Caviar on Expediiton ships?

SeaBunny

1 hour ago, SeaBunny said:

Just read a review that stated there was no caviar on Seabourn's Expedition ships. Is this true?

It was a highly negative review so I wondered at the accuracy. 

Just came back from Venture and there was one day where caviar and champagne were offered in the afternoon if I am not mistaken. But in all honesty I don't think anyone going to an expedition ship cares about caviar, tuxedos, massages and the likes of them. Guests want zodiac landings, hiking, kayak, wild life etc

So whoever wrote that review is quite frankly on the wrong ship.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Khareef said:

Just came back from Venture and there was one day where caviar and champagne were offered in the afternoon if I am not mistaken. But in all honesty I don't think anyone going to an expedition ship cares about caviar, tuxedos, massages and the likes of them. Guests want zodiac landings, hiking, kayak, wild life etc

So whoever wrote that review is quite frankly on the wrong ship.

HA! I suspected as much. That poster complained about everything. I just learned about the caviar last week and was looking forward to having some. Our TA cruise won't be typical expedition--the zodiacs are eye candy only. But that's okay with me. 

Thanks for the response.

2 minutes ago, SeaBunny said:

HA! I suspected as much. That poster complained about everything. I just learned about the caviar last week and was looking forward to having some. Our TA cruise won't be typical expedition--the zodiacs are eye candy only. But that's okay with me. 

Thanks for the response.

what ship/itinerary?

I'd say the Venture is one of the most stunning looking ship of any commercial fleet and the service on board is really excellent. Food is decent in the restaurant but not spectacular (gets very sameish very soon), Sushi and the Colonnade seemed the smart choices most of the time. There are two bars with live music on Deck 9 that not many guests seem to take advantage of,  cocktails are pretty good 

The expedition team was excellent with one notable exception but you will always bump into someone that you just can't stand, same for the passengers for most part nice and funny guests.

🙂

18 hours ago, SeaBunny said:

Just read a review that stated there was no caviar on Seabourn's Expedition ships. Is this true?

We were on the Venture in July for two weeks and had caviar delivered to our room almost every afternoon. It most certainly IS available.

18 hours ago, SeaBunny said:

It was a highly negative review so I wondered at the accuracy. 

Btw can you post the review? I am curious to read it

And, Khareef, you have provided more information about the Seabourn experience than I've found elsewhere on this board. I appreciate that a lot. One is always a bit anxious about trying a new line.

Several reviews I read talked about how lively and involved the expedition team members were. If they are on board for our Pursuit's TA next month, they could be a real plus even though there are no expedition activities--just bringing energy to the room.

1 hour ago, SeaBunny said:

And, Khareef, you have provided more information about the Seabourn experience than I've found elsewhere on this board. I appreciate that a lot. One is always a bit anxious about trying a new line.

Several reviews I read talked about how lively and involved the expedition team members were. If they are on board for our Pursuit's TA next month, they could be a real plus even though there are no expedition activities--just bringing energy to the room.

Yeah Expedition team members are mostly real nice and helpful and very professional when it comes to safety and I gotta say very patience with some of the guests who tend to forget they are not in their 20es anymore....Actually some are to be redeployed on the Pursuit which is good since they know very well how these new ships work! There is also a photographer who will share his pictures if you so desire and a videographer who will make a final video of the expedition. Everyday there is an expedition briefing before dinner time and if you don't feel like going down you can simply watch it live on your tv.

Day 2 can feel a bit overwhelming with all the new infos about how to do things and safety measures but in reality it is not.

Many passengers told me it would impossible to go back to the other ships of the fleet (but they all did miss Thomas Keller :-))

So nothing to worry about, you are in for a treat. Just go there with the right mindset. If you want formal nights, caviar and fancy small talk with the captain you are on the wrong ship.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SeaBunny said:

I'd say I agree about the food in the main Restaurant, it is decent but nothing to write home about. I found the sushi and the colonnade way better. But the restaurant is a nice social venue to share a table with your fellow guests. You also have to consider that when the ship goes on a long expedition in a remote location there are no places where new supplies can be delivered. Of course if you are in the med things are a lot easier and you can get fancy new supplies everywhere.

Edited by Khareef

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

I agree. But I’m guessing there won’t be any caviar on the beach with the piranhas and crocodiles.

They actually like to surprise guests with a few unexpected things on shore and on the zodiac..no spoilers though...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had caviar and champagne on the Venture, Christmas morning, on the fantail, with Santa Claus AND it was snowing.  I don't even like caviar, but ate it that particular morning with some very cold bubbly and it was wonderful wonderful wonderful.  What a morning!  Also, we saw people ordering caviar in the dining room all the time.

• Like 1

We had caviar on the Venture on many occasions, including several nights in the restaurant when we swapped caviar for the appetisers on the menu.

We thought for the main part that the food in the restaurant was excellent, although we also loved sushi in the club.  There was a large group of us who fancied a sushi lunch one day and they were very happy to serve us a fabulous array of sushi in the Restaurant.  We found the crew to be incredible flexible, so if there is something particular or special that you want then just ask. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 10:14 AM, Soapbox1964 said:

We had caviar on the Venture on many occasions, including several nights in the restaurant when we swapped caviar for the appetisers on the menu.

We thought for the main part that the food in the restaurant was excellent, although we also loved sushi in the club.  There was a large group of us who fancied a sushi lunch one day and they were very happy to serve us a fabulous array of sushi in the Restaurant.  We found the crew to be incredible flexible, so if there is something particular or special that you want then just ask. 

Funny because in the Sushi Club I saw a family eating burger and fries 🙂 

On 8/29/2023 at 12:03 PM, SeaBunny said:

Since your cruise is not an expedition cruise, I don't believe the expedition staff will be aboard for the TA. Perhaps a few of them for lectures?