Repeat prescriptions

Fish & Chips

Depends on the drug and your insurance plan. Are you asking about prescription refills or prescription renewals? How long is the cruise?. Some insurance plans will allow for one early "vacation" refill. Others don't. Some drugs are controlled and extra refills are prohibited by law. Some people (with eligible drugs) just pay cash for what they need.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fish & Chips said:

Can anyone advise what they do regarding repeat prescriptions during a world cruise. I have been told that I am unable to obtain a prescription for 3 months.

You should talk to your  Doctor & Pharmacist

• Thanks 1

Many insurance companies will usually refill your prescription every 25 days. If you faithfully pick up your new prescription at 25 days, by the end of the year you will have a 60-day back up supply of your medications. You may not have enough time to accumulate the extra 60 day supply this way, depending on when your cruise departs.

I second @LHT28 recommendation to talk to your doctor and whichever pharmacy you normally use to help sort this out.   And, the private pay option mentioned by @mom says is generally a pretty straightforward solution, if that's a viable option for you.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your replies. It’s not for any controlled medicine just blood pressure tablets. The receptionist at my surgery informed me that I can’t have a prescription for 3 months. I should have also added that I am in the UK.

4 hours ago, Fish & Chips said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. It’s not for any controlled medicine just blood pressure tablets. The receptionist at my surgery informed me that I can’t have a prescription for 3 months. I should have also added that I am in the UK.

Our standard RX is  for  3 mths 

Different  Country  different rules

• Like 1

Whether you can obtain a 90 day supply, 30 day supply, or some lesser option depends on your drug plan (if you have a plan), how your physician writes the script, and applicable Federal/State regulations.  As a general rule, drugs containing narcotics have strict limitations (and may not even be legally imported into various countries.

Those of us who take longer trips outside our home country must do some careful planning.  There is no one size fits all solution, and in the case of narcotics (and some other drugs) there may not be a good solution.  Having a talk with your own prescribing physician is often the best starting point.

Hank

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fish & Chips said:

Sounds like you need to speak directly with your doctor, not the receptionist, and explain the situation.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 10:54 PM, Fish & Chips said:

Can anyone advise what they do regarding repeat prescriptions during a world cruise. I have been told that I am unable to obtain a prescription for 3 months.

There will normally be no issue with an NHS GP prescribing up to three months of medication (though it looks like you'll need to get through to them rather than the 'system says no' receptionist).  For more than that, the NHS considers that you have left the country and so you can't get an NHS prescription.  If you need more, that shouldn't stop your GP prescribing privately.  That also means that the pharmacist has to dispense privately, though for standard BP medications I suspect the drug cost will be smaller than you might expect!  On top of the drug cost there will be a dispensing fee.

• Like 1