Oh How I Wish Virgin Would Sail From the US West Coast!

CruiseLoverFromNorCal

8 hours ago, rebeccac said:

From a google search:

To be classified as a U.S.-flagged ship, and therefore be able to travel between any U.S. ports, there is certain criterion: The cruise ship must have been built, or born, in a U.S. shipyard. The cruise ship must be staffed by U.S. crewmembers and paid based on U.S. minimum wage laws.

Let me correct this quote, which is frequently made, and misunderstood.  To be "classified as a US flagged ship", the ship can be built anywhere in the world, but it must be US owned, and US crewed.  What that quote meant to say is that to be "classified as a PVSA compliant ship", it must be US built, US owned, and US crewed.  There is a difference.  Any US flag ship can carry passengers or cargo from US ports to foreign ports, or vice versa, but only PVSA compliant US flag ships can carry passengers from one US port to another.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

Other than Alaska, I would have zero interest in any west coast cruise.

I’m going to guess you are NOT located on the west coast?  Some of us don’t appreciate having to start every cruise with a long plane ride…and living in Seattle I love Alaska cruises mostly because I can drive to the port.  (just like the folks from Florida do for most Carribean cruises).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I’m going to guess you are NOT located on the west coast?  Some of us don’t appreciate having to start every cruise with a long plane ride…and living in Seattle I love Alaska cruises mostly because I can drive to the port.  (just like the folks from Florida do for most Carribean cruises).

Agreed! I'm in Vancouver, Canada and on Virgin December 2nd. My flight over and hotel for 2 nights cost as much as the cruise...

From where I live, I can walk to the ship if sailing from Vancouver or have a lovely, relaxing train journey if sailing from Seattle. I sail 3 or 4 times a year from West Coast!

• Like 5

On 10/4/2023 at 7:51 AM, Tyler414 said:

Other than Alaska, I would have zero interest in any west coast cruise.

Well there are way more of us that would like to see sailings from the West coast due to the high cost of getting to the East coast. Thank you for your thoughts though.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Wildcatllamas said:

Well there are way more of us that would like to see sailings from the West coast due to the high cost of getting to the East coast. Thank you for your thoughts though.

I agree. I live in LA and would definitely book an RT overnight (or 2) LA to Cabo or RT LA to Hawaii on a Virgin ship!  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I agree. I live in LA and would definitely book an RT overnight (or 2) LA to Cabo or RT LA to Hawaii on a Virgin ship!  

As much as I love to go to Hawaii I would be all over a trip to Hawaii. And to meet the foreign port they could stop at Cabo rather then Ensenada (ugh). 

• Like 1