Disembarkation in New York

Just2guys

Could anyone who has disembarked in New York tell me how it went?  I hope somewhat better than Miami, which can oftentimes be problematic.  We are on a sailing that arrives at 7:00 a.m. in New York (I believe at the Manhattan terminal).  Allowing for customs clearance, etc., does a 2:00 flight from LaGuardia airport sound reasonable?  If I looked at the right source, it appears we are the only ship disembarking on that day.

Thanks in advance for any information that anyone can provide.

Just2guys:  

Done this disembarkation several times, most-recently when leaving Navigator in late June.  We benefitted by arriving at the Manhattan Terminal one-day earlier than scheduled due to a change in itinerary.  

Normally, ship will be "cleared" by Port authorities for disembarkation by 8:30am.  Have to get the passengers OFF to prepare for next segment arrivals.  If your particular itinerary includes a stop at San Juan, Puerto Rico shortly before New York arrival, the Passport checks will be conducted at the San Juan Terminal.  This is an additional time saver.  

You will be filling out a Debarkation Form several days before NYC.  You will provide details on your plans on debarkation day, particularly as to a flight leaving before/after 12:00 Noon.  The order on leaving the ship (color coded baggage tags) will be assigned based on your particular situation. 

Realizing that "stuff" can happen:  You should be o.k. as to that 2:00pm flight from LaGuardia, in any event.  .   

GOARMY!

It might be good to check what other ships are disembarking at the same time as you are. 
Last year we disembarked from a Seabourn cruise at the same time as one of the Monster of the Seas. 
Absolute chaos! While Seabourn staff did their best, after luggage pickup, all passengers from both ships just merged into one giant mass of humanity.
Exiting the terminal, you had to cross the street to try to get a taxi, hundreds, if not thousands, doing the same thing. 
You just had to be “New York aggressive “ or you would never have gotten a taxi.

I have no idea where you would have met a driver if you had booked one. Fortunately, it was a Saturday, so traffic was light. 
That said, we made it to LaGuardia in plenty of time for a 1 pm flight. 

labonnevie:  

We are fortunate to have one of our sons residing in Brooklyn.  He has provided "taxi" pick-up service on numerous occasions, from both the Manhattan and Brooklyn Piers.  Mark knows all the angles, and approaches.  No need to cross the street to our waiting ride; spend some time with him and two of our grandchildren; then be transported to whatever airport.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Just2guys said:

Could anyone who has disembarked in New York tell me how it went?  I hope somewhat better than Miami, which can oftentimes be problematic.  We are on a sailing that arrives at 7:00 a.m. in New York (I believe at the Manhattan terminal).  Allowing for customs clearance, etc., does a 2:00 flight from LaGuardia airport sound reasonable?  If I looked at the right source, it appears we are the only ship disembarking on that day.

Thanks in advance for any information that anyone can provide.

Aloha. Having been born and raised in Manhattan I have sailed from that terminal since the 1970s. Years ago I would park on the roof parking lot. Nowadays with the configuration of West Street and crazy traffic I park across 12th avenue in the side street lots.  I respect your sons planning for you and hope it goes well but I do not believe care service will be allowed to wait on that side or the ramps for you similar to airports. Also it depends on what other ships are in and the day of the week you are arriving. You will probably be able to make your flight as LaGuardia has recently been redesigned so drop off is much easier but remember you are going crosstown through Manhattan. If it is a weekend there can be festivals etc. If it is a weekday that is another story. If it is next week it is UN week which is chaos.  I have driven all my life in Manhattan and it doesn’t bother me but I always have an idea of what nonsense is going on lol!  Nowadays we divide our time between NY and Honolulu which has its own headaches of commuting. Seriously you need to make sure you can coordinate with your driver in case it really is too crazy and he has to wait for you across the street or a side street which is really my suggestion but follow of course your sons advice.  Regardless hope you have a wonderful voyage and please keep us posted! All the best.

