Ho-Ho or tour

Giantfan13

We will be arriving via cruise ship to Athens and it is our first time here. We usually go out and do things on our own, but the old knee isn't what it used to be and a lot of walking isn't the right way to go.

As it is our first time there, we thought a private tour company might be the way to go (any recommendations?), or just do the HoHo bus and see the town. 

Obviously, we want to see the Acropolis, so does the HoHo drop you within an easy walk of it?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Len

Curious how many people might have done both to give a serious comparison. 

Hop on hop off is easy and less expensive,  but if you want focus, private tour is the way. I suspect you already knew that. But you will always get more detail and closer details in a private tour, unless you are very thorough and detailed in your advanced research. 

Fellow Giants fan...

I did the HOHO bus (a couple times over my stay) and enjoyed it.  That said, you mention a bum knee and you'll still have quite a walk to the Acropolis so take that under consideration  And it's VERY hot depending on when you're going.

Private tours can be awesome, and usually are in smaller vehicles so they get closer to attractions.  But I don't think you can get really close to the Acropolis other than on foot with a long walk.  I saw it, from the bus, the rooftop of a couple hotels and the street. It was way too hot for me to even entertain walking up the hill.

On 9/14/2023 at 2:44 PM, megr1125 said:

Fellow Giants fan...

I did the HOHO bus (a couple times over my stay) and enjoyed it.  That said, you mention a bum knee and you'll still have quite a walk to the Acropolis so take that under consideration  And it's VERY hot depending on when you're going.

Private tours can be awesome, and usually are in smaller vehicles so they get closer to attractions.  But I don't think you can get really close to the Acropolis other than on foot with a long walk.  I saw it, from the bus, the rooftop of a couple hotels and the street. It was way too hot for me to even entertain walking up the hill.

We will be there towards the end of October. I would have to, at least, get pretty near there without climbing all those steps. Is that possible?

I have read many horror stories about people's experiences with the HoHo bus--terribly long lines, long waits, and then no room on the bus to even get on, not enough buses running to prevent this. Maybe going in late October might prevent something like this, but am I willing to take that chance?

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13