Incidental expenses, how much money should I allow per day? (not including crew gratuities)

LSauls7537

56 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Forgot to mention a debit card.  If you need cash and use an ATM, you’ll need a debit.  We hit the ATM after arrival in Europe at a bank, if possible. The airport exchange rate is usually not very good. Just for a little cash in Euros.  Then, put the debit away in the ship safe.

Using a credit card for cash is very expensive.  If you don’t want to take your debit, you could get some Euros from your bank.  Some order them for you, doesn’t take long.

Another good tactic is to create a subaccount on your brokerage account (Schwab, for instance) and have them issue a debit card for that subaccount. Then only put a small amount of money into that subaccount and use the debit card to withdraw some of that money from an ATM when you need foreign currencies.  The conversion rate is usually at the inter-bank rate rather than some crappy rate you might get from a currency exchange.  Since the subaccount is separate from any main bank/investment account you might have, your exposure to fraud or hacking is limited to what's in the account, and that can be a small amount.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Another good tactic is to create a subaccount on your brokerage account (Schwab, for instance) and have them issue a debit card for that subaccount. Then only put a small amount of money into that subaccount and use the debit card to withdraw some of that money from an ATM when you need foreign currencies.  The conversion rate is usually at the inter-bank rate rather than some crappy rate you might get from a currency exchange.  Since the subaccount is separate from any main bank/investment account you might have, your exposure to fraud or hacking is limited to what's in the account, and that can be a small amount.

👍 works wonders when traveling abroad.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

If they did do a reader on that card and compromise it…are you liable for any charges made on it?

standard agreement is up to fifty dollars when we notify customer service within two business day's , and five hundred dollars if we do not notify customer service of theft or loss within two business days. 

16 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Just want to clarify for visitors to Aussie & NZ.

Those countries are NOT cashless.

Yes, you can get by with cards only.

However, if you wish to use cash you are able to do so almost everywhere.

Just don't try using US Dollars. Nope, nope, nope. In Australia use AUD and in New Zealand use NZD.

Credit card use: I have a Capital One card and it gives me "virtual card numbers" that can only be used in specific places. (I can also set an expiration date of my own choosing if I like.) I have a virtual number for Princess and it only works for Princess. I can, if I like, associate that same card with purchases made onshore at businesses that accept the Medallion as payment. (Not a ton of businesses but I have seen some - don't know about Australia and New Zealand though.) If I use my card in this manner the only way it can be scammed is if a charge is made using my Medallion which I find highly unlikely. (Of course I could lose the thing on shore and it could then be used at a shop that accepted the Medallion for payment.)

• Like 1