Alaska May 2025 Vancouver

Hogladyrider

We are taking a repositioning cruise San Diego to Vancouver arriving Vancouver May 2, 2025.

Will need a one night hotel for May 2 as we board HAL Koningsdam May 3, 2025.

We will arrive in Vancouver early early May 2 and most hotel check ins are not until 3 or later.  Hopefully wherever we book will allow us to leave our luggage for the day so we can explore via bicycle or hop on hop off.

Looking for hotel suggestions that won't cost more than the cruise.  I realize it is too early to book that we will have to wait until 2024 to book but I like to do my homework.

We are both in our early 70's.  Thanks in advance.

39 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

Look at the YWCA Hotel. It gets good reviews and is reasonable by downtown Vancouver standards.

https://ywcavan.org/hotel

I like their web site...safe part of town?  We'd be interested in the discounted bicycle rental to visit Stanley Park.....hoping others who have stayed here will comment.  Thanks again!

23 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

I like their web site...safe part of town?  We'd be interested in the discounted bicycle rental to visit Stanley Park.....hoping others who have stayed here will comment.  Thanks again!

Yes, a safe part of town! Like basically every part of Vancouver, even the scary-LOOKING parts! This is actually where we stayed as tourists 20 years back, when the blocks immediately around it were a lot skeevier than they are now. It's not just reliably the cheapest good hotel, it's freshly renovated this year with a new tower extension only a couple of years old so it's bigger and shinier than ever.

Check reviews on the likes of Expedia, where you can only leave a review after a completed stay, and it tracks just as highly as it does on the likes of TripAdvisor - it's one the best-reviewed hotels in the city at any price-point, and very possibly the safest too (as well as profits primarily funding the local Ys women-aiding programs, the hotel is used as immediate shelter for women and kids fleeing abusive homes - so security, especially overnight, is taken seriously.

2 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

There are several posts in this forum that address that. Try the search function. Also, @martincath is a local who may jump in here and answer your question.

Thanks for the heads-up G!

• Like 2

Just a FYI - the Vancouver International Marathon with close to 20,000 runners is happening the weekend you are in Vancouver - the marathon date is Sunday May 4, 2025 and the finish line is only a couple of blocks from the cruise port - Canada Place.

I would suggest booking your hotel as soon as they open up - unlikely to get any real bargains - the Y would be a good one as it is away from the Marathon route.

Dennis

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Urban trekker said:

Just a FYI - the Vancouver International Marathon with close to 20,000 runners is happening the weekend you are in Vancouver - the marathon date is Sunday May 4, 2025 and the finish line is only a couple of blocks from the cruise port - Canada Place.

I would suggest booking your hotel as soon as they open up - unlikely to get any real bargains - the Y would be a good one as it is away from the Marathon route.

Dennis

Thank you, so I have been previously informed!  I plan on booking as soon as I can.  We arrive on May 2 and our cruise departs May 3 but I am sure the marathon will bring lots of folks into town for the weekend.

The Y looks like it suits our needs for sure a clean place to sleep and a bathroom for a quick overnite.  We will probably be tired as we will be out and about just about all day.

Thanks again for the info!

We’ve stayed at the Y a number of times.  I always get a room with a private bathroom—stayed at many a hostel in my European travels sharing when I was younger but not now!  The rooms are basic but clean.  I also like knowing that the cost of the room is being used to help others!  

The area around the hotel as stated by an earlier poster feels safe to us.  I like to eat at Juke Fried Chicken when in town and it’s a short walk from the hotel.  There are also convenience stores nearby if you need to pick up something.

We usually take the Sky Train to and from Canada Place.  The Y will also store your luggage for you.  We’ve also stored our luggage at the Pan Pacific and Canada Place for a small fee.

2 hours ago, disneyochem said:

We’ve stayed at the Y a number of times.  I always get a room with a private bathroom—stayed at many a hostel in my European travels sharing when I was younger but not now!  The rooms are basic but clean.  I also like knowing that the cost of the room is being used to help others!  

The area around the hotel as stated by an earlier poster feels safe to us.  I like to eat at Juke Fried Chicken when in town and it’s a short walk from the hotel.  There are also convenience stores nearby if you need to pick up something.

We usually take the Sky Train to and from Canada Place.  The Y will also store your luggage for you.  We’ve also stored our luggage at the Pan Pacific and Canada Place for a small fee.

Thank you this is very helpful info - Susan

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed in the Auberge Vancouver Hotel before and after our cruise this summer.  It is a block away from Canada Place and easy to get to.  We found their rates much lower than nearby hotels when we booked them.    We had a great stay and would use them again in the future.

1 hour ago, goofy2010 said:

We stayed in the Auberge Vancouver Hotel before and after our cruise this summer.  It is a block away from Canada Place and easy to get to.  We found their rates much lower than nearby hotels when we booked them.    We had a great stay and would use them again in the future.

Thank you I will add them to my research list.  I wish hotels would allow EARLY bookings waiting is the hardest part!

I'm repositioning on the opposite route in a couple weeks! I'm a budget traveler and got 2 nights at the YWCA for half of 1 night elsewhere, so more Vancouver to enjoy. (Thank you @martincath from previous posts!) I made my reservation online but later called to adjust, and customer service was friendly and efficient. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WannaSea said:

I'm repositioning on the opposite route in a couple weeks! I'm a budget traveler and got 2 nights at the YWCA for half of 1 night elsewhere, so more Vancouver to enjoy. (Thank you @martincath from previous posts!) I made my reservation online but later called to adjust, and customer service was friendly and efficient. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you would be so kind as to post here your thoughts after staying at the Y it would be greatly appreciated!

3 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

If you would be so kind as to post here your thoughts after staying at the Y it would be greatly appreciated!

I'll be happy to return here and share my YWCA/Vancouver experience for you. 2 more weeks counting down.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Hogladyrider I've completed my trip and happy to report the YWCA Hotel was great. Walked from the SkyTrain station to hotel in the afternoon, about 15 minutes, no problem. (I lucked out with sunny weather for my entire Vancouver stay, unneeded plan B had been taxi from the airport.) Uber from hotel to Canada Place was $9us, just a few minutes. Hotel was very clean with all needed amenities, check-in efficient, friendly and helpful staff. Not a lot of closet space but I was in the smallest solo room and not staying long so not a big deal. Good selection of restaurants just a few steps from hotel, so this would be great for a quick overnight. I stayed 2 nights and was able to catch the Hop On Hop Off around the corner in front of the Sandman after buying tix online, convenient start for a day's sightseeing. I'd definitely stay here again, I was very comfortable in the neighborhood and the room. And wow the price was easy on the budget.

2023-09-28 1.jpg

• Like 2