Will a government shutdown stop cruise ships?

LB_NJ

6 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

We cruised once during a shut down. TSA and Customs were there but I was sure to say "Thank you for being here" to every one of them we passed.

When we sailed, they scaled back on the Agents during the shutdown.  There were long lines when debarking.  It was unnecessary.   It was a subtle way to send a message.                                                      

13 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

This is not how things work.  In the case of a shutdown essential personnel report to work as usual.  Essential workers include but not limited to, TSA, CBP, law enforcement and air traffic controllers.  There will be no reduction in TSA or CBP Officers in terminals. Air traffic controllers will still show up on Sunday unless they resign. Let’s not cause concern where there should not be.   

During the 2019 shutdown several hundred TSA called in sick.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/14/us-airports-see-even-more-tsa-screeners-call-in-sick-amid-shutdown.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kenb said:

This has no bearing on how things work.  Calling in sick is different from being told not to come in to work.  Truthfully, on any given day several hundred employees can call in sick and may actually do so.  However, it’s only newsworthy during a shutdown. 

@marieps There were some earlier replies, including from me, that veered into territory that resulted in some pruning, so very simply…

It’s complicated. TSA and CBP officers are considered essential by the DHS. Air traffic controllers are considered essential by the FAA. They can be compelled to work but can’t be paid without an appropriation, but thanks to a law passed in 2019 during the last lapse in appropriations they (and all federal employees) will get back pay once there are appropriations. Most of the administrative staff would be subject to furlough but they’d also eventually get paid. 

This year’s potential complication is the periodic reauthorization of the FAA also expires on Saturday. I’ve seen mixed opinions on that but that authorization includes the FAA’s ability to collect  and use fees involved in air travel. Not my area at all but that’s separate from their annual appropriation. 

Short answer as others have stated, I wouldn’t expect much change for travelers initially. Government employees should be paid Friday and the first financial impact would be October 13, the first playdate after any lapse. The biggest issue in the short term is you generally can’t take on a new obligation without an appropriation and in the past I’ve seen that result in freezing hiring actions, which could result in short staffing in some places. There are likely impacts on processing passports, Global Entry, and TSA Precheck related to travel. There are always potential impacts beyond paying personnel but that can be very agency and department specific. 

Beyond that, OMB will have implementation guidance standing by and federal agencies will have their contingency plans ready for Sunday and Monday if needed. 

• Like 1