Covid testing requirements to board at San Pedro

bobolz

I just received my boarding pass from Oceania and I assume it is just a standard format for any embarkation/ destination port, but it mentions you need to bring a Covid negative test result. In one section of the document it says “if applicable”, another section simply references must be presented with other required documents  , I assume it is not needed to board in CA nor to visit Mexico since that would be the only stop outside of the US. Anyone recently traveled out of San Pedro with a similar itinerary that would be able to confirm a negative test is no longer needed? 

tia

Edited by bobolz

1 hour ago, bobolz said:

but it mentions you need to bring a Covid negative test result. In one section of the document it says “if applicable”, another section simply references must be presented with other required documents, I assume it is not needed to board in CA nor to visit Mexico since....

Not as of today, but that can always change.

6 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I know that the Carnival Luminoso leaving Seattle 9/14 for a 30 day sailing to Australia is requiring a negative covid test result for those passengers.

Were those passengers notified of testing requirements before hand? I checked Australias Covid testing requirements and I didn’t initially see any requirements to be tested. 

I checked the LA  port site and I don’t see any requirement currently nor LA county. I don’t see anything on Oceania site other than “if required “ . Hoping someone leaving San Pedro with one stop.in Mexico and coast of California stops can comment on recent requirements. 

Thanks again 

3 hours ago, bobolz said:

Were those passengers notified of testing requirements before hand? I checked Australias Covid testing requirements and I didn’t initially see any requirements to be tested. 

I work at Pier 91 and we were told that those Luminosa passengers (30 day trans-pacific cruise) were informed about presenting a negative test result (basically a photo of the results of a take-at-home Covid test with the passenger name, date, etc), as well as having the various needed/required Visa for this particular cruise.  

Your Oceania cruise may have different requirements.  I can say that we in Seattle are seeing more folks coming off the ships with Covid (passengers are taken off the ship either very early, or very late to minimized exposure with pier-side staff, as well as the other passengers milling about in the luggage hall).  I am also seeing more passengers and fellow pier-side co-workers wearing masks at the terminal.

10 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I know that the Carnival Luminoso leaving Seattle 9/14 for a 30 day sailing to Australia is requiring a negative covid test result for those passengers.

That's very interesting. I found an article from 3 days ago where a senior Carnival official, discussing the recent increase in COVID cases, is quoted as saying: "Testing is not required for either vaccinated or unvaccinated guests," he added. "However, we encourage all guests five years and older to take a pre-cruise covid-19 test within three days of their cruise."

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-makes-big-statement-on-return-of-covid-rules

Perhaps the fact that it is a 30 day sailing has something to do with the requirement for testing? I'm following this closely as we board the Discovery Princess in a few weeks at SP, and finding a testing center around here is very difficult.

Even at the end of mandatory testing last season (Sept 2022), the cruise lines dropped the requirement for results from an outside/professional testing site, and allowed passengers to use at home tests.  All that was required for check-in (back then) was a photo show on a cell phone of a negative, along with the passenger's name and date.  Was it the honor system?  Yes it was, but it did work until the cruise lines dropped the requirement altogether.

31 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Perhaps the fact that it is a 30 day sailing has something to do with the requirement for testing? I'm following this closely as we board the Discovery Princess in a few weeks at SP, and finding a testing center around here is very difficult.

13 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Even at the end of mandatory testing last season (Sept 2022), the cruise lines dropped the requirement for results from an outside/professional testing site, and allowed passengers to use at home tests.  All that was required for check-in (back then) was a photo show on a cell phone of a negative, along with the passenger's name and date.  Was it the honor system?  Yes it was, but it did work until the cruise lines dropped the requirement altogether.

Hopefully, if the requirement even does return to prove testing for shorter cruises like ours, the requirement would be as simple as taking a photo of the test indicator. That we can live with ;o)

13 hours ago, bobolz said:

I checked the LA  port site and I don’t see any requirement currently nor LA county. I don’t see anything on Oceania site other than “if required “ . Hoping someone leaving San Pedro with one stop.in Mexico and coast of California stops can comment on recent requirements.

There no current requirements and have not been for months, but that can change in an instant if cases continue to go up. If your cruise is next week, I'd say you are okay, anything further in the future, there are no guarantees.