Rome sites with HOHO BY Big Bus tour and accommodation questions

Gracelyn

I’m getting overwhelmed by so many side track thoughts so these are my top 

does the hoho go in one direction. So if we went to stop 3 for the colloseum can we return to stop 3 and go back the direction we came?

im mobility challenged due to low vision so should I look for accommodations near the stops? For less walking.I can walk 15 mins from stop to site. Or accommodation to bus stop. 

Is there an area of accommodations that is more plentiful. To find my budget of 250-300 $ cnd tax in with breakfast included. ( limited I know) for mid November this year. 
a list of accommodations would be helpful if I had an idea where I should look. 
is this hoho my best option if walking is limited. I believe this round trip is about 100 mins. Sites looking at are colloseum, trevi fountain, pantheon and Sistine

thanks All. And sorry for so many questions 

IMG_6106.png

We have stayed at the Best Western Royal Santina Hotel. This is just outside Termini Station and it's where stop 1 on your map is.  We liked the hotel and we paid the 16 Euro for breakfast (expensive but worth the convenience).  I'm pretty sure the HoHo bus only runs in one direction so if you get off at stop 3 you'd need to ride the entire route to get to stop 2 (someone may know better and I'm happy to be corrected). That being said, some of the stops aren't that far apart so you could walk.

• Like 1

I believe all of the HOHO buses originate at Termini, as mentioned above. If you have limited mobility and this is going to be your main way to get around, then I think considering a hotel at Termini makes sense. One that is within a couple of blocks of Termini station and the bus depot there that I can recommend is Hotel UNA. The rooms are fairly large for Rome and they have a very good breakfast.

The HOHO runs in a continuous loop and only in one direction. Honestly I don't think any one is better than another one. As mentioned in a similar thread, due to extreme traffic and dealing with a historic area where some sites have restricted access for vehicles, some sites cannot be seen while on the bus. You have to get off and walk to it (sometimes a couple of blocks). 

You may also be standing at the bus stop waiting for the next bus for a long amount of time if you get off and want to get back on. Can you stand for up to 30-40 minutes?

NOTE:  You mention the Sistine chapel -- most of the HOHO buses do not go by the Vatican. (There may be one, with a specific Christian focus that does....I can't remember.). And even if they did, there is nothing you can see of the Sistine chapel from the outside. 

• Like 1

Oh thanks about the information for the terminal area. I will check into those hotels. 
cruisemom you make a point of standing and waiting. I have a tripod type cane that turns into a seat. 

is there just one bus doing the route. Or a few separated thru the route.  

im rethinking staying somewhere around the trevi fountain stop 8. But the accommodations close to that stop are 350$+ 

5 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

is there just one bus doing the route. Or a few separated thru the route.

There is more than one bus doing the route, but I don't know how many. To be honest, I haven't taken the HOHO in Rome in many years, and even then it was a specialized one (Archeobus) that no longer runs....

I have to agree with many others that it's far from the best way to see Rome. I don't suppose your budget would run to a private tour using a golf cart?  There are a number of these offered in Rome (Google for more info). I think they are particularly good for those with some mobility challenges.

Huh! Golf carts? 
yes we were doing the hoho for more of a drop off and walk to the site. Finding a home base to stay. 

any recommendations in the colosseum area? Close to stop 3? 
im on the bunt now…my eyes are crossed and that’s extra funny when I’m already low vision lol

thanks for your help. 

1 hour ago, Gracelyn said:

Huh! Golf carts? 
yes we were doing the hoho for more of a drop off and walk to the site. Finding a home base to stay. 

any recommendations in the colosseum area? Close to stop 3? 
im on the bunt now…my eyes are crossed and that’s extra funny when I’m already low vision lol

thanks for your help. 

Hotel Nerva is a great hotel I've stayed at in the area close to the Forum and Colosseum. 

There are others. It's a long thread but you might want to scroll through it for recommendations made by other visitors: