A Few NCL ???

EmmasNana

I haven't sailed on NCL for probably 10 years but found an itinerary I really like. Hopefully I can get a few questions answered.

4 Free at Sea: I understand about paying the gratuities on drinks and dining.

1.  For the dining, pricing breakdown shows I would pay $39 per person for the specialty dining gratuities. What does it actually include? Does that mean I can go to any specialty dining, any time and order anything or is there some sort of limit?

2.  I didn't see where it was mentioned about regular gratuities for room stewards, servers and such. I assume there is a daily and pp gratuity. It doesn't appear to be wrapped in the 4 at sea. What is the daily pp gratuity for a regular balcony room?

3. Excursions: When they state we would get $50 per state room per excursion, is there some sort of limit on how many excursions you can apply this to?

4. The last time I was on NCL, we were allowed to bring on bottles of wine and were charged $15 per bottle. Do they still do this?

Thanks for any info. I will likely have more questions.

1 - You get a specific number of meals, which depends on the room type and length of cruise. For example, on a 7 night cruise it is 2 meals for a balcony or above and one meal for an Oceanview or inside. The actual numbers are on the website.

A meal is basically an appetiser, entree and dessert (with sides as appropriate). There are a few uncharge items.

2 - Service charge for a balcony is currently £20 per person per day.

3 - Excursion discount applies to the first person on the booking and can be applied to as many excursions as you take. If you have two excursions in one port then the excursion applies to both.

4 - Yes, you can still bring bottles on. If you have the beverage package they no longer charge you the corkage fee.

• Like 2

if you have the free at sea beverage program, there is no longer a fee for bringing onboard your own wine.

no limit to the number of excursions… you can even do more than one in the same day, if the schedule permits. but the $50 applies only to the first person on the reservation.

daily service charges are $20 per person per day. You can prepay and avoid any future increase, should there be any.

FAS dining in specialty restaurants… the number of meals you are awarded depends on cabin level and length of cruise. it’s not unlimited and advance reservations are helpful. these typically open up 120 days before your sailing. as for what you can order… it sometimes varies depending on the whim of the server or the imaginary policies of the individual restaurant, but your meal will generally include an appetizer, an entree and two sides and a dessert. sometimes an appetizer and a salad. your server will provide guidance. the prepaid dining gratuity is based on the retail price of the dining package. if you order something extra while dining, you’ll pay 20% on top of the price of that item.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, EmmasNana said:

I haven't sailed on NCL for probably 10 years but found an itinerary I really like. Hopefully I can get a few questions answered.

Thanks for any info. I will likely have more questions.

1.  For the dining, pricing breakdown shows I would pay $39 per person for the specialty dining gratuities. What does it actually include? Does that mean I can go to any specialty dining, any time and order anything or is there some sort of limit?

You can go to any specialty restaurant. For those denoted as "a la carte" with menu items individually prices (e.g., think about going to McDonalds with each item on the menu with a price), you can order 1 appetizer, 1 salad, 1 entree, and 1 dessert. There are a few fixed fee restaurants (Teppanyaki, Moderno) where the package cover the service charge. There are a few small plate restaurants (Sushi, Tapas, Raw Bar, Food Republic) where your package gets you 4 plates. So an example from last week:

image.png.6b4645c1079ca9805240d1a9492a4ecf.png

2.  I didn't see where it was mentioned about regular gratuities for room stewards, servers and such. I assume there is a daily and pp gratuity. It doesn't appear to be wrapped in the 4 at sea. What is the daily pp gratuity for a regular balcony room?

Free Daily Service Charges is sometimes (rarely) a promotion. Free Daily Service Charge is not a current NCL promotion. Some TAs will offer it if you book with them. Once your reservation is made, you have the option of pre-paying the service charges or they will automatically be added to your onboard bill:

• $25.00 USD per person per day for The Haven and Suites;
  • $20.00 USD per person per day for Club Balcony Suite and below;

3. Excursions: When they state we would get $50 per state room per excursion, is there some sort of limit on how many excursions you can apply this to?

A $50 credit will be applied to any shore excursion taken by Guest 1 on the reservation (first name listed on the reservation). If Guest 1 takes two excursions in a port, then both will get the discount. If Guest 1 takes a post-cruise excursion ending at the airport, a $50 credit will be applied. 

4. The last time I was on NCL, we were allowed to bring on bottles of wine and were charged $15 per bottle. Do they still do this?

If you have take the Free at Sea beverage package, there is no corkage fee. You can bring as many bottles of wine onboard as you can handcarry. However, with the beverage package, you can get as many glasses of wine, 2 at a time, as you want for the duration of your cruise. 

If you do not take the free Beverage Package, you are charge a corkage fee (no box wine):

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

wrt the Beverage Package, it covers the first $15 of every drink. If your drink price exceeds $15, you pay the difference plus gratuities on the difference. For example, if you order a drink that costs $16, you will pay $1.00 + $0.20 gratuity = $1.20. That being said, if you are not looking for top-shelf liquor, then you can get through a cruise with no additional charges. Start the day with a mimosa, progress to beer and mixed drinks, some lovely wine with dinner, and an after dinner drink before bedtime. We have never paid an upcharge. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1