all terrain cane

herbanrenewal

Not sure if anyone else can use this info - I'm having more problems with my arthritis, and have found it tough to walk at the beach - one of my favorite things to do during the summer. I have a hard time walking into the surf because of balance issues.  I got this new light weight cane from amazon, and I love it. It makes it possible for me to enjoy the surf and sand. Since so many cruisers are seniors, but still love beaches I thought I'd mention this solution to my problem-leight weight all-terrain cane. I'm thinking it may also work well on cobblestones in Europe.

all terrain cane.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This looks great!  I spent 11 days in France last spring and it seemed to me that all I did was look down on the ground. Once you take a fall or two, you get quite concerned about balance and worry about a mis-step.   Something like this would make me feel much more balanced and confident.  I am reminded of my first hip replacement.  We travelled to Florida; I'm a serious beach-walker like you.  I bought an extra tip for my cane and glued a lightweight cereal bowl on it so I could still enjoy strolling through the surf.  Worked a charm!

Edited by jsn55

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

This looks great!  I spent 11 days in France last spring and it seemed to me that all I did was look down on the ground. Once you take a fall or two, you get quite concerned about balance and worry about a mis-step.   Something like this would make me feel much more balanced and confident.  I am reminded of my first hip replacement.  We travelled to Florida; I'm a serious beach-walker like you.  I bought an extra tip for my cane and glued a lightweight cereal bowl on it so I could still enjoy strolling through the surf.  Worked a charm!

VERY interesting... clever!

But... is the bowl facing up or down?  DH and I are disagreeing on which direction seems to make more sense! 😄

[This *must* be one of the more interesting/comical discussions we've had in a long time!]

Thanks!

GC

35 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

Can you provide a link because I'm unable to find it with a search of Amazon.

Never mind. Found it with a general internet search. It's just not available..

https://www.amazon.com/Stepwise-Cane-Adjustable-Lightweight-Mobility/dp/B0BTWNGRLG

Thanks Guindalf!  I just couldn't find it at all online.

But your link allowed me to find the manufacturer, and it seems to be available (or, at least, is not stated as "unavailable"):

https://stepwisecane.com/stepwise-cane-product-specifications/

It looks very interesting (plus "odd"; should get lots of comments and looks?).

From the website, interesting back story, but keep in mind I have never seen the product!

"Hi, I’m John, and I am a physical therapist with over 20 years of experience in promoting mobility and independence for individuals recovering from injuries. ...

... Several years ago, I took a break from my work as a physical therapist to donate a kidney to a family member. During my recovery period in the hospital, I had the chance to watch my favorite team compete in the World Series. Interestingly, I was bombarded with commercials for a particular walking cane during the breaks, which, while inspiring, was also frustrating since I knew it was an ineffective option that I had seen in the hands of many of my patients.

While recovering from surgery and contemplating the design of a better walking cane, I drew on my knowledge of balance, stability, and mobility, all of which were essential to the recovery of my patients..."

Interesting.  And I suspect I know which cane he saw in all of those ads, but maybe not?

GC

11 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

VERY interesting... clever!

But... is the bowl facing up or down?  DH and I are disagreeing on which direction seems to make more sense! 😄

[This *must* be one of the more interesting/comical discussions we've had in a long time!]

Thanks!

GC

Well of course you two are disagreeing ... isn't that what us ol' married folks DO???  My bowl was right side up, so as not to sink into the sand at all and unbalance me.  My biggest problem originally was leaving the durn cane places when I travelled.  Seemed like I was replacing them far too often.  

Since that is unavailable, I can recommend this cane: https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Lightweight-Portable-Mobility-Collapsible/dp/B0B1WM87GN/?th=1

This version is foldable.  The handle is excellent for anyone who needs to lean hard on it without killing your hand.  The large foot is a bit shock absorbing, and has an "ankle" so it stays stable as you move.  

If you have a cane you like, you can get this type of tip by itself.  I haven't tried mine yet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BG8J54QH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

On 8/29/2023 at 3:12 PM, Valen9 said:

Since that is unavailable, I can recommend this cane: https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Lightweight-Portable-Mobility-Collapsible/dp/B0B1WM87GN/?th=1

This version is foldable.  The handle is excellent for anyone who needs to lean hard on it without killing your hand.  The large foot is a bit shock absorbing, and has an "ankle" so it stays stable as you move.  

If you have a cane you like, you can get this type of tip by itself.  I haven't tried mine yet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BG8J54QH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The "all terrain cane" IS still available directly from the company, for $39 (probably plus tax, S&H?).  I didn't order one, but the online process let me get to just before I would have needed to enter payment info.

Just because something isn't available through Amazon or some other "market place" vendor, doesn't mean the company/manufacturer doesn't have them available.

Needless to say, they *could* sell out as well...  but they'd probably have them available again before Amazon would.

If (when? 😞 ) I need to use a cane, I'll probably give this one a try.  It seems better suited to a variety of "surfaces", with some sort of self-adjusting "grip".  I had never heard about this until reading about it here.

GC