First Ocean Cruise - Mini review

Murt22

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Murt22 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Just returned from the Seward to Vancouver cruise with pre-tour of Anchorage and Denali. This was our first ocean cruise of any kind, so can not compare to previous Viking or other cruises. We are not foodies, social butterflies or picky people. 

Pre-Cruise tour - we had a snafu at the beginning with the hotel, but was happy with the Anchorage Marriott (do not book the Hilton). Tour director, John was great. You most likely could do the tour on your own for much cheaper, but the group activities were nice to socialize and meet others. We most likely would not have interacted with many on the ship on our own - but had familiar faces to see was good. Hotels on the tour were good. Got to the ship around 4pm and embarkation was easy - no immunization cards asked for. 

Food - not blown away by anything. Did the Chef's Table and Manfredi's once, cancelled our other reservations. We ate dinner in the Restaurant several times and had iffy service a couple of times, but we found a good waiter and went to his station after that. We were able to eat lunch several times at the WC and eat on the Aquavit terrace - weather was great the whole cruise. We did room service, Mamsen's, and WC for breakfast - all fine. Just remember that hashbrowns are really a couple of flattened tater tots.We missed lunch several days due to excursions, or eating too much at breakfast.

Drink - we got the SS package which was good for us. I drank my share of the Jaquardt Brut and even got the waiter to get me some in the Restaurant when they wanted to serve me something else. i did try the included wine a couple of times - and they were not to my taste (not the quality - the type). In room, hubby got as much Carlsberg beer as would fit in the fridge. i sometimes would drink the vodka, but had trouble sometimes getting room service to deliver the juice for mixing.

Entertainment, lectures, etc. - we went on excursions at each stop and ate early dinners, went to bed early so we did not do anything, so can not comment.

Afternoon tea - did it once, not my husband's "cup of tea' so to speak.

We were on 8th floor  and used the Explorer's Lounge back door many times - loved that! 

Dress code - not enforced as far as I could tell - many with jeans at dinner, some with hooded sweatshirts, pullovers, t-shirts even in the Restaurant. Even had that one with a robe in the Explorer's lounge! (this woman was a single traveler who I had to listen to while she described her myriad of allergies to another poor traveller for 30 minutes - only to hear the traveler tell her that she was a physician....)

Appreciated the no kid policy when we were in port with the Disney ship in Ketchikan- could literally hear the kids screaming and crying as we left them in port.

Weather was unbelievably awesome - no rain during the cruise, warm, blue-bird skies several days - definitely didn't need all the rain gear, heavy fleece, etc. We brought many coats that we didn't need, but better safe than sorry.

Disembarkation in Vancouver - people hang around the gangway - and we were self-disembarking, so we were one of the first off the ship and zipped through immigration and in the cab to the airport.

Overall - great cruise, learned some things for next time.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your review as a first time cruiser.  I think your Alaska itinerary might have something to do with the sloppy dress by some. On our cruise int eh Baltic this summer,  no-one was wearing sweatshirts or jeans in the restaurant. The lady in the bathrobe in Explorer Lounge. story is priceless..  there  always  seems  to be an eccentric passenger on most cruises. 

Brings back memories of my first cruise. After it I was hooked on cruising as the perfect vacation.  

The one that I didn't care for was too sweet - someone said it was a Reisling. They brought me a chardonnay which was ok. For dinner, I ordered a sauvignon blanc from the menu that they didn't have so they brought me a different one, which was fine. I am not a wine snob - just like a drier white. 

• Like 5

Forgot a few things - the internet WAS TERRIBLE!!! Live TV was worthless, off and on. If you don't do an excursion in Valdez - it is a pretty small town especially on Sunday - one museum closed and very few shops to look at. Haines excursions may include a 45 min each way ferry ride to Skagway - but you do GET to Skagway - we had a bus breakdown and only had about 45 minutes in town. Impossible to do the train, which is a shame as the bus tour was not a good substitute. Sea days were nice - no getting up early and running all day. I think it was the sail away at Icy Point that we had the most beautiful scenery everywhere around us - we sat on the Aquavit for late lunch. We never saw a coastal brown bear, but did see a black bear with her 3 cubs fishing for salmon, many whales, sea otters, superpod of orcas, juvenile eagle sitting in the stream and bald eagle sitting in tree over our head (along with many other eagles), harbor seal, sea lions and puffins - pretty much the Alaska bingo card. 

2023 08 22_7717edsm.jpg

2023 08 24_8594edsm.jpg

2023 08 24_8729edsm.jpg

2023 08 26_8867edsm.jpg

2023 08 26_8834edsm.jpg

2023 08 19_8143edsm.jpg

2023 08 21_7994edsm.jpg

• Like 13

1. Whale watch from Icy Strait (also a bear search which was unsuccessful)

2,3. Private whale watch with Harv and Marv from Juneau

4,5. Bear search from Ketchikan (this tour had totem pole carver, raptor display, sawmill, nature walk)

6. Kenai Fjords cruise - also saw humpback breach, orcas and puffins

7. Only one from the ship - on the way into Hubbard Glacier.

I have a Canon 90D and used a 400 zoom - plus cropping in edit

• Like 3