Struggling with plans in Cozumel

jp2746

We have been to Cozumel several times.  We usually just go to Paradise Beach (before going all-inclusive which worked for us as we are non-drinkers).  Last trip we went on a formal excursion riding ATV's.  It was a ton of fun and would do something like this again, but this year we have family who own ATV's.  They are very easy going and will be happy no matter what, but for some reason I am feeling tons of pressure.  

There are 7 of us.  We are all adults and would like to do a little shopping for some fake items (like Foakleys for our kids) and then go to the beach somewhere that isn't an all-inclusive.  I was talking to the other family going with us and they said they didn't care what we do, but I feel like they want something laid back. I have hired a van for the day and am second guessing this decision.  One adult said that they may want to stay on the boat or just go to a close beach and hang out for the day.  So, now I am thinking that maybe we would be better off taking a cab from the International Cruise port to San Miguel and then to some beach and back to the ship.  This may give us some leeway in case a couple want to branch off and do their own thing?  I'm not sure what else we would do with the driver beside go shop and to the beach.  We are paying $320 for the day and I think it would probably be cheaper to just get a cab from place to place?

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, jp2746 said:

We have been to Cozumel several times.  We usually just go to Paradise Beach (before going all-inclusive which worked for us as we are non-drinkers).  Last trip we went on a formal excursion riding ATV's.  It was a ton of fun and would do something like this again, but this year we have family who own ATV's.  They are very easy going and will be happy no matter what, but for some reason I am feeling tons of pressure.  

There are 7 of us.  We are all adults and would like to do a little shopping for some fake items (like Foakleys for our kids) and then go to the beach somewhere that isn't an all-inclusive.  I was talking to the other family going with us and they said they didn't care what we do, but I feel like they want something laid back. I have hired a van for the day and am second guessing this decision.  One adult said that they may want to stay on the boat or just go to a close beach and hang out for the day.  So, now I am thinking that maybe we would be better off taking a cab from the International Cruise port to San Miguel and then to some beach and back to the ship.  This may give us some leeway in case a couple want to branch off and do their own thing?  I'm not sure what else we would do with the driver beside go shop and to the beach.  We are paying $320 for the day and I think it would probably be cheaper to just get a cab from place to place?

Thoughts?

A few more details would be useful as to what you actually require.

Do you need sandy beach, pool, activities (watersports), snorkeling, is eating/drinking important to any of you? 

Do you want to mainly settle in one place, or do you want to see what the island has to offer? 

what time of year are you going?

If you want to go round the island, or Punta Sur with lighthouse and beach, you definitely need a driver. If you ONLY  want San Miguel and ONE beach maybe a taxi would suffice.

Have you considered Cabana Beach for your group at Chankanaab, or Buccanos? Do you just want to sit on a beach and relax,  or some activities? Difficult to make recommendations without knowing what you require/expect from your day, mobility,  age range.

Not exactly sure what you mean by nearby beach - it is all ironshore around International but there are beach bars with sandy areas.

I am not sure you will find more shopping in San Miguel than at the ports, unless you are looking for something specific, or are willing to go back away from the main road for some local cuisine. I wouldn’t pay for a taxi to San Miguel just for souvenirs. 

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

A few more details would be useful as to what you actually require.

Do you need sandy beach, pool, activities (watersports), snorkeling, is eating/drinking important to any of you? 

Do you want to mainly settle in one place, or do you want to see what the island has to offer? 

what time of year are you going?

If you want to go round the island, or Punta Sur with lighthouse and beach, you definitely need a driver. If you ONLY  want San Miguel and ONE beach maybe a taxi would suffice.

Have you considered Cabana Beach for your group at Chankanaab, or Buccanos? Do you just want to sit on a beach and relax,  or some activities? Difficult to make recommendations without knowing what you require/expect from your day, mobility,  age range.

Not exactly sure what you mean by nearby beach - it is all ironshore around International but there are beach bars with sandy areas.

I am not sure you will find more shopping in San Miguel than at the ports, unless you are looking for something specific, or are willing to go back away from the main road for some local cuisine. I wouldn’t pay for a taxi to San Miguel just for souvenirs. 

I think we just need a beach, no real amenities.  Food close by would be nice.  I would like to see more of the Island, but I honestly don't know what to do or what to see.  I will check out Chankanaab.  We are going in September and some of us just want to hang out by the beach and enjoy the day, but I personally would love to do some fun stuff like parasailing.  That isn't a deal breaker though. I am considering just canceling the driver, shopping by the port and going to a beach.  We are all fully mobile in our 50's. We like to do some fun, out of the ordinary things.  I seriously am considering Chankanaab just because I want to swim with the Manatees.  Everyone else could go to the beach at Chankanaab  for the day.  

17 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

I think we just need a beach, no real amenities.  Food close by would be nice.  I would like to see more of the Island, but I honestly don't know what to do or what to see.  I will check out Chankanaab.  We are going in September and some of us just want to hang out by the beach and enjoy the day, but I personally would love to do some fun stuff like parasailing.  That isn't a deal breaker though. I am considering just canceling the driver, shopping by the port and going to a beach.  We are all fully mobile in our 50's. We like to do some fun, out of the ordinary things.  I seriously am considering Chankanaab just because I want to swim with the Manatees.  Everyone else could go to the beach at Chankanaab  for the day.  

https://thecabanabeach.com

https://buccanos.com/en/activities

There are recent reviews of both if these on CC or You-tube reviews.

https://www.toursplaza.com/recommended-stops/

• 2 weeks later...

I would shop at the port and then have a taxi driver take you to Alberto’s. It is in the general area of the beach clubs, just south of the Occidental but is quiet and more of a local’s place. They don’t have a lot of beach chairs and you are pretty much expected to get some food or drinks to use their area. But the view is gorgeous and it’s definitely very chill. 

Edited by momof3cruisers