Breakaway New Orleans

nowake

Can anyone tell me what time they disembarked on the Breakaway out of New Orleans..We are sailing g Feb. 25/Mar 3_and would love to take a 10:30AM flight home... Would we be cutting g it to close? Thanks to anyone who can help 

Port of New Orleans for NCL can be a mess, especially with traffic snarls given how the cars are funneled through the area. Little bit of rain can make this much worse, or a big convention in the area, or no reason at all 

I have watched real-time as my Uber tried to enter the port area, went wrong direction, u-turns, traveling 1mph, couldn’t imagine doing that with a tight departing flight.

Then the airport at NO, I thought, was deceptively large. Lines for tsa can be very long even for pre.

It’s your bbq, but imo there’s too many things that could/probably will go wrong. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, nowake said:

Thanks so much!!! We are looking forward to NO as we have always said out of FLor CA...ANY favorites you would like to share?

We were on Breakaway last March. When we left the terminal, we found a very long frieght train parked on the tracks blocking all egress.  We waited maybe 20 minutes for the train to clear.  A year ago in March we didn't encounter a train.  

You can go up to the second level and take the overhead bridge to the parking lots.  This bridge is opposite the Norwegian terminal and leads to the whale parking lot.

8 minutes ago, nowake said:

Thanks so much!!! We are looking forward to NO as we have always said out of FLor CA...ANY favorites you would like to share?

So first of All Embarkation us usually a mess. Terminal is a bit small for the Breakaway and can be backed up with guests waiting to get through security while they are still finishing debark. Make sure you enjoy the sailaway going down the Mississippi River, scenic and intersting comparing to leaving out of florida. 

We've sailed out of NO twice on the Breakaway and did the self-debark.  We were off the ship before 8 am both time.  1st time we spent an extra day in NO, but the 2nd we flew home that day.  We had an 11:00 am flight and got to the airport well in advance.

If you're coming in early I would suggest staying in the Warehouse district.  Close to the port and to the French Quarter.  We've stayed at the Marriott Convention Center and Courtyard by Marriott.  Both are practically across the street from the port.  We walked all over the French Quarter and took the trolley to the Art District.  

1 hour ago, nowake said:

Embarkation can be a royal pain.  The port funnels everyone through the security line before they check in.  The waiting area for those who have cleared security and checkin is very small and fills quickly.  Once that area is full, they stop the security line  until the ship reaches zero statu (all passengers have debarked) and boarding starts.  This may  not happen until almost 1100.  We arrived at the port at 0930 and stood in line until almost 1030.  That line can be several hundred feet long with no place to sit.  We didn't board until after 1100. BTW, every one, regardless of priority is in the same line.  Only exception is those in wheel chairs.

That was in 2022.  In 2023, we arrived at about 1030 and were on board at about the same time as 2022.  The line was moving when we got there.

IOW, unless  you arrive very early before the seats are full, you can expect to spend maybe an hour + standing in lines.

1 hour ago, nowake said:

Can anyone tell me what time they disembarked on the Breakaway out of New Orleans..We are sailing g Feb. 25/Mar 3_and would love to take a 10:30AM flight home... Would we be cutting g it to close? Thanks to anyone who can help 

Close, yes but doable.

You would need to get in line early on the ship, the line snakes through almost everywhere and finally through the Manhattan room. Maybe different if you are in the Haven. 

Drive time to the airport is around 45 minutes from the port.

Pickup point outside the immediate port area, Julia Street can turn into a parking lot real fast. 

Have had better results with a private car service than a taxi, never tried Uber.

Never had a train but that's possible

Should check the port schedule to make sure only two ships are in port that day

Having sailed out of New Orleans a number of times, for me 10:30 is too early.  10:30 departure would mean 9:30 at the latest for check-in.  How much time needed to go through TSA is anyone's guess.

March 3rd should be right in the middle of the NCAA Men's or Women's Basketball tournament.  Traffic in the downtown core area (Superdome) will be a nightmare.

Flying to the Pacific Northwest, I never book a flight before 2:30 P.M.

If you have not sailed out of New Orleans before, make sure you are outside on the Mississippi River side.  The ship will be docked heading upriver, as She clears the ship docked in front of Her, She will make a u-turn in The River and head downtown River.  Will take between 7 and 8 hours to reach the Gulf of Mexico.