Travel documents

Dwright826

She will be fine. They check the birth date and first, middle name for a match. Just make sure her booking name matches her photo ID (driver's license). Also make sure it is government issued birth certificate and not a hospital one. 

• Like 4

I always bring my marriage license as well, just in case, because it links the drivers license and the birth cert together.  (but I've never been asked for it)

I'd rather be OVER prepared then under-prepared...  and if there's an issue off the ship, I feel like it'd be better to have some sort of evidence of the name change

Edited by angelsfort
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, twebster74 said:

Before we got passports, I always took my marriage license with me except for one time.  That one time I was questioned to the point I was getting concerned.  She advised me to always bring my marriage license.  

Exactly.

When my daughter was little, I always brought my husbands death certificate as well - so they didn't give me any trouble traveling with her alone.  I was her only guardian - no need for a letter approving my travel with her.

I agree smarter to have proof of the name change with you as they absolutely may require it.   AND if you find yourself in a bind in a foreign port the more docs with you the better.

Right from Carnival Website:

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the guest's full name (first name and last name) on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest's unexpired, government-issued photo I.D. that will be used for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. because of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required at embarkation, such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

Note: For guests about to or recently married, we strongly recommend that, if the unexpired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, the cruise booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name).  If the reservation was made in the married name, but the unexpired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required at embarkation, such as a marriage certificate or marriage license. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I agree smarter to have proof of the name change with you as they absolutely may require it.   AND if you find yourself in a bind in a foreign port the more docs with you the better.

Right from Carnival Website:

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the guest's full name (first name and last name) on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest's unexpired, government-issued photo I.D. that will be used for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. because of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required at embarkation, such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

Note: For guests about to or recently married, we strongly recommend that, if the unexpired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, the cruise booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name).  If the reservation was made in the married name, but the unexpired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required at embarkation, such as a marriage certificate or marriage license. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding. 

They are talking about the photo ID, not a birth certificate. If it were absolutely required then there would be a lot more people saying that they were required to show it at check-in and that is far from the case. It is better to have as a "just in case" but not strictly required.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

They are talking about the photo ID, not a birth certificate. If it were absolutely required then there would be a lot more people saying that they were required to show it at check-in and that is far from the case. It is better to have as a "just in case" but not strictly required.

I get what you are saying and I agree with you BUT...  that last line of the post "Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding. "  is enough for me to want to cover ALL the bases.  My BC doesn't match my drivers license...  here's why.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, john91498 said:

All we ever use are the passports. I don't recall ever being asked for a drivers license.

Silly goose... the OP is asking about using a drivers license and birth certificate in leu of passport.🤪

Passport trumps and that is ALL you need if you travel with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, angelsfort said:

I get what you are saying and I agree with you BUT...  that last line of the post "Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding. "  is enough for me to want to cover ALL the bases.  My BC doesn't match my drivers license...  here's why.

And I get what you are saying as well, but if the booking matches the ID there are no differences that would result in a denial of boarding. Yes, it is prudent to bring the bridging document just in case but it's "just in case", it's not "your cruise will be denied if you don't".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

And I get what you are saying as well, but if the booking matches the ID there are no differences that would result in a denial of boarding. Yes, it is prudent to bring the bridging document just in case but it's "just in case", it's not "your cruise will be denied if you don't".

Exactly. IF your booking name doesn't match your photo ID then there will be proof needed. Probably millions of women cruise with a different last name on their photo id than birth certificate each year. This is normal and if there was a big hassle we would surely know out here. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dwright826 said:

Sister will be sanding with her birth certificate and driver's license. Question is, will it be an issue that her drivers license has her married name and her birth certificate has her maiden name? 

Things may have changed but when I used my BC and ID they told me to bring my marriage certificate to bridge name.  

It doesn't have to do with your booking matching your ID when you board the ship but when you are debarking your cruise and are going through customs - if you are traveling on a birth certificate and a drivers license you have to be able to bridge the name change for the government to be allowed to re-enter the United States.  If you travel with a passport you have already provided all that proof

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, firedisney97 said:

It doesn't have to do with your booking matching your ID when you board the ship but when you are debarking your cruise and are going through customs - if you are traveling on a birth certificate and a drivers license you have to be able to bridge the name change for the government to be allowed to re-enter the United States.  If you travel with a passport you have already provided all that proof

Actually on closed loop cruises vetting on all passengers is done during the cruise, so by the time the ship returns everyone's info has been verified through a multitude of databases. When we applied for our passports we didn't need to provide the marriage license. 

9 hours ago, wemjam said:

Silly goose... the OP is asking about using a drivers license and birth certificate in leu of passport.🤪

Not on a cruise.  Passport or DL gets you onboard 

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Actually on closed loop cruises vetting on all passengers is done during the cruise, so by the time the ship returns everyone's info has been verified through a multitude of databases. When we applied for our passports we didn't need to provide the marriage license. 

That's why some select few get a pair of pretty bracelets put on after the cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FastShip24 said:

Not on a cruise.  Passport or DL gets you onboard 

You need to read the whole context.  My point was, that they were not asked for their drivers license BECAUSE they used their passport. Not that only a passport works.  I was responding to another poster who said:

17 hours ago, john91498 said:

All we ever use are the passports. I don't recall ever being asked for a drivers license.

• Like 1