Medallion net wifi for one device and wifi hotspot

TorontoTL

I’m sorry if this has been asked before, but my search could not find confirmation of whether this would work or not.  If I purchase the wifi package for one device (an iphone) can it be used as a wifi hotspot and share the wifi with my partner’s device?  I’m hoping someone who has cruised recently can confirm this for me either way.  Thank you in advance.

Benny

I may be wrong - but i didnt think you could hotspot from a wifi connection - i seem to think it has to be a 4/5g connection that you can hotspot from - just generally. otherwise im pretty certain no one would ever purchase more than 1 wifi package per cabin - i might be wrong though 🙂

• Like 1

I've done it with my own devices but never using my devices as a hotspot for someone else to use with their device(s).  However, with that being said, there is no guarantee it would be a consistent connection or the best way to go.  There is a time to pinch pennies and there's a time not to 🙂

• Like 1

Instead of relying on other people's answers, you can check it out at home. Put your phone in airplane mode and then connect to your home wifi. Try out voice calls, texting, hotspots, and anything else you want to try. If it doesn't work at home with airplane mode and home wifi, then it won't work on the ship. If it works at home, then it will "probably" work on the ship.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

Instead of relying on other people's answers, you can check it out at home. Put your phone in airplane mode and then connect to your home wifi. Try out voice calls, texting, hotspots, and anything else you want to try. If it doesn't work at home with airplane mode and home wifi, then it won't work on the ship. If it works at home, then it will "probably" work on the ship.

Good suggestion but the only issue I see is that home Wi-Fi will have a ton more speed and bandwidth compared to a ship. Guess I am saying there is no reason it wouldn't work with your home test but likely many-many times slower on board.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TorontoTL said:

I’m sorry if this has been asked before, but my search could not find confirmation of whether this would work or not.  If I purchase the wifi package for one device (an iphone) can it be used as a wifi hotspot and share the wifi with my partner’s device?  I’m hoping someone who has cruised recently can confirm this for me either way.  Thank you in advance.

Benny

@TorontoTL  you cannot hotspot an iPhone from a wifi connection.  It will only work using cell service. Texting iphone to iphone using wifi only is no problem.

Edited by t&atravel
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, TorontoTL said:

Thank you all for your answers.  I didn’t think of trying it by turning off cellular on my phone.  You’re right, wifi hotspot didn’t work unless cellular was on.

Another hot spot disadvantage is that you would always need to be together in order for both to use internet services and apps.

• Like 2