Jewellery left onboard

delgirl

11 minutes ago, soulfan said:

We are onboard at the moment, I lost my wedding ring and reported it at the pursers desk, it was found in G2 disco. Did you report the loss at the pursers desk?

She didn't notice until she got home. They did self disembarkation and she left her box on the tv table. She also left her sons new trainers. Thats the trouble of getting of the ship at 7.15am with 2 kids.

@delgirl

I searched “lost property” on Cunard’s FAQs and found this for you:
https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/frequently-asked-questions 

Not sure if you have tried via this route already, but fingers crossed for your daughter. 

Just tried the link myself - it just takes you to the page, but search on “lost property” and you should find the advice that I did. 

Edited by Kynance

2 hours ago, delgirl said:

She didn't notice until she got home. They did self disembarkation and she left her box on the tv table. She also left her sons new trainers. Thats the trouble of getting of the ship at 7.15am with 2 kids.

1 hour ago, Kynance said:

@delgirl

I searched “lost property” on Cunard’s FAQs and found this for you:
https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/frequently-asked-questions 

Not sure if you have tried via this route already, but fingers crossed for your daughter. 

Just tried the link myself - it just takes you to the page, but search on “lost property” and you should find the advice that I did. 

That was the link I tried. Just done it again, with a few more details. Hopefully they will respond and I will try phoning again.

10 hours ago, soulfan said:

I asked at the pursers desk, they were not much help. They said every item of property left on board would have been taken off at Southampton and for you to keep phoning the main office. 

Thank you for asking. I have sent another e-mail and I will keep phoning. Long queues at the moment.

Somebody finally answered the phone. She said it will take quite a few weeks to plough through the lost property. She then said about things they cannot return like hearing aids, teeth and said earrings could come under this. I then lost my temper and said nowhere does it exclude earrings on the list of things they can return it states jewellery, doesn't say excludes earrings. Also told her they were in a box so there would be no reason to touch the earrings even though they would have to pick up the box in the first place. I think the world has gone mad.

3 minutes ago, delgirl said:

Somebody finally answered the phone. She said it will take quite a few weeks to plough through the lost property. She then said about things they cannot return like hearing aids, teeth and said earrings could come under this. I then lost my temper and said nowhere does it exclude earrings on the list of things they can return it states jewellery, doesn't say excludes earrings. Also told her they were in a box so there would be no reason to touch the earrings even though they would have to pick up the box in the first place. I think the world has gone mad.

Earrings???? That's crazy! What, because they've been in someone's earlobe? Even hearing aids, if they're in the case/box should be okay to return. Most people who use hearing aids have them in the ears or in their containers, not lying around loose, so nobody would have to touch them. 

If/when your kids are old enough, make "last day treasure hunt" a game. Have them look in every drawer and closet, under the bed, etc to make sure you haven't left anything. I did the packing when DH was still with me, and I did a drawer/closet check the last morning. Then DH would do a check after me, just in case I'd missed something. Now it's just me, and I do a check just before suitcases go out the night before disembarking, and again just before I leave the cabin for the last time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Earrings???? That's crazy! What, because they've been in someone's earlobe? Even hearing aids, if they're in the case/box should be okay to return. Most people who use hearing aids have them in the ears or in their containers, not lying around loose, so nobody would have to touch them. 

If/when your kids are old enough, make "last day treasure hunt" a game. Have them look in every drawer and closet, under the bed, etc to make sure you haven't left anything. I did the packing when DH was still with me, and I did a drawer/closet check the last morning. Then DH would do a check after me, just in case I'd missed something. Now it's just me, and I do a check just before suitcases go out the night before disembarking, and again just before I leave the cabin for the last time. 

We always double check, but I don't think my daughter always does. She self disembarked at 7.15 so was in a rush (as usual)

Crazy or not, the website states what's returnable and what's not for hygiene reasons and earrings [open box to find out what's inside?] could fall into this category through pedantry or just following guidelines. Many shops will only refund on earrings if faulty or through the shop's goodwill if earrings still in shop bought condition i.e not worn etc.

Edited by Victoria2
could, not would

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Crazy or not, the website states what's returnable and what's not for hygiene reasons and earrings [open box to find out what's inside?] could fall into this category through pedantry or just following guidelines. Many shops will only refund on earrings if faulty or through the shop's goodwill if earrings still in shop bought condition i.e not worn etc.

I understand what you are saying but these are in a small jewellery box so no need to touch them. All they have to do is return them as its not a shop and not asking for a refund. States online that jewellery can be returned doesn't say earrings are excluded. As I said earlier the world has gone mad, they are on an earlobe not inside her mouth or other parts of her body.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, delgirl said:

I understand what you are saying but these are in a small jewellery box so no need to touch them. All they have to do is return them as its not a shop and not asking for a refund. States online that jewellery can be returned doesn't say earrings are excluded. As I said earlier the world has gone mad, they are on an earlobe not inside her mouth or other parts of her body.

I agree with you but Cunard, if following common practise will be iffy about earrings. Not a lot one can do except learn from this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delgirl said:

I understand why stores don't want to take earrings back--one person wore them and the store doesn't want to sell them to another person. But these earrings were in HER earlobes and eventually going back into HER earlobes. Nobody in the crew is going to wear them. If they don't want to touch someone else's earrings, wear gloves. I do not see how this is a hygiene problem. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I understand why stores don't want to take earrings back--one person wore them and the store doesn't want to sell them to another person. But these earrings were in HER earlobes and eventually going back into HER earlobes. Nobody in the crew is going to wear them. If they don't want to touch someone else's earrings, wear gloves. I do not see how this is a hygiene problem. 

I think you'll find we are in agreement but unfortunately our thoughts on the subject  might not be enough to sway Cunard to open the box and find the earrings if they don't feel it's appropriate.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

I agree with you but Cunard, if following common practise will be iffy about earrings. Not a lot one can do except learn from this.

If Cunard wants to be really pedantic then the only way to remove the earrings would be to handle them, what would that achieve? so why not leave them where they are and return them in the jewellery box.If they absolutely have to take the earrings out of the box,then so be it but all the other items must surely be returned to the rightful owner.

4 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

If Cunard wants to be really pedantic then the only way to remove the earrings would be to handle them, what would that achieve? so why not leave them where they are and return them in the jewellery box.If they absolutely have to take the earrings out of the box,then so be it but all the other items must surely be returned to the rightful owner.

I agree, but will Cunard also agree.

Hopefully, we will get to know.

This is all assuming the jewellery will be in lost/left property. Fingers crossed it is.

Edited by Victoria2

9 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Brilliant suggestion, 3rdGenCunarder, regarding making it a treasure hunt game  for the children to double check the room.

3 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Brilliant suggestion, 3rdGenCunarder, regarding making it a treasure hunt game  for the children to double check the room.

Or, when in a large cabin, do as I do and start consolidating the day before and go over every drawer, cupboard and work surface with a forensic eye!

Oh and check the safe three times just before you leave! ☹️  👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Or, when in a large cabin, do as I do and start consolidating the day before and go over every drawer, cupboard and work surface with a forensic eye!

Oh and check the safe three times just before you leave! ☹️  👍

I do the same. Thank goodness for multiple closets so I can "sequester" clothing for the last morning so that don't have to disembark in a bathrobe. 😱

• Like 3