We have disembarked at the Manhattan terminal a few times.  Most recently was last October.  Be aware that, as stated by others above, cars, car services, taxis, ubers, etc can't wait in the terminal.  You have to cross the street. 

Barring unexpected complications, you should easily be able to make a 2 pm flight from La Guardia.

O.K.   Full acknowledgement:  

Our son did not loiter at street level prior to retrieving us.  We stayed in contact via cell phone.  He accessed a ramp to the second level--also utilized by taxis dropping OFF passengers.  No waiting allowed.  We knew when to leave a dry, warm covered area (with our luggage); walk out a few steps to the curb; and--Viola!  Son drives up the ramp.  Quick loading and escape down the ramp to the main street below.  That's the street which runs right by the "Intrepid" Aircraft Carrier berth--which is adjacent to the Manhattan Pier Regent usually utilizes.   

BTW:  Should you have the opportunity--visit Intrepid.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GOARMY said:

O.K.   Full acknowledgement:  

Our son did not loiter at street level prior to retrieving us.  We stayed in contact via cell phone.  He accessed a ramp to the second level--also utilized by taxis dropping OFF passengers.  No waiting allowed.  We knew when to leave a dry, warm covered area (with our luggage); walk out a few steps to the curb; and--Viola!  Son drives up the ramp.  Quick loading and escape down the ramp to the main street below.  That's the street which runs right by the "Intrepid" Aircraft Carrier berth--which is adjacent to the Manhattan Pier Regent usually utilizes.   

BTW:  Should you have the opportunity--visit Intrepid.  

GOARMY!

Hi Jim - We did exactly the same thing the last time we sailed into Manhattan. Our "Limo Guy" waited for us on a nearby side street, and as soon as we came out of the terminal on the second level, we called him and he drove over and  picked us up right where the taxis drop off passengers.  It worked out perfectly for us.  👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi Jim - We did exactly the same thing the last time we sailed into Manhattan. Our "Limo Guy" waited for us on a nearby side street, and as soon as we came out of the terminal on the second level, we called him and he drove over and  picked us up right where the taxis drop off passengers.  It worked out perfectly for us.  👍

that's New York....you know a guy who knows a guy 🙂

8 hours ago, newlondon said:

I second visit the Intrepid. I served 3+ years on USS Essex the first of the Essex class.

The Intrepid is one of only two still floating. 

The Yorktown CV-10 is at Patriots Point in Mt. Pleasant, SC just across the harbor from Charleston. 

If you ever visit Charleston as a Port of Call, I suggest visiting them.  They have several dozen aircraft on the ship and land-side.  They also have the destroyer USS Laffey, DD-724. The ship that wouldn't die.

We visited last year when the Navigator did an overnight in Charleston.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Disembarked Mariner Pier 90 this am. Ship was in dock previous evening. Numbers/ colors finished by 9am. There then was a close to 90 minute wait to clear Immigration..no Customs. Luggage collection via porter about 10-15 min. If you arrange pvt car pick-up /2nd level/ there is a small traffic delay due to traffic but you should be on your way to airport by 11am. Regent will offer a bus transfer with time anticipated; perhaps someone who took it could comment.

I do not know. Our cruise was also sold as two segments so we saw/ experienced the disembarking for Barcelona. Numbers were called about 8-9 am..but I wasn’t timing them. 
We were in port/ NYC  the night before disembarkation. Ours began a few minutes pre 8am and ended at 9. If you are planning transportation, it might be wise to check w. R.

I was also on this cruise (Barcelona to NYC) and during the voyage I was offered the opportunity to sign up for (free) transportation to JFK to include a city tour as my homeward flight was not until the evening.  I'm glad I took advantage of it (once I found the bus - no-one to tell me, once I had collected my luggage, that I needed to go up a level rather than just exit onto the street).

The tour was excellent - free time at the 9/11 memorial, time for lunch in the Macys area and then a comprehensive tour of various JFK terminals dropping us off.  I saw more of the NY boroughs in those few hours then I did after spending several days in NYC!  Recommended.