Tampa to Miami

SSAtlantic

We will be flying into Tampa to spend a few days with family prior to a cruise out of Miami. We plan to leave early the day of the cruise to drive to Miami and return our rental and taxi to the ship. If we leave by 6am, should we be ok time wise? It will be a Monday. 

Thanks 

Depending on route and traffic, you should be OK if you’re comfortable with a 12-1pm arrival.

Going via the Florida Turnpike, you will catch the start of Tampa rush hour if you are starting from north or south of Tampa, a bit of St.Pere’s, plus some of Orlando’s. Once you actually get to the turnpike, it should be pretty smooth.

If you go via 75, you will cross the Evetglades. Expect traffic until you get to 75. Once on 75, you should make good time.Be sure to have a full tank and whatever you want to eat or drink.

A very long time ago, when the Alley was just a two lane road, I had the wildest tide of my life. I was in a Jeep Cherokee. I had a CB radio. I ended up between two semis. They wanted to make time and told me to hang on, put my car in neutral, and have my foot ready to brake. They put me in a ‘cradle” between the two trucks and I drafted @ 95 mph sll the way across the state, using almost no gas.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I live in Tampa and always drive down the day before I sail out of Port Everglades or Miami. Way to stressful the day of as all you need is one accident to shut down 75 or the alley for a while and you're in trouble. Plan on it taking you around 5 hours to drive to Miami....4 to Port Everglades.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bajathree said:

I live in Tampa and always drive down the day before I sail out of Port Everglades or Miami. Way to stressful the day of as all you need is one accident to shut down 75 or the alley for a while and you're in trouble. Plan on it taking you around 5 hours to drive to Miami....4 to Port Everglades.

Fully agree. 

I would definitely leave from Tampa a day before embarkation and stay overnight near the port. Hotels in the Miami Blue Lagoon area is a great spot for an overnight stay. On embarkation day wake up ready and refreshed for your cruise vacation. Have breakfast, drop off your rental vehicle and either shuttle, Uber or Lyft over to the Port Of Miami.

We live in Punta Gorda which is north (about 20 miles ) of Ft. Myers.

We always drive to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale the morning of.  We leave around 7:30 am.    Tales us 3 or 3 1/2 hours at the most to get to Ft. L. or Miami.  

Most of the traffic we hit is in Miami.

• Thanks 1