Just off the Quantam

loeytalldog

My family and I just got off the Quantam. It was an Alaska itinerary, Ketchikan, icy strait point and Juneau. We were supposed to go to Vancouver but due to a medical emergency they canceled that port.

We all had a good time! I'm not going to do a trip report but if anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer!

1 hour ago, loeytalldog said:

My family and I just got off the Quantam. It was an Alaska itinerary, Ketchikan, icy strait point and Juneau. We were supposed to go to Vancouver but due to a medical emergency they canceled that port.

We all had a good time! I'm not going to do a trip report but if anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer!

Glad to hear!

We board next Monday.

We did Sitka instead of Ketchikan--too bad, I preferred Ketchikan. But not a huge deal.

Vancouver or Victoria?

Sorry you missed a port, but goodness knows ports are missed for lesser reasons.

I am never bothered adjustments due to a medical emergency--could be me or someone I love someday!

We just got our upgrade from interior to balcony & was thrilled it's a great location!

Can't wait!

Did you see the Aurora?

(chance of rain all week; but it was that way last year & we really only had light rain 1 day. Unfortunately cloud cover didn't allow us to see the Aurora)

8 minutes ago, KKB said:

Glad to hear!

We board next Monday.

We did Sitka instead of Ketchikan--too bad, I preferred Ketchikan. But not a huge deal.

Vancouver or Victoria?

Sorry you missed a port, but goodness knows ports are missed for lesser reasons.

I am never bothered adjustments due to a medical emergency--could be me or someone I love someday!

We just got our upgrade from interior to balcony & was thrilled it's a great location!

Can't wait!

Did you see the Aurora?

(chance of rain all week; but it was that way last year & we really only had light rain 1 day. Unfortunately cloud cover didn't allow us to see the Aurora)

Sorry yes Victoria we missed! They just stopped the ship to file paperwork. We did not see the Aurora. It was suppose to rain for us but ended up just drizzling and not a big deal. We wore sweatshirt and raincoat and it was more than enough. You'll love the balcony. We did a grand suite large balcony and ended up sitting out there with blankets, watching the scenery. You can get the blankets in the pool area where the pool towels are. Have a great time!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, KKB said:

Glad to hear!

We board next Monday.

Vancouver or Victoria?

Can't wait!

Did you see the Aurora?

Have a great trip !!! 

mac_tlc

Just now, mac_tlc said:

Have a great trip !!! 

mac_tlc

THX! BFF & I. She is SUPER excited. 

She is a flight attendant so usually doesn't like to travel when she is off, but she likes cruising w/ me!

• Like 1

Could you share your opinion of the hardness of the beds? I've been reading that the Quantum is one of the worst for "rock hard beds".

We're also wondering about your impression of the MDR meals.....a poor experience on the Navigator recently!  Thank you for offering to answer our questions. I hope that you had a great time in Alaska.Rainey

2 hours ago, loeytalldog said:

Sorry yes Victoria we missed! They just stopped the ship to file paperwork. We did not see the Aurora. It was suppose to rain for us but ended up just drizzling and not a big deal. We wore sweatshirt and raincoat and it was more than enough. You'll love the balcony. We did a grand suite large balcony and ended up sitting out there with blankets, watching the scenery. You can get the blankets in the pool area where the pool towels are. Have a great time!

We do feel AK is where a balcony is best used. Spectacular scenery.

I didn't have one in Norway...and I was less stunned by the scenery there. 

Perhaps w/ a balcony I would have felt differently?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, peacefulOR said:

Could you share your opinion of the hardness of the beds? I've been reading that the Quantum is one of the worst for "rock hard beds".

We're also wondering about your impression of the MDR meals.....a poor experience on the Navigator recently!  Thank you for offering to answer our questions. I hope that you had a great time in Alaska.Rainey

Was on 2 weeks ago and my bed was uncomfortably hard. I usually don't complain too much about beds since I'm not sleeping on them for long but it's actually one of the few things I mentioned on my survey. 

FWIW, I happened to enjoy all the dishes I had in the MDR. For the cuisines that didn't really stand out to me, we went to specialty that night. 

8 hours ago, hkaya said:

I saw on the royal caribbean website that the north star is broken, can you confirm? and if so, did the crew onboard tell you when it will get fixed?

North Star is broken & has been for some time. It has been widely shared that it won't be fixed until Quantum goes into dry dock.

On 9/11/2023 at 11:01 AM, peacefulOR said:

We were on a couple weeks ago and yes, the beds are hard.

We always pack one of these for my wife, and I'm very glad we got a 2nd one and happened to take it along for me as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBOFS8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81Iw9O3D-UL._AC_SX522_.jpg.3186f96a3c59d06b64cf1a42f96bf339.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for responses about beds. We are going to take mattress toppers (memory foam) as extra luggage on a 10-day cruise from Honolulu. I don't remember our earlier cruises on RCCL being so uncomfortable, I've heard that there are good beds in the suites so they are aware of their existence.

About the MDR meals. We found the breakfast & lunches very nice and served warm, at least (last cruise, Navigator). The three dinners there were served lukewarm and overcooked. I don't cruise to eat but miss dining as apposed to feeding at the buffet.

On 9/11/2023 at 1:01 PM, peacefulOR said:

We had a suite which says pillow top mattresses which in our opinion weren't pillow top at all. However, we did sleep really well! 

We found all the MDR meals were really tasty/good! The at least 5 lbs I gained will prove it!

1 hour ago, loeytalldog said:

We had a suite which says pillow top mattresses which in our opinion weren't pillow top at all. However, we did sleep really well! 

We found all the MDR meals were really tasty/good! The at least 5 lbs I gained will prove it!

Yes. the suite beds are far superior to anything below so I'm glad that you were comfortable. It sounds like they've changed as well. I'm looking forward to better dinners at the MDR this time and maybe they'll even be warm enough!

We're in an extended balcony this time and will be prepared for the difference. Thanks for sounding in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, peacefulOR said:

Yes. the suite beds are far superior to anything below so I'm glad that you were comfortable. It sounds like they've changed as well. I'm looking forward to better dinners at the MDR this time and maybe they'll even be warm enough!

We're in an extended balcony this time and will be prepared for the difference. Thanks for sounding in.

Our waiter said to us if we didn't like a meal to please let him know and we could choose something else. He even checked on us after serving. One in our party didn't like the strip steak and they took it back and got something else. We did traditional dining and food was always hot. 

15 hours ago, loeytalldog said:

Our waiter said to us if we didn't like a meal to please let him know and we could choose something else. He even checked on us after serving. One in our party didn't like the strip steak and they took it back and got something else. We did traditional dining and food was always hot. 

Hmm, that is the protocol for waiters in the main dining room and my usual experience. This last cruise on Royal there was a "drop and run" going on with the removal of uneaten food not even questioned. We've sailed for 25 years and not always Royal and it was our worst dining experience ever. It was apparent that the servers were either overwhelmed or stretched too far but the entrees were not the quality of previous experiences on Royal. Disappointing.

I'm curious, why weren't you in the Coastal Kitchen instead of the MDR? There's a vast difference in cuisine and service. I think that every passenger has the right to expect their meals to be of a decent quality and, especially, served fresh and warm. I'm pretty easygoing so we just went elsewhere after three lukewarm dinners. I don't project problems on the Quantum and appreciate reading your positive review.

By the way, we selected my time dining with a set time of 6:30. Will definitely do traditional dining on the Quantum.

11 minutes ago, peacefulOR said:

Hmm, that is the protocol for waiters in the main dining room and my usual experience. This last cruise on Royal there was a "drop and run" going on with the removal of uneaten food not even questioned. We've sailed for 25 years and not always Royal and it was our worst dining experience ever. It was apparent that the servers were either overwhelmed or stretched too far but the entrees were not the quality of previous experiences on Royal. Disappointing.

I'm curious, why weren't you in the Coastal Kitchen instead of the MDR? There's a vast difference in cuisine and service. I think that every passenger has the right to expect their meals to be of a decent quality and, especially, served fresh and warm. I'm pretty easygoing so we just went elsewhere after three lukewarm dinners. I don't project problems on the Quantum and appreciate reading your positive review.

By the way, we selected my time dining with a set time of 6:30. Will definitely do traditional dining on the Quantum.

We did the coastal kitchen once and loved it however we were with family who were not in suites so we had to do traditional to eat with them. I will say that yes the waiters did seem a bit  stretched thin and our assistant waiter was non existent. What helped us I think was our waiter had tables that never showed up or only showed up one or two nights.