January Crossing question

richs52

I will be booking a January eastbound crossing on QM2 in 2025 for my 50th Birthday.  This will be my first crossing.  I realize that weather in January will be cold.  I'm wondering if a balcony stateroom is useable at this time of year, or if I should just book an inside.  Looking for opinions from folks who have done both. Thank you.  

You might not get much use out of a balcony in January, but they are good for checking the weather or just getting a bit of fresh air. The cabins are larger as well so it's worth it unless the price difference is silly. 

• Like 2

The obvious compromise are the sheltered balconies, which are indeed heavily sheltered against much of any bad weather, while still allowing you some fresh air and direct sea views. It's often the case that even if the promenade decks are off limits then the sheltered balconies are OK to use, if wrapped up a bit.

Other factor is that daylight is rather limited in January.

Arguments for inside: well you're going to be soooooo busy doing nothing that all you will only use the stateroom for sleep purposes, and you can't use a balcony when asleep (or let us hope so). Fares are also sometimes quite affordable so you can afford to do more trips on Cunard vessels with the money saved. Some travellers find inside more stable if there is a bit of a roll going on, but mathematically it's only a small difference.

• Like 3

Define "useable." We have always been out on the balcony for some period of time in all seasons. One may have to bundle up more in the winter, though. The saying from Norway translated something like “There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.”

Sheltered balconies are a good idea for winter.

• Like 3

Never done a January crossing, but typically do late November or early December, almost always in an obstructed view balcony.  Major benefit, for me, is that the cabin is flooded with light.  Lack of light is the reason why I stopped booking sheltered balconies some years ago.

Yes, I also step out on the balcony even in the worst of the weather just to smell the sea for a few minutes, particularly since Cunard is (to my mind) somewhat over-cautious in closing off the outside decks when the wind rises, but for me it is really the light that matters.

• Like 4