Best princess Alaska excursions

cusematt4

Hi all,we are planning our first ever trip to Alaska.

We are a family of 4 and are looking for the best and most highly reviewed tours.  We are open to anything but ideally want to try dog sledding at some point, in addition. To see wildlife and the best of Alaska.  We will likely do a pre cruise tour in Alaska for a few nights.

Does anyone have any insight or experience into the below tours with Princess we are considering, and is there anything else you’d recommend we consider?

Thank you 

Skagway

-Yukon expedition and white pass scenic railway $239.95   8.25 hours

Juneau

-Sled Dog Discovery & Musher's Camp $199.95 2.25 hours

-Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest $249.95  5.5 hours

Ketchikan

-Local Connections: Deadliest Catch Crab Fishermen's Tour Created By Captain David Lethin. $219.95 3.25 hours 

-Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show $39.95 1.25 hours

Vancouver

-Stanley Park Visit & City Highlights Drive With Airport Transfer $79.95  3 hours

How old are the kids?

Are you willing to book independently (and possibly save money or have fewer people on the trip) or do you want to stay with the cruise line?

Pre cruise tour - how many days?

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

We are a family of 4 and are looking for the best and most highly reviewed tours.  We are open to anything but ideally want to try dog sledding at some point, in addition. To see wildlife and the best of Alaska.  We will likely do a pre cruise tour in Alaska for a few nights.

Does anyone have any insight or experience into the below tours with Princess we are considering, and is there anything else you’d recommend we consider?

Thank you 

Skagway

Juneau

Ketchikan

-Local Connections: Deadliest Catch Crab Fishermen's Tour Created By Captain David Lethin. $219.95 3.25 hours 

Vancouver

-Stanley Park Visit & City Highlights Drive With Airport Transfer $79.95  3 hours

Skagway - The Yukon Expedition and White Pass Scenic Railway are very nice.  If it were me I would consider this tour rather than the ship excursion though https://chilkootcharters.com/bennett-scenic-journey/

Juneau - We had an absolutely amazing day whale watching with Jaylene's Alaska. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed going out with her. Their boats only take 6 people at a time. 

https://jayleensalaska.com/

Ketchikan - I think any kids would love the Deadliest Catch Excursion.  It's a lot of fun. It would be less expensive ($209 adults, $129 kids) to book directly and just go on your own. It's very close to the ship https://alaskacrabtour.com/

You can also book the Lumberjack show directly and save a bit https://alaskanlumberjackshow.com/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coral said:

How old are