Jump to content

Odd cabin question


AtlantaCruiser72
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, I know that when the beds are in a "twin" configuration typically they are an l-shaped layout.  I know there is the blue upholstered armrest on one side of the bed from when they were marketing as convertible to sofa during the day.  Is that armrest hard fixed to the base, or is it moveable?  I don't relish my traveling companion and I sleeping head to head like that with out something for spacing us apart a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While it's true there isn't much separation, my travel companion and I slept head to foot on our last trip. But I think this only works if your travel companion isn't too tall for the bed and does not have a habit of dislodging the bedsheets at night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I wonder if the beds could just be separated by 18-20" instead, like most normal cruise ship cabins.  the L-shape, no matter which direction you sleep is suboptimal and feels a bit like summer camp

nope, just the L-shape, as the base of one bed pivots towards the wall to form a couch if you like.  one caveat juuuust in case - that configuration only applies to non-suite cabins.  all suites have king beds, and they are not able to be split.  some suites have pull out couches, but not all.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

I'm hopeful at some point in the future, maybe with Scarlet's Drydock, VV will ditch these silly Ikea style soft beds and install more traditional beds that can be split side by side vs. head to tail L shape. 

Maybe add a second armchair if getting rid of the bed to become a sofa, although risks the room being too cluttered. It does feel like a sofa of some sort would be missing, but currently converting the bed to a sofa seems a lot of effort each time it needs to be done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, cantgetin said:

The only nice thing about the current bed set up is the huge drawer. I don't see why they couldn't change the bed set up but retain that feature.

That drawer is pretty awesome. I fit a week and a half’s worth of clothes in it, and still had plenty of room. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

I'm hopeful at some point in the future, maybe with Scarlet's Drydock, VV will ditch these silly Ikea style soft beds and install more traditional beds that can be split side by side vs. head to tail L shape. 


I would love a compromise. The ability to get rid of the bed and have a space to sit back socially as a large sofa is nice, but I agree for the two single beds sleeping not ideal. Maybe they could modify the fitting so the current beds can be a traditionally sleeping setup at night, but still the sofa in the day time.. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lustate said:


I would love a compromise. The ability to get rid of the bed and have a space to sit back socially as a large sofa is nice, but I agree for the two single beds sleeping not ideal. Maybe they could modify the fitting so the current beds can be a traditionally sleeping setup at night, but still the sofa in the day time.. 

When I was on there back in 2021 my friend and I took the mattress (if you want to call it that) off and investigated the whole set up. The "head" of the bed is on a pivot point that is anchored in the frame work. What I envisioned, after looking at it, was if they made the pivot point with a slot that could be pinned to secure it, they could pivot it and slide it down a bit to separate the beds more. It would mean moving the chair over but it would also allow a small area between the beds so it could be used for the person in that pivoted bed. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've done a few sailings sharing a cabin in the twin bed configuration, and I really love virgin's setup compared to other lines. We went head to foot and while it wouldn't work with anyone over 6' in the 'foot' position, if one of you isn't too tall then your heads are much further apart than in traditional twin beds, which feels way more private. Each to their own though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, kweenkmatt said:

How wide are the beds in a "single" set up?  I am sailing on my own and wondering if they can do 1 bed as a bed and the other in sofa mode during my cruise so I have a little extra space in the cabin.

That is no problem at all. I am thinking about doing the same thing on my cruise in December.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, kweenkmatt said:

How wide are the beds in a "single" set up?  I am sailing on my own and wondering if they can do 1 bed as a bed and the other in sofa mode during my cruise so I have a little extra space in the cabin.

if you're in an actual solo room, i believe it's just one bed - maybe full size vs. a twin?  i've poked my head in those rooms a few times, and i'm pretty sure they're not a standard "seabed."  if you're in a double cabin and asking if you can have 1 bed as a bed and the other as a couch, there's really no reason you couldn't do that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, _tacocat_ said:

if you're in an actual solo room, i believe it's just one bed - maybe full size vs. a twin?  i've poked my head in those rooms a few times, and i'm pretty sure they're not a standard "seabed."  if you're in a double cabin and asking if you can have 1 bed as a bed and the other as a couch, there's really no reason you couldn't do that!

 

I'm in a regular sea terrace room.  Hoping they can make me a sofa  😃

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I use this topic to avoid creating a new one.

 

Can somebody tell me if the inside cabin (The Social) can be set up with a double bed?

 

DW and me want to try Virgin, and we absolutely wsnt a double bed. If The Social has two twin beds, I think we would take The Insider.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are 2 person cabins that can be set up as a diouble bed, my friend and her husband had one and said it was their favorite cabin on the ship.  THe SOCIAL insider is 4 twin beds, like a dorm room   To get the double bed, you book THe Insider.  The other options are the Social with 4 twins and the solo with 1 twin.

 

Be aware that sometines a Sea Terrace (balcony) can actually be cheaper than an insider.  The Sea Terrace is the lowest level that qualifies for some perks like the MNVV.  So if you have a TA who has MNVVs, that's an automatic $300 off as well as $600 in Loot.  I just clicked on a 4 night cruise for giggles--the insider for 2 people was $2000, the Sea Terrace for 2, before discounts, was $2400.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

For the Social  Insider- Can they make the 2 bottom beds as one double or must it stay as two twins?

I wonder why the Social Insider is cheaper for 2 adults than the regular double Insider. 

Edited by gsutiger2
Misspelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2023 at 5:06 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

So, I know that when the beds are in a "twin" configuration typically they are an l-shaped layout.  I know there is the blue upholstered armrest on one side of the bed from when they were marketing as convertible to sofa during the day.  Is that armrest hard fixed to the base, or is it moveable?  I don't relish my traveling companion and I sleeping head to head like that with out something for spacing us apart a bit.

The L-shaped configuration, head to head is the only option.  It's on a fixed base with one pivot point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Set Sail Beyond the Ordinary with Oceania Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...