Sonesta Mayo Beach - far walk to watch the planes?

canadarocks

I'm considering day passes for the Sonesta Mayo Beach resort next year. Can anyone who's been there let me know how big a property it is? DH is mobility challenged so we prefer smaller resorts. Is it a far walk from the pool area to the beach to watch the planes come in? Is the resort actually close enough to get good views of the planes? 

2 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Can anyone who's been there let me know how big a property it is?

Its not huge by Caribbean resort standards. Its not boutique either-- somewhere in between. 

2 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Is it a far walk from the pool area to the beach to watch the planes come in? Is the resort actually close enough to get good views of the planes? 

No, its not a far walk but it is very uneven especially once you are on the beach itself which (depending on erosion) can be a steep drop off to the water. Sometimes its a little more even and full without the dropoff. 

The resort has their own little section of beach tucked away and then you can continue walking to the part that is directly under the landing approach for the airport. There are two independent little bars on either side which will sometimes put the flight schedule on a chalkboard. 

You will be able to see the planes from the hotel itself-- they just wont be on top of you like they are when you are in the middle of the beach. 

23 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Thanks so much for the info! Have you been to this resort by any chance? Is so, did you like it?

I have. Its nice enough-- we did something similar to what you are talking about and went for lunch after watching the planes from the beach. Didn't buy a day pass though-- just went to try and have lunch. What I didn't realize was that its an all inclusive resort so they looked at us like we had three heads when I said we weren't staying there. 

I don't think I would fly to St Martin and stay there but it was nice enough for an afternoon from what we saw. 

On 9/7/2023 at 4:55 PM, canadarocks said:

Thanks so much for the info! Have you been to this resort by any chance? Is so, did you like it?

We have a timeshare right next to Sonesta Maho.  It’s a beautiful place, the food wafting over smells good!  Many years ago we used to be able to use their facilities and then they were sold.  The walk over to Maho Beach - you can either just walk the beach (sometimes beach is under water) or the sidewalk.  At Maho Beach the road is very narrow and you have to walk on the beach which isn’t the easiest.  You will have a great view of planes from Sonesta.  The beaches in SXM are ever changing.  One day you can have a beautiful, big calm beach and the next day the beach is gone and rocks are there.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 4:55 PM, canadarocks said:

We have done the day pass, and felt it was a great value.  We would be doing again in November, but our ship leaves at 3pm, so not enough time to enjoy the property.

we spent the day in the pool, at the swim up bar, all included, and then had lunch at the ocean front restaurant.   For us it was the best option, as we were there on Good Friday, and pretty much everything on the island was closed.

Edited by lnuzzo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

😞 Sonesta Maho Resort currently under renovations and may not be offering Day Pass until after December, but there is still the public beach area directly in front of the airport and some bar/grill at the beach that you can enjoy the beach and unique experience of seeing the airlines take off and land.