Lobster night in MDR. How many can you have?

tewkewl74

Hello, we are mulling over the unlimited specialty dining package and the only dinner we will likely have in the MDR would be the lobster night meal.

I am wondering how many lobsters you can have?  I don't need the extra filet, which i fully expect to be full of gristle.  I just want extra lobster. 
It looks like there is a $5 surcharge for each extra entree. What if I don't want an extra entree, but just another lobster, no sides and no steaks?

Any info would be helpful.  If I have to pay extra for lobster, might be better just to go to a specialty restaurant.

Thanks!

• Haha 1

Isn't the lobster an entrée (not sure of what they serve in the MDR)? If it is a kind of surf and turf you could probably order more and ask them to skip the side and steaks but they'll charge you $5 anyway (and probably still give you the sides and steak).

Edited by iwtobek

2 minutes ago, tewkewl said:

Not according the the new menu fine print. Where did you see that?  

There is no such fine print on the World Europa currently. QR_A_MD_DINNER_DAY5_EN_1694799249.pdfMy teenage son has ordered multiple main courses every night and no additional charges. Some more MDR menu examples attached.

QR_A_MD_DINNER_DAY4_EN_1694711538.pdf QR_A_MD_DINNER_DAY3_EN_1694541679.pdf QR_A_MD_DINNER_DAY2_EN_1694451879.pdf QR_A_MD_DINNER_DAY1_EN_1694366147.pdf QR_A_MD_DINNER_DAY7_EN_1694277598.pdf

11 minutes ago, taylordg said:

Btw you can have unlimited quantities of any courses in the MDR - no additional charge (apart from the T-bone steak).

That is no longer true on US sailings. I do not believe they have made that change on European sailings, which is why you aren't seeing it on the World Europa.

As to the OP's question: back in April, before the $5 charge for additional entrees, I was able to ask for a "surf & surf" in place of my "surf & turf" and received two lobster tails and no fillet. I am not sure if that would still be ab option now that they are restricting extra entrees.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

That is no longer true on US sailings. I do not believe they have made that change on European sailings, which is why you aren't seeing it on the World Europa.

As to the OP's question: back in April, before the $5 charge for additional entrees, I was able to ask for a "surf & surf" in place of my "surf & turf" and received two lobster tails and no fillet. I am not sure if that would still be ab option now that they are restricting extra entrees.

47 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

blast these inflation cost cutting measures.  All I want is a bunch of lobster. okay.  well, it's looking more and more likely that i'll just skip the MDR all together and eat butchers cut (i think you can go there twice on a 7 night cruise right?), ocean cay, teppanyaki, and mexican for lunch and dinner using an unlimited pass.

I also found out that you cannot bring cruise purchased wine into specialty dining.  what a crock.  I guess I'll have to get a bottle of the cheap merlot in the steakhouse and cheap sauv blanc for the seafood house. Then nurse these bottles over 7 nights.  sigh.  getting ripped of by 300% is my vibe I guess. 

16 minutes ago, tewkewl74 said:

blast these inflation cost cutting measures.  All I want is a bunch of lobster. okay.  well, it's looking more and more likely that i'll just skip the MDR all together and eat butchers cut (i think you can go there twice on a 7 night cruise right?), ocean cay, teppanyaki, and mexican for lunch and dinner using an unlimited pass.

I also found out that you cannot bring cruise purchased wine into specialty dining.  what a crock.  I guess I'll have to get a bottle of the cheap merlot in the steakhouse and cheap sauv blanc for the seafood house. Then nurse these bottles over 7 nights.  sigh.  getting ripped of by 300% is my vibe I guess. 

You could afford a lot of extra lobster tails in the MDR for the price you are paying for unlimited specialty dining!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

You could afford a lot of extra lobster tails in the MDR for the price you are paying for unlimited specialty dining!

true.  but then i'd have to suffer the lines and the middling food the other 6 nights.  as stated in my OP, we are only eating MDR once (potentially) for lobster.  otherwise we want to stay on our unlimited plan. thanks!

1 hour ago, tewkewl74 said:

true.  but then i'd have to suffer the lines and the middling food the other 6 nights.  as stated in my OP, we are only eating MDR once (potentially) for lobster.  otherwise we want to stay on our unlimited plan. thanks!

I just found it amusing that you are willing to throw out the big bucks for unlimited specialty dining, but $5 for extra lobster is a bridge too far. 😜

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I just found it amusing that you are willing to throw out the big bucks for unlimited specialty dining, but $5 for extra lobster is a bridge too far. 😜

Yeah.  Sounds kind of funny right.  But think of what I'd be sacrificing. I'd have paid for the unlimited meal, not used it and gone to the inferior MDR.  So it's not just 5 bucks, it's the value of a 60 dollar meal at ocean cay or butchers cut.  Plus the five bucks. Or actually 10 bucks. I wanted to get even more tails.  Unlimited specialty dining package for the whole cruise is 149 a pop. That's an insane deal for. 7 night cruise. Potentially 13 meals in specialty restaurant for 149.  

4 hours ago, tewkewl said:

Yeah.  Sounds kind of funny right.  But think of what I'd be sacrificing. I'd have paid for the unlimited meal, not used it and gone to the inferior MDR.  So it's not just 5 bucks, it's the value of a 60 dollar meal at ocean cay or butchers cut.  Plus the five bucks. Or actually 10 bucks. I wanted to get even more tails.  Unlimited specialty dining package for the whole cruise is 149 a pop. That's an insane deal for. 7 night cruise. Potentially 13 meals in specialty restaurant for 149.  

That is an insanely good deal! Unlimited specialty dining for my 10-day sailing beginning the 24th is $399 per person!

3 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

"Lobster night" is something very new on MSC on very limited sailings. Surf and turf or whatever you call it was always with king prawn, never lobster. Still 90 percent of the sailings or more will not offer lobster for free at all. Before it was 100 percent. 

This was my "surf & surf" on the Meraviglia in April:
PXL_20230423_223654832.thumb.jpg.00cef1b5cf02286e799fee4c22f09814.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, taylordg said:

Hi we started in Marseille on the 9th sep, the "day 1" menu was actually Genoa on the 10th sep.

Things I love about being on the Mediterranean is the proximity of world class towns and cities to each other. Hey you're a nice and Eze, the next day you're off the coast of liguria... You don't really have that in the US. It's at least two days between New York and anywhere in Florida you'd actually want to visit on a day trip. Port Canaveral doesn't really count.