started with the ziplines then followed with the waterfall slides/jumps.  As someone who is afraid of heights, I didn't find them too scary (but did need some words of encouragement a few times).  If someone is too scared, there was always an alternative ladder to climb down.  After the tour, we had a Dominican lunch (which was included with the tour) before heading back to the ship port.  We still had about 1-2 hours before "all aboard", so we got to spend a bit of time at the Tiano Bay pools right near the ship that were completely free.  This ended up being our favorite excursion day of our cruise, and I couldn't recommend Iguana Mama enough!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are interested in this. Our family of 5 is split - 3 daredevils and 2 more conservative. I am curious as to how the more conservative folks can enjoy this tour. You mentioned ladders down to the water. Are there any spots where you have to jump? My wife, being one of the conservative, is fine with swimming and hiking but will not jump off rocks or slide down the slides. Would we be able to do this tour and enjoy it or should we pick something else? 

@Reds4life from what I can recall, for every jump, there was always a ladder alternative. Most of the slides though do not have an alternative ladder, so you would have to go down the slide. Though all the slides were very short, so I can’t imagine they would be too scary. They always have people helping you down the slides too to make you feel better.  I think between the zip lines and fun with family that this tour can still be enjoyable for all, even if they do not jump. I feel that it is MOST fun if jumping/sliding, but I can still see it being fun for all! 

11 minutes ago, laauurrr said:

@Reds4life from what I can recall, for every jump, there was always a ladder alternative. Most of the slides though do not have an alternative ladder, so you would have to go down the slide. Though all the slides were very short, so I can’t imagine they would be too scary. They always have people helping you down the slides too to make you feel better.  I think between the zip lines and fun with family that this tour can still be enjoyable for all, even if they do not jump. I feel that it is MOST fun if jumping/sliding, but I can still see it being fun for all! 

thanks for the info!!!

I too am the more cautious type & prefer not to slide or jump but my adult kids want to go. The scenery looks amazing & once in the water I am fine, I just don't do slides on ships or water parks. I have this reserved but still thinking about it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at a tour like this and have watched a few video's online. Sliding down the rocks, does it hurt your bottom? Does it sling you into the rocks that would hurt your sides or elbows or anything? I'm known to be one of those that is danger prone and if anything is going to happen in our group it's going to be me. 😁

@mitsugirly it did not hurt! They did recommend women wearing shorts over your swimsuit and water shoes for all. I did wear a one piece swimsuit and shorts plus water shoes and that helped a lot I think with not getting hurt by the rocks. The slides are very smooth, so it shouldn’t be an issue. You also wear a life jacket. So I’d recommend wearing those things, and you’ll be fine!

1 hour ago, laauurrr said:

@mitsugirly it did not hurt! They did recommend women wearing shorts over your swimsuit and water shoes for all. I did wear a one piece swimsuit and shorts plus water shoes and that helped a lot I think with not getting hurt by the rocks. The slides are very smooth, so it shouldn’t be an issue. You also wear a life jacket. So I’d recommend wearing those things, and you’ll be fine!

Thank you so much for the info. I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 9:33 PM, laauurrr said:

Yes I did. It was about an hour drive.

Does the 1 hour drive replace the 45 minute hike to the falls, or is that just to get to the Damajagua National Park area? I’ve wanted to take this excursion since Amber Cove opened, but I’m concerned that it might not be appropriate for my age (62) and fitness level. Any older, “heavy” guys taken this tour?

Thank you!

ohiowilly

Just now, ohiowilly said:

Does the 1 hour drive replace the 45 minute hike to the falls, or is that just to get to the Damajagua National Park area? I’ve wanted to take this excursion since Amber Cove opened, but I’m concerned that it might not be appropriate for my age (62) and fitness level. Any older, “heavy” guys taken this tour?

Thank you!

ohiowilly

The 1 hour drive is to get to Damajagua. Then you hike ~30-45 min up to the falls and zip lines. They do take several breaks during the hike.