10% VAT tax added to all "free at sea drinks" on NCL while in Med?

Alatraveler1

17 minutes ago, jvd1971 said:

Steamboat

NCL charge you more then 40%. The drinks are $ 17 and the taxes are $ 7,14. So they charge the first day in Marseille : 42 % tax! 

84d72d8e-8c1b-49f7-b2fa-51164296081b.jpeg

No, The VAT is 3.74. There is 3.40 gratuities. They should not appear on your onboard account.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alba1 said:

Read my post.

20% tax for everything.

An extra 10% charge when in a Port. Makes 30% in a Port.

So if you are trying to be smart or have a new calculator that you are playing with I will try to be more precise for you.

When at sea it was 20% = $4 tax for 2 $10 wines.

When in Port it was the 20% plus and extra 10% vat charge making it a total of 30% tax for all drinks and purchases in Port.

The point is that it is Stealth taxes being added that customers don't budget for.

You state on the other thread that your receipt was the same as the one posted there. That receipt had a total VAT charge of 22%, as stated by Steamboats

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jvd1971 said:

Steamboat

NCL charge you more then 40%. The drinks are $ 17 and the taxes are $ 7,14. So they charge the first day in Marseille : 42 % tax! 

84d72d8e-8c1b-49f7-b2fa-51164296081b.jpeg

As others said before... When you do have a package you are only charged the two lines saying "VAT 20%" (3.40 USD) and "VAT 10%" (0.34 USD) - so a total of 22% or 3.34 USD.

You are not charged the price of the drink (17 USD) or the "Grat/SVCCG (20%)" (3.40 USD). Those amounts are only to account the VAT -> 20% of the drinks price and 10% of the Service Charge.

When you don´t have a package you are charged the full amount of 24.14 USD, which is 42% of the price of the drinks.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

48 minutes ago, steamboats said:

When you don´t have a package you are charged the full amount of 24.14 USD, which is 42% of the price of the drinks.

Very well explained! But to be clear, it's still not 42% tax (and you don't say it is, just wanted to point it out to person claiming it is). 20% of it is a service charge.

18 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Yes, of course, 20% are the service charge and the rest is tax.

steamboats

Just realised that the 10% tax must be them taxing the service charge. Would that be correct?

So its 20% tax on the purchase and then 10% tax on the service charge?

Is that correct?

1 minute ago, Alba1 said:

Just realised that the 10% tax must be them taxing the service charge. Would that be correct?

So its 20% tax on the purchase and then 10% tax on the service charge?

Is that correct?

Yes,

20% on the price of the drink plus 10% on the 20% service charge. Total is 22%.

• Thanks 1

The main complaint from many is the lack of information except the qouted T&C. Odd thing is that I, (and I know others) HAVE received emails about possible VAT addons i Europe. Not this particular cruise (since I'm not on it...) but for other upcoming cruises. If this is NCL's consisten inconsistency (entirely possible!) or people not noticing emails/too aggressive spam filtering I don't know.
What bugs me the most about this isn't the VAT in itself. I'm a boring rule follower so that's not really a problem. But being that boring rule follower it bugs me to not KNOW the rules! Right now the speciality dining VAT/no VAT is kind of bugging me. But I think/hope that with time all will be clear. As mud...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

The main complaint from many is the lack of information except the qouted T&C. Odd thing is that I, (and I know others) HAVE received emails about possible VAT addons i Europe. Not this particular cruise (since I'm not on it...) but for other upcoming cruises. If this is NCL's consisten inconsistency (entirely possible!) or people not noticing emails/too aggressive spam filtering I don't know.
What bugs me the most about this isn't the VAT in itself. I'm a boring rule follower so that's not really a problem. But being that boring rule follower it bugs me to not KNOW the rules! Right now the speciality dining VAT/no VAT is kind of bugging me. But I think/hope that with time all will be clear. As mud...

3 minutes ago, PollyMurg said:

I have just read that the current cruise out of Marseille has no more VAT for the rest of the cruise and all related signage has been removed. 
Even more confused! 🤣

Edited by PollyMurg
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PollyMurg said:

I have just read that the current cruise out of Marseille has no more VAT for the rest of the cruise and all related signage has been removed. 
Even more confused! 🤣

OMG! Clear... as mud... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PollyMurg said:

Even more confused! 🤣

Have they left EU waters?  This seems to be a key part of the equation.  I know since July VAT has been levied for entirety of cruise if ship doesn't leave EU waters.  From what I track VAT is only being levied on some ports if they leave the EU.   

27 minutes ago, Girr said:

Have they left EU waters?  This seems to be a key part of the equation.  I know since July VAT has been levied for entirety of cruise if ship doesn't leave EU waters.  From what I track VAT is only being levied on some ports if they leave the EU.   

Maybe you should read the other 7 pages of this thread ;-).

steamboats

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Maybe you should read the other 7 pages of this thread ;-).

steamboats

I have, and you should know this as you keep tagging my post!

My question is legitimate. If the previous cruise wasn’t taxed, and now the VAT signs taken down, were they in non-EU waters?

2 minutes ago, Girr said:

My question is legitimate. If the previous cruise wasn’t taxed, and now the VAT signs taken down, were they in non-EU waters?

And your question was answered in this thread too. The recent Epic cruise started in Marseilles / France and only had French and Italian ports on the itinerary - so all EU ports. The current trip should be out of Marseilles and back again with ports in Italy and Spain - so again all EU ports. The next one is Marseille to Trieste with all EU-ports. Then it´s Trieste - Civitavecchia with Kotor/Montenegro as non EU-port.

steamboats

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Girr said:

I think maybe they are in Italian waters and Italy has not enforced the VAT previously.  But then neither had France until now...