Captain's Welcome Party

goldiemom

We are first time SilverSeas cruisers (have been on over 50 other cruises).  We will be on the 15 night Antarctica Silver Cloud departing Port Williams on January 15.  First stop is South Georgia Island on day 4 after 2 days at sea.  Does anyone know when the Captain well have his Welcome Aboard Party?  We are trying to plan reservations for restaurants that need them. TIA

5 hours ago, david63 said:

Even if that is a port day?

"Almost always" leaves some wiggle room if the port schedule makes another day more convenient. That's why I said it that way. 

IME there's more variation in the captain's farewell, than the captain's welcome, but YMMV.

For the OP's itinerary, the first 3 days are sea days, sailing to South Georgia. The welcome will most likely be the second night. If the weather is sketchy they might modify that schedule of course. But it's "almost always" going to be the second night.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, david63 said:

Even if that is a port day?

Our upcoming Caribbean cruise sailing from Bridgetown has a port visit for the next six days before there is a sea day.  There will be the Captain's Welcome well before the only sea day.  And it will probably be on day 2.

Agree with the 2nd day advice. One more thing for you to consider when making dinner reservations. La Terraza is on the top and the end of the ship where you will get much more motion of the ocean. Same with the Grill. I recommend checking your itinerary and not making reservations there when you are crossing to/from South Georgia or on the Drake "shake".

I remember the occasion well nearly 10 years later- still have the glitzy scarf I wore. What was most memorable about it was standing just outside the restaurant chatting with the Captain and several others when a wave hit us and I fell into his arms. He was a lovely man so it was not a bad thing although a bit embarrassing- I would have ended up on the floor if he hadn't been such a strong gentleman!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Absolutely!  Must say that every Captain I have encountered (and only this one in quite such a dramatic fashion!) has been attractive and a gentleman. One might almost think that they were selected for their charm and smile.

Well meet Captain Maggi !!  Silverseas first woman  Captain -  we sailed with her on the Explorer a couple of times. 

Maggi Ettlin the first woman to Captain a Silverseas ship.She hails from Switzerland. 

She is 5'3" and wore stilletos on board,  if she was in flat shoes  -you knew is was going to  get rough  !!!

New Captain for Silver Explorer - Silversea Cruises - Cruise ...

"Experienced Master Mariner / Captain with a demonstrated history of working in the leisure, travel & tourism industry in particular in polar waters and remote areas onboard Expedition Cruise Ships and Ice breaker. Skilled in Helicopter Piloting, GMDSS, Maritime Operations, Maritime Safety, and Hospitality Industry. Helicopter pilot holding an EASA and FAA licence CPL(H)."

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

Well meet Captain Maggi !!  Silverseas first woman  Captain -  we sailed with her on the Explorer a couple of times. 

Maggi Ettlin the first woman to Captain a Silverseas ship.She hails from Switzerland. 

She is 5'3" and wore stilletos on board,  if she was in flat shoes  -you knew is was going to  get rough  !!!

New Captain for Silver Explorer - Silversea Cruises - Cruise ...

"Experienced Master Mariner / Captain with a demonstrated history of working in the leisure, travel & tourism industry in particular in polar waters and remote areas onboard Expedition Cruise Ships and Ice breaker. Skilled in Helicopter Piloting, GMDSS, Maritime Operations, Maritime Safety, and Hospitality Industry. Helicopter pilot holding an EASA and FAA licence CPL(H)."

Thank you @rojaan19 !  Cheers for Captain Maggi!  🥂🥂🥂

I can't wear stilletos on land! But I bet she is still strong enough to keep me from a face plant if the seas got at all rough! And should we be lucky enough to have her on board- we will certainly remember to take note of what shoes she is wearing!

She could have also been selected for her charm and her smile although that doesn't seem to come across the same way when referring to the first woman Captain. (And before anyone thinks about jumping all over me- it was intended as a mild joke- both here and previously when referring to the other Captains. Never know when someone will be hyper sensitive and insulted.)

Edited by 5waldos
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

I can't wear stilletos on land! But I bet she is still strong enough to keep me from a face plant if the seas got at all rough! And should we be lucky enough to have her on board- we will certainly remember to take note of what shoes she is wearing!

She could have also been selected for her charm and her smile although that doesn't seem to come across the same way when referring to the first woman Captain. (And before anyone thinks about jumping all over me- it was intended as a mild joke- both here and previously when referring to the other Captains. Never know when someone will be hyper sensitive and insulted.)

Hard to choose a graphic from the limited menu here, since all three apply:  Like, Haha, and Thanks!