NCL Prima Unlimited Premium WIFI

McGarrett5oh

I've tried to filter the various threads but have not found clear or RECENT answers to our questions:

1)  Does the Prima have Starlink WIFI now?

2)  Knowing it's still going to be slower than home, what has the recent experience been with anyone who bought the UNLIMITED Premium Wifi on the Prima for reasonable streaming, uploading small files & photos, etc?

3) Understanding that coverage can be spotty on Iceland and Norway itineraries (fjords, northern hemisphere, etc), what has been your experience with Starlink streaming WIFI on any cruise ship or line on itineraries that are primarily in Norway & Iceland?

Thanks in advance!  😀

1. No

2. No. 

It is standard satellite wifi. You're still sharing a single satellite link (as you noted with a very low look angle to the satellite) shared by 3000 of your new shipmates as well as ship's operations. 

If the Prima had Starlink, it is unclear what the over-ocean coverage up there. There coverage map shows some gaps. 

image.png.e5d73b7ec0d006dfd0eb1c381701b77c.png

I think it may depend upon your location. I cruised the Prima in April and had Premium Unlimited Wi-Fi. I had absolutely no trouble streaming live TV from the US every night and making video calls via WhatsApp, however my cruise was from New York to Bermuda.

• Like 1

Just my experience from our last Prima cruise with the normal WiFi package to Iceland. During sea days during the day hours the internet was really slow nearly unusable, but sometimes I checked in the middle of the night when most folks were asleep and the wifi was actually quite decent around “off hours”.

But there was definitely no starlink in May 2023 when we cruised the Prima. 

• Thanks 1

One suggestion is to download things overnight when the system is under less stress. I do this at home when preloading up my tablet with a bunch of movies on Netflix and prime before I travel. You learn to deal with slow internet when you live in the country.

• Thanks 1