Panama Canal…things disappear?

janetcbl

I agree that one needs to be flexible when traveling these days, whether by air or cruise.  You just never know what might happen.  That said, I think it is a little unfair for Viking to post a port in advance if they know there is little chance of stopping there.  This is unlike cancelling a port because of weather.  It could be the case that someone chooses a cruise because they want to go to that port, in particular.  I have been to the Panama Canal before.  Same for Mexico and Costa Rica.  A draw for me was the chance to go to Nicaragua.  I am not terribly disappointed.  I have no intention of canceling.  But I can understand if others might.  I have a cruise coming up in 2025 that includes North Africa.  I definitely would cancel if I knew in advance that the likelihood of stopping in some ports was practically nil.  In short, I think there should be truth in advertising.  

• Like 2

I agree with Romo - I just received an email offering free air for the next few Panama & Pacific cruises, and the itineraries all include a free excursion in Leon. This is after we all received emails about the substitution with a sea day. Very disappointed in Viking not correcting this.

18 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We did this itinerary way back in March of 2022.

No Nicaragua then either.  Funny thing - no one seemed as upset as this group is.  

Yes - this cruise has a lot of sea days and it was made even more by "missing" Leon.  It sort of never was there in the first place.  Probably Viking should just "Remove it" but when I asked, they said that they carefully state any and all ports and be eliminated or changed at any time - which is no doubt true.

We left Costa Rica for LA and had lots of sea days.  Sadly, a passenger health emergency caused the ship to make a middle of the night drop off in Puerto Vallarta, thus having us arrive in Cabo around dinner time.  People could go ashore for 1-2 hours but all excursions cancelled.  We bowed out, as the view from where we anchored and the sunset was spectacular.  So by the time we got to LA, we had perhaps 7 straight sea days and just one stop from Panama.

Central America/Mexico is not really a highlight of these cruises - it is the Panama Canal.  Our thought is that it is almost like a repositioning cruise.  Fortunately our expectations had been set low enough ahead of time.  Having expectations too high or wrong seems to be the cause of most people's angst, understandably so.  Traveling these days is full of unmet expectations, so we've adjusted ours downwards on all trips - else you might as well not travel 🙂

Kent, I’ll tell you why some of us are upset about it. Viking has obviously known that this is an ongoing problem with Nicaragua, as apparently no cruise ships have docked there since before Covid. So the very upset man’s argument was “bait & switch”! A bit exaggerated, but his point is that this port and the excursions have been included on Viking’s website for all this time. Yet this cancellation is NO sudden surprise to them. I believe that there should have been a good Plan B already in place, planned over the 2 full years since the 2021 start up. So I do feel cheated, especially since they haven’t taken the time to find an alternate port or given us some form of credit. Though I like sea days, one more port on the Pacific side was something we had looked forward to. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Romocruiser said:

I agree that one needs to be flexible when traveling these days, whether by air or cruise.  You just never know what might happen.  That said, I think it is a little unfair for Viking to post a port in advance if they know there is little chance of stopping there.  This is unlike cancelling a port because of weather.  It could be the case that someone chooses a cruise because they want to go to that port, in particular.  I have been to the Panama Canal before.  Same for Mexico and Costa Rica.  A draw for me was the chance to go to Nicaragua.  I am not terribly disappointed.  I have no intention of canceling.  But I can understand if others might.  I have a cruise coming up in 2025 that includes North Africa.  I definitely would cancel if I knew in advance that the likelihood of stopping in some ports was practically nil.  In short, I think there should be truth in advertising.  

I totally agree with you.

Viking should have been more public about the Nicaragua thing.  Maybe they were holding out hope.

Unfortunately for many, this news has been published by cruisers (FB and Cruise Critic) for over 2 years, so no surprise for us, even when we booked the cruise, but understand not everyone is connected to social media reports or is able to do research.

