Soller, Majorca vintage train excursion

sandancer

• sandancer changed the title to Soller, Majorca vintage train excursion

long time since  we were in Soller, but  I dont think the train and tram will have changed as they are both historic preserved features. and from your post I m not sure if you trip includes both or one of them.  In either case the carriages/cars are historic and  require climbing up steps to get in to.  there may be some adaptations on the platforms for the train. for the tram probably not. the town of Soller is delightful with narrow rough cobbled streets and squares. Puerto Soller where the tram goes to is a pretty seaside harbour which is flat around the harbour where the tram comes in.

If you track down the relevant episode of Michael Portillo's 'great continental railway journeys' (BBC I Player) you can see both the train and tram and where they go as he travelled the whole thing from Las Palmas to Puerto Soller.  I guess maybe some clips on YouTube also as the train is much loved by historic rail enthusiasts. I hope it  works out for you as the whole area is very scenic. 

On 8/27/2023 at 12:28 PM, sandancer said:

We have booked this ships tour but are now having doubts about the accessibility of it. Can anyone confirm the amount of walking and climbing steps involved. Thanks

Hi, I was in Soller some years ago. Be sure train hasn't changed too much in last one hundred years.

Station is about 2 km away from the Harbour, take a taxi (it is the same station for Soller trains and for inner island trains).

You will be able to buy a joint ticket (return ticket for train AND tramway). First journey will be up to Soller. You will get off and will get on a tramway to Puerto de Soller.

You can choose either eating/walking/... in Puerto de Soller or just return to Soller and walk around there.

You will find schedules ready updated in their webpage

On 8/28/2023 at 1:26 PM, alserrod said:

take a taxi

I know Soller well - my brother in law and nephew originate from there. Family members were on holiday there earlier in the year and reported that getting a taxi was difficult. Many drivers are concentrating on the more profitable airport trips and are not bothering sitting on the cab ranks for the short trips between Soller and Port de Soller. 

8 hours ago, Harters said:

I know Soller well - my brother in law and nephew originate from there. Family members were on holiday there earlier in the year and reported that getting a taxi was difficult. Many drivers are concentrating on the more profitable airport trips and are not bothering sitting on the cab ranks for the short trips between Soller and Port de Soller. 

Hi, between Soller and Port de Soller you can use the tram, it is incluided in the ticket.

You can maybe need a taxi between Palma port and Palma station. Just in case it is impossible to get a taxi, there's public transport. I have used public transport in cities where I didn't know anything before without problems.

It is easier to get a taxi but.... it is possible to reach by bus too.