Platinum & Elite cocktail hour question

Boiler Cruiser

6 hours ago, Oxo said:

My personal opinion when I compare this function to other Cruise Lines.

Charging $8 per drink from a selected list? Not a perk or benefit at all.

JMHO!

We always purchase the Plus or Premier package but still really enjoy the PES lounge.  The nibbles are so good on most nights.  
I get that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean offer free drinks but during this event but just cruised on Celebrity and there were no more appetizers being passed around.  I can’t speak to RCCL as we haven’t cruised with them in about 10 years.  It was really great in the past, though.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

We always purchase the Plus or Premier package but still really enjoy the PES lounge.  The nibbles are so good on most nights.  
I get that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean offer free drinks but during this event but just cruised on Celebrity and there were no more appetizers being passed around.  I can’t speak to RCCL as we haven’t cruised with them in about 10 years.  It was really great in the past, though.  

RCCL now puts x number of drinks on your cruise card based on your status. 

Diamond + gets 5. You may use these at any bar anytime during the day. If you don't use them in the 24 hour period, you loose them.

Just got off of the Apex in July. We had the beverage package and thus didn't use the Happy Hour.

As for the nibbles, too close to dinner to really take any. 

14 hours ago, Oxo said:

RCCL now puts x number of drinks on your cruise card based on your status. 

Diamond + gets 5. You may use these at any bar anytime during the day. If you don't use them in the 24 hour period, you loose them.

Just got off of the Apex in July. We had the beverage package and thus didn't use the Happy Hour.

As for the nibbles, too close to dinner to really take any. 

Wow, that’s really great!  
We’ve kind of stopped going to dinner as we just eat the snacks served up in one of the lounges.  

• Like 1

I consider the RCI benefit a big plus for those who don't buy the beverage package and only drink a minimal amount each day. So, each cruise line has their pluses and minuses. RCI tried to charge for the pizza and sent out a survey and the public decided against the pizza charge. Thus, RCI backed off.

I provide this as info only to others. 

Happy cruising!

On 9/20/2023 at 4:39 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Or even if you don’t have the drinks’ package?…..sorry to say ther’s not much to get excited about. Mediocre snacks and small saving on selected cocktails. 

But each to their own!

On 9/20/2023 at 7:20 AM, Reina del Mar said:

As I said, each to their own, I wouldn’t give thank you for sushi!!!

Going there only delays us from going to the DR and makes us late for the first show. Besides that, we can order most of the same items in the DR. 😄

I really believe it's more of a social thing so you can relax & have a drink with friends. 

• Like 1

Personally, I've found it's not very compelling. The snacks aren't great, the drink discounts were for small cocktails that I didn't care for, and it felt sort of sad and awkward, a few couples sitting far apart, with some poor ships officers walking around making small talk with them. If you're Elite, you can get better treats with room service afternoon tea, and not so close to dinner, and the international cafe and bars around there also a better experience for watching people or the ocean and listening to live music. Even for the Captain's reception, on a recent cruise I went there and saw hundreds lined up, and decided to pass. More people having Plus or Premier also decreases the appeal of free or reduced drinks at those events. I wish they'd do the Captain's reception as HAL used to, with a dining room set up for a limited-menu seaday lunch, where people sat with others at tables and conversed, got free drinks, and a ship's tile after the Captain's speech. 

• Like 1