We also have a Viking cruise scheduled in late 2024 that includes North Africa (and Malta).  I am fully aware that the North Africa ports might be cancelled due to strife and whatever.  I've read reports in the past that this has happened before.  That being said, I made the decision to book anyways - I have until 120 days with just minor penalty if I choose - or I can transfer the booking number to some cruise years into the future at no cost.

Yes - sadly, Viking is a good cruise line in my opinion, but does a very poor job of advertising and communication - and always has been that way.  I guess we either accept that or don't cruise with them.

1 hour ago, Mariastreby said:

Kent, I’ll tell you why some of us are upset about it. Viking has obviously known that this is an ongoing problem with Nicaragua, as apparently no cruise ships have docked there since before Covid. So the very upset man’s argument was “bait & switch”! A bit exaggerated, but his point is that this port and the excursions have been included on Viking’s website for all this time. Yet this cancellation is NO sudden surprise to them. I believe that there should have been a good Plan B already in place, planned over the 2 full years since the 2021 start up. So I do feel cheated, especially since they haven’t taken the time to find an alternate port or given us some form of credit. Though I like sea days, one more port on the Pacific side was something we had looked forward to. 

Totally agree with you, Maria.  See my post above to Romocruiser.

Certainly they should have done a lot more for their customers.  As I said, they are at least consistent in their lack of communication.  All we can do is make our own decisions with our pocketbooks.  I've resigned to either accept this negative aspect of Viking or not cruise anymore with them.

My Opinion: for the past, what, 50 years, that country could pound sand for all I care. Soooo, if your trip was a must to go there then maybe fly to it.

As for I, WOW more sea days on a Vikikg Ocean ship.We love the Vikikg sea days. Cooking classes, High Tea, reading, having a drink or three. With some of the best team we have ever been with. We've been around the world, both ways, up down left and right. Ocean days on a Vikikg Ocean ship is a high light. Sure we get off, see a souvenir shop, a this and a that. Back onboard for a smile and hello. WOW, gets no better. No? 

Enjoy the ride, 

Like I say, My opinion, That and 5 bucks gets me a coffee at the Star buck s Happy Sunday all. . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ray4Fun said:

My Opinion: for the past, what, 50 years, that country could pound sand for all I care. Soooo, if your trip was a must to go there then maybe fly to it.

As for I, WOW more sea days on a Vikikg Ocean ship.We love the Vikikg sea days. Cooking classes, High Tea, reading, having a drink or three. With some of the best team we have ever been with. We've been around the world, both ways, up down left and right. Ocean days on a Vikikg Ocean ship is a high light. Sure we get off, see a souvenir shop, a this and a that. Back onboard for a smile and hello. WOW, gets no better. No? 

Enjoy the ride, 

Like I say, My opinion, That and 5 bucks gets me a coffee at the Star buck s Happy Sunday all. . 

Agree with you on Sea Days!  In fact, we could have cared less about Nicaragua.  We did have fabulous sea weather all up the coast from Costa Rica to Los Angeles.  Wonderful sunsets as well.  So much to do on sea days - we had some excellent lecturers as well.  We thoroughly enjoyed our Panama Cruise.  I do see the other side where people feel they were "sold" something that wasn't delivered, but I have come to expect that in the tourism industry post-COVID. Not just Viking, but airlines, hotels, destinations, and more.  Just have to go with it, and look for the good things, else you might as well just stay home. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Agree with you on Sea Days!  In fact, we could have cared less about Nicaragua.  We did have fabulous sea weather all up the coast from Costa Rica to Los Angeles.  Wonderful sunsets as well.  So much to do on sea days - we had some excellent lecturers as well.  We thoroughly enjoyed our Panama Cruise.  I do see the other side where people feel they were "sold" something that wasn't delivered, but I have come to expect that in the tourism industry post-COVID. Not just Viking, but airlines, hotels, destinations, and more.  Just have to go with it, and look for the good things, else you might as well just stay home. 🙂

I know your style is to live and let live, let the bad stuff just roll off your back, or whatever. I had considered myself a “go with the flow while traveling” type, but not at this point. Because this is now the 4th time for all of our 4 cruises that Viking has changed or canceled a port a couple months before the cruise. First, for our 2022 Trade Routes cruise, a full day in Barcelona was exchanged for Valencia. Didn’t bother us much, but they gave everyone a voucher for 15% of what we each had paid for that cruise. It was great to put toward our upcoming Canada cruise. Then came our last winter’s cruise, when Key West was canceled.  They also saw that coming, but at least gave everyone a $150 shipboard credit. On our upcoming cruise, lovely Bar Harbor (and Acadia Park) were canceled. But they did give us an alternate small Maine port town which really has nothing to offer. At least it was was something.

However, just a sea day for this Nicaragua cancellation, with nothing in return, is totally taking us for granted. I think I may do as Kent mentioned; we are leaning towards moving on to another cruise line. Four non-weather related port cancellations out of 4 cruises is just unacceptable. We love many things about Viking, but 4 for 4 isn’t right. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mariastreby said:

I know your style is to live and let live, let the bad stuff just roll off your back, or whatever. I had considered myself a “go with the flow while traveling” type, but not at this point. Because this is now the 4th time for all of our 4 cruises that Viking has changed or canceled a port a couple months before the cruise. First, for our 2022 Trade Routes cruise, a full day in Barcelona was exchanged for Valencia. Didn’t bother us much, but they gave everyone a voucher for 15% of what we each had paid for that cruise. It was great to put toward our upcoming Canada cruise. Then came our last winter’s cruise, when Key West was canceled.  They also saw that coming, but at least gave everyone a $150 shipboard credit. On our upcoming cruise, lovely Bar Harbor (and Acadia Park) were canceled. But they did give us an alternate small Maine port town which really has nothing to offer. At least it was was something.

However, just a sea day for this Nicaragua cancellation, with nothing in return, is totally taking us for granted. I think I may do as Kent mentioned; we are leaning towards moving on to another cruise line. Four non-weather related port cancellations out of 4 cruises is just unacceptable. We love many things about Viking, but 4 for 4 isn’t right. 

Maria / can’t help but agree with your frustration..   still looking forward to seeing you and Mike next month!  

• Like 1

I wonder if Viking will offer some kind of compensation for the missed Nicaragua port.  In theory, we already paid for the included excursion, and I assume port taxes and other fees associated with visiting there.  I havent heard anything yet.   I really hope that some Viking representative is reading this thread.  Viking should not take its most loyal cruisers for granted.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We also had a port cancelled - Colon.  We had booked the 2 day extension so we would be able to see Panama City (11/27/23 cruise).  Now we have an extra day in Panama City and are wondering what we will do with that many days in Panama City.  It can be frustrating!

On 9/28/2023 at 1:13 PM, maltoose181 said:

We also had a port cancelled - Colon.  We had booked the 2 day extension so we would be able to see Panama City (11/27/23 cruise).  Now we have an extra day in Panama City and are wondering what we will do with that many days in Panama City.  It can be frustrating!

Now that’s a real shame. Missing Colon causes missing some of the best excursions on the whole itinerary. Where will you go then,  straight to Costa Rica? Is your cruise on the Star or the Mars? We’re among the ones missing Nicaragua and getting no credit for it on a Christmas cruise from “sea to aging sea”. 

On 9/28/2023 at 12:13 PM, maltoose181 said:

Go ports of call on CC. Look for Panama City. Ask there about thing to do and excursions to take  while in Panama City. You will lots more suggestions than on Viking Forum. You can see some the canal, it history  , visit the old town area, Learn the history of Panama  and the  burning  of Panama City and Portobello by  English pirates etc.  I loved my Panama Canal cruise and visiting 

Central America and Mexico . The canal itself is a wonder of the world. 

Edited by Azulann