Walking at the Ports

Mimie03

We are doing a Christmas cruise on Eurodam. 

Atm I’m walking with a cane (surgery in January). I’m concerned about walking to get to and from excursions. Does anyone know if there are shuttles of any sort at ports like San Juan, St. Thomas & Grand Turk plus the private island. Walking there won’t be as much of an issue as returning since after a day out, my foot is guaranteed to give me exhausted grief. I could bring a small walker but then there’s the ‘where to stash this thing’ on excursions and it’s just so cumbersome that I’d prefer to use my cane. 

So, with all that said, does anyone know if there’s some assistance available at these ports?

Just now, Mary229 said:

As recently as this spring San Juan and St Thomas had shuttles.  The San Juan was free, HAL provided.  The St Thomas was for a small fee provided by the port authority 

I’ll look for those. Thank you. I’ll happily pay the fee to save my energy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

Also since Holland America has a high proportion of well paying senior cruisers maybe they could provide some means to get into these ports. Again I’m unsure of how this works but I am seriously considering cancelling because of this issue, 

DO NOT count on HAL providing wheelchair assistance. They have clearly stated this, but I don't recall where. 

OP, consider renting a rollator, and bring your cane. On shore excursions it can be folded and stored under the bus. It will be brought to you when you disembark the bus at each stop. If the stop doesn't require it, you can then just use your cane. 
At the end of the tour, if you can't walk, you can sit and have your companion push you. 

On Half Moon Cay there is usually a shuttle that you can ask for a ride. I have done that, and with a little help from friends, it has worked well. 
Oh, a rollator won't work well there, as the wheels are so small and sink in the sand. 

Good luck with your surgery. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, RuthC said: 

OP, consider renting a rollator, and bring your cane. On shore excursions it can be folded and stored under the bus. It will be brought to you when you disembark the bus at each stop. If the stop doesn't require it, you can then just use your cane. 
At the end of the tour, if you can't walk, you can sit and have your companion push you. 

On Half Moon Cay there is usually a shuttle that you can ask for a ride. I have done that, and with a little help from friends, it has worked well. 
Oh, a rollator won't work well there, as the wheels are so small and sink in the sand. 

Good luck with your surgery. 

I do have a seated walker that has some good wheels with it. Good idea to bring both so I have options. I much prefer that idea over a wheelchair. 

Good to know that the private island has something to help you there and back. 

Thanks for the good wishes for my surgery. 

• Like 2