Long Beach/San Pedro Confusion

HangryGrl

Hoping someone can help clarify which side of the port Carnival docks at?  I had originally thought based on reading some on this board that it would be on the San Pedro side. I was just double checking reservations (currently have one at the Crowne Plaza) and directions and when I googled it comes up with the Carnival terminal being on the other side by the Queen Mary.  If this is the case I might end up moving our hotel reservation to the Long Beach side.  We are on the Carnival Miracle leaving 10/14/23 if that makes any difference.

HangryGrl, 

Los Angeles Harbor (The combined ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach) is a VERY BIG place.  It is the THIRD BUSIEST port in the world, the largest port in the Western Hemisphere.  It is MASSIVE.  It contains wll over 10,000 acres and 68 miles of waterfront. Just the distance across the harbor from the Western edge in San Pedro to the Eastern edge in Long Beach is SIX MILES.  Traveling those six miles means crossing two bridges and the very industrial Terminal Island that straddles the harbor entrance.

That said, it is not entirely unrealistic to stay in San Pedro for a cruise out of Long Beach or to stay in Long Beach for a cruise out of San Pedro.  It just means some extra ground transportation the morning of your cruise.  But, yes, often people might stay in Long Beach for a San Pedro cruise--but most often if they have a little extra time and want to visit some Long Beach attractions like the Queen Mary or the Aquarium of the Pacific...or some might stay in San Pedro for a Long Beach cruise--but most often due to hotel prices or shortage of availability.

BUT, the real question is, lacking any specific purpose, WHY?  Best thing you could do for a short pre-cruise stay (for longer stays, I recommend staying in a completely different part of the city), is to choose a hotel for CONVENIENCE.  So, if cruising out of Long Beach--which means CARNIVAL (other cruise lines all use San Pedro), stay in the Convention Center area of Long Beach--and, if you can, stay in one of these hotels:  Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin, Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown, possibly the Hilton or the Best Western Convention Center (though the first six better and more convenient than the last two.  The Maya and Residence Inn are VERY CLOSE to the Carnival Terminal, the Hyatts, Renaissance and Westin are in the prime tourist area--closest to restaurants and shops.

Good luck...

• Like 3

Thanks!  I appreciate the detailed response!  I ended up cancelling the Crowne Plaza and rebooking the Renaissance by the convention center.  Price was slightly higher but not crazy given we are only about a month out now. Thankfully I booked the original hotel with the refundable rate!  I think I originally got confused as I think this is the first home port I have been to where the cruise lines dock far enough apart that it makes a difference.  Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Now I'm a little confused.  We're on a Princess cruise in April and we booked the Crowne Plaza. 

Two years ago, we walked to the Majestic Princess from the hotel easily.  I see there are 3 ships in port this time - Princess, Carnival and Europa.  Any reason to think the Princess ship may dock further away from the Crowne Plaza than last time and we should change our hotel?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, BridgeMates said:

Now I'm a little confused.  We're on a Princess cruise in April and we booked the Crowne Plaza. 

Two years ago, we walked to the Majestic Princess from the hotel easily.  I see there are 3 ships in port this time - Princess, Carnival and Europa.  Any reason to think the Princess ship may dock further away from the Crowne Plaza than last time and we should change our hotel?

Thank you.

Unless something has changed recently, Carnival sails from Long Beach, not San Pedro, so you should be fine. The San Pedro port schedule still shows only a maximum of two ships there at any one time for all of April 2024, so you will be at either Berth 92 or 93, an easy walk from the CP

https://www.portsamerica.com/operations/cruise-los-angeles-terminal-schedule