Airline Seating Maps - Suggestions for Accurate Up-To-Date Information

CDNPolar

Not sure where else to put this.

I research my air extensively before booking including the airline, aircraft type, route, connections, connection time, and seating configuration in each cabin.  Just something that gets me excited....haha.

I have always been a fond user of SeatGuru, because you key in your airline, date, and flight number and it responds with the seating configuration of the aircraft you will be on.

Lately I have seen that especially with Premium Economy SeatGuru is not accurate as often the airline uses a different configuration if the flight is international vs. domestic. International flights are 2 / 3 / 2 and domestic are 3 / 3  / 3.  You can choose alternate configurations, but you are never certain what you are actually looking at.

I was also informed in another discussion that SeatGuru is not being updated any longer.

I am typically flying Toronto Canada to Europe or Asia.

Other than SeatGuru, what are your recommendations for an accurate seat map when doing flight research?

Thanks!

43 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Seat Guru is horrible as half the time, they don't even have all configurations of a particular aircraft on any given airline.  Aerolopa is much better though they don't (yet, maybe someday they will) have reviews of seats.

Thank you Globaliser and megr1125, but am I missing the option on Aerolopa for keying your flight number and having the seat map pop up?  It seems that I need to know the aircraft and look for that under the airline?  If there are multiple configurations, how do I know which one is which?

17 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Thank you Globaliser and megr1125, but am I missing the option on Aerolopa for keying your flight number and having the seat map pop up?  It seems that I need to know the aircraft and look for that under the airline?  If there are multiple configurations, how do I know which one is which?

Can you not see the seat map on your airline website  & what they fly on your route?

Probably will not matter  as soon a  you book the flight that works for you they will make changes 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, megr1125 said:

Seat Guru is horrible as half the time, they don't even have all configurations of a particular aircraft on any given airline.  Aerolopa is much better though they don't (yet, maybe someday they will) have reviews of seats.

I do not think it has been updated in several years

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

You won't from just Aerolopa.  You need a two-step process.  First is to get the correct aircraft information.  Best source is the operating carrier website, with ExpertFlyer as a second choice.  You may need to do some back and forth comparison to determine which config is yours....usually best done by looking at row numbers.  Then Aerolopa can give you more detailed info on your seating and a better graphical picture of what the cabin will be like.

I gave up on SeatGuru years ago.  Their evaluations were often off, and the seat reviews veered off into cabin service and non-seat issues.  Aerolopa is more of a Joe Friday approach - just facts and you make your own assessments.

Use the airline information - it's the source.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I have always been a fond user of SeatGuru, because you key in your airline, date, and flight number and it responds with the seating configuration of the aircraft you will be on.

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

That option on SeatGuru was never reliable (= worse than useless, because it was often misleading), so it's probably better that it isn't there on aerolopa.

You should be able to see the configuration for your flight (or your possible flights, if you're trying to choose between them) by trying to pre-allocate a seat on your airline's website.

Alternatively, you can use ExpertFlyer to find the exact seat map for your flight (or possible flights) - I think that this can be done with a free subscription if seat maps are the only thing that you require. ExpertFlyer uses real-time information drawn from airline reservations systems, so it is pretty much as accurate as any source can be. SeatGuru's attempts to retrieve the seat map on the basis of your flight number never seemed to draw on accurate real-time information - basically, it often seemed to be guessing.

When you get the configuration from one of these sources, aerolopa will then give you an accurate seat map. My own experience is that it can be more accurate than airline websites' own seat maps.

As for SeatGuru's "reviews", they were as often as not just wild guesswork. With the accurate maps that aerolopa gives you, you can actually work out a lot of this for yourself, and probably more accurately than SeatGuru's guesses. Unfortunately, aerolopa's seat maps don't have everything - one of the things that I think it's missing is the exact locations of underseat IFE boxes.

• Thanks 2