Just got an email outlining the "NEW" offerings

canadarocks

3 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

We paid $ 200 pp + port fees/taxes for a mini-suite on our 12-day upcoming cruise.  When we booked, Alfredo's and OceanNow were free.  Now we have to pay for these services which in the aggregate will make up a substantial percentage of our cruise fare.

Gambler?   You're complaining about the changes regarding a few bucks yet you are the recipient of a gambler rate.  You have zero legs to stand on complaining about the changes since you get a fantastic reduced price fare. 

Now, start paying what the majority of people pay and your complaint will have more merit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCX22 said:

The trick now is to book closer to sail date and abandon booking so far in advance.  There will be minimal surprises of new charges/changes to amenties and passengers will be able to take advantage of the Drop and Go rates.

And pay 50% more for your airfare over a 14.99 charge and whatever you'd possibly spend at Alfredo's.

1 minute ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

And pay 50% more for your airfare over a 14.99 charge and whatever you'd possibly spend at Alfredo's.

You have no idea what that person's flight status is or how close they live to a port.

• Like 1

"That's it!  Adding $14.99 to what I thought I'd be paying is too much.  I'm out!  This is an outrage!"

To what situation is this a rational response?

A. If your pre-purchased movie ticket pass was increased?

B. If your butcher increased the price per pound on your favorite Angus steak?

C. If your pre-purchased cruise for hundreds/thousands of dollars increased an optional service fee?

D. All of the above

E. Only choices A and B

Half the people on these threads would answer D, all of the above. 

I just don't get it...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JGmf said:

"That's it!  Adding $14.99 to what I thought I'd be paying is too much.  I'm out!  This is an outrage!"

C. If your pre-purchased cruise for hundreds/thousands of dollars increased an optional service fee?

D. All of the above

E. Only choices A and B

I just don't get it...

Yeah but it doesn't have to be that extreme. I'm not outraged, I'm annoyed. I think people are justifiably annoyed. I'm already not 'loyal' to Princess or any other line, so I can add this to the list of things I look at when choosing future cruise bookings. As somebody else stated, Princess doesn't need/want/care about my style of cruising anyways.

All of us here on CC are in the fortunate position to be able to discretionarily spend on travel and make the best choice for our individual circumstances. My choice is to go on the cruise, have a wonderful time without spending extra money on the items that were previously included, and look elsewhere the next time I'm shopping for a cruise. It's really not so outrageous as you make it sound.

P.S. My favorite steakhouse raised the price of their steaks (as EVERYONE has done) and I stopped ordering the steak. It's part of having a budget and sticking to it. Someday I might be in a financial position to not have to worry about a budget and then I won't care if they add $14.99/$14.99/$5.00 whatever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ldtr said:

Let's see a 12 day cruise at 200 per passenger per day. The 14.95 optional cost for using the App is .6%.

If you ate at Alfredos once every day of the cruise that would total 7.5%. Most likely less.  After all.it is optional and while not the same there is still slice.

Actually its 200 per passenger TOTAL for 12 days for the mini-suite.  So the percentage is much higher.

13 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

P.S. My favorite steakhouse raised the price of their steaks (as EVERYONE has done) and I stopped ordering the steak. It's part of having a budget and sticking to it. Someday I might be in a financial position to not have to worry about a budget and then I won't care if they add $14.99/$14.99/$5.00 whatever.

I completely understand the sentiment of your post. I keep telling people here that the Crown Grill is not worth the $39 cover charge to me. Maybe if it were half that OR had unlimited entrees, I'd be open to it. But, at $39, it's not worth it to me for the quality of steak they offer.  One or two people kept stating, "CG is cheaper than the competition" which has nothing to do with what I was saying.

You're absolutely right, we're all blessed enough to discretionary spend for travel, and I'm fine with paying more for a better and more premium experience where I'm more of a name and less of a number on some bean counter's spreadsheet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Actually its 200 per passenger TOTAL for 12 days for the mini-suite.  So the percentage is much higher.

So, you couldn't confirm my assumptions that you got a gambler rate.  You still have no legs to stand on complaining about a 14.99 charge to activate ocean now so your drinks can be delivered while you lose at the craps table.

44 minutes ago, JGmf said:

D. All of the above

E. Only choices A and B

I just don't get it...

How you spend your money is up to you.

I don't enjoy nickel and diming, and they've lost another customer here. Watch Don's Family Vacations, and you'll see one of his clients had Don cancel every single future Princess cruise over these changes. I'm not going to defend or schill for a multi-billion dollar corporation over something as cheap to make as pizza paid pennies on the dollar compared to citizens from western nations.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

They should have sent it out to everyone that is in the system that has a current reservation.

But they haven’t! You have seen the posts from pax who sail in the next few days/weeks and they haven’t received anything. And some say that’s okay because ‘they can’. Poor show from them and the posters who say it’s fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Too funny. getting a comped rate at about 1/10 normal rate or less and complaining.

1 hour ago, villauk said:

But they haven’t! You have seen the posts from pax who sail in the next few days/weeks and they haven’t received anything. And some say that’s okay because ‘they can’. Poor show from them and the posters who say it’s fine.

Not quite said that it was no different than what they have done for years.  you seem to ignore the second part of my statement when you quote the first part.

Did you book direct ot through a TA?

I have gotten notifications for the 3 cruises i have booked. 

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Gambler?   You're complaining about the changes regarding a few bucks yet you are the recipient of a gambler rate.  You have zero legs to stand on complaining about the changes since you get a fantastic reduced price fare. 

Now, start paying what the majority of people pay and your complaint will have more merit.

The complaint if not about the $$.   it is the principle.  If it were $0.01 it would be an issue.

I am in real estate.  If the seller fails to disclose a 20 dollar fee to the HOA, the seller has to pay.  Even if the HOA changed the fee the day before, and the seller had no say in the matter.  Because that is what was agreed to.  20 bucks on a half million is totally immaterial.  But it matters - in principle.   If the seller finds out during the process, and discloses, it gives the buyer an opportunity to cancel.  Yes, over 20 bucks (no, in reality nobody is going to do this, but could).  that is how a contract works.

Princess said the fare includes oceanNow and pizza from alfredos.  They absolutely can change that going forward.  but need to keep it for those who already booked.  it was part of the "contract"  (and yes, I know, their legal team has a billion words saying otherwise, so "legally" they can do it, I am speaking logically)

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, villauk said:

Makes zero sense to me that we got the email regarding a sailing next August and others who are sailing in a few weeks have gotten nothing 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villauk said:

As I previously stated, not a good way to start a cruise: walk on board and find out you haven’t got what they said you had when you paid! Great customer service there - wait until the person is on board to find out. No excuse for that, no matter how many times you keep stating that they can do it!

I am stating that it is normal policy. Nothing unique or unusual. If it is optional it is subject to change with out notice and changes are usually without notice. In some cases there are announcements with no letters.

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Airfare has never been 50% more expensive for any of my Drop and Go bookings.  Book at around the 80 day mark for sailings with a 90 day final payment.  Also probably won’t have to deal with as many airline schedule changes because it’s so close to departure.

3 hours ago, mcship said:

It is not "optional items".  They were included in the base fare (pizza and oceanNow).  If a company can arbitrarily change the terms of your purchase, then why bother?  Yes, in the fine print, some of this is covered from a lawyer perspective.  But lawyering up is not good customer service.

One claim the same about many other things over the years. Nothing new. 

Edited by ldtr

Cruise lines aren’t registered in U.S., so they don’t have to abide by U.S. contract law.  They don’t pay taxes to the U.S. and are very loosely governed by U.S. law in general.  The U.S. government can’t choke them into following laws like the domestic airlines that have passenger bills of rights and regulation by the DOT. 

12 minutes ago, mcship said:

The complaint if not about the $$.   it is the principle.  If it were $0.01 it would be an issue.

I am in real estate.  If the seller fails to disclose a 20 dollar fee to the HOA, the seller has to pay.  Even if the HOA changed the fee the day before, and the seller had no say in the matter.  Because that is what was agreed to.  20 bucks on a half million is totally immaterial.  But it matters - in principle.   If the seller finds out during the process, and discloses, it gives the buyer an opportunity to cancel.  Yes, over 20 bucks (no, in reality nobody is going to do this, but could).  that is how a contract works.

Princess said the fare includes oceanNow and pizza from alfredos.  They absolutely can change that going forward.  but need to keep it for those who already booked.  it was part of the "contract"  (and yes, I know, their legal team has a billion words saying otherwise, so "legally" they can do it, I am speaking logically)

12 minutes ago, ldtr said:

In some cases there are announcements with no letters.

But there have been, however, not to everyone. It appears that those on imminent cruises, maybe from certain areas, have not been informed. So why? 

40 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

How you spend your money is up to you.

I don't enjoy nickel and diming, and they've lost another customer here. Watch Don's Family Vacations, and you'll see one of his clients had Don cancel every single future Princess cruise over these changes. I'm not going to defend or schill for a multi-billion dollar corporation over something as cheap to make as pizza paid pennies on the dollar compared to citizens from western nations.

So have you canceled all of your cruises ?

• Thanks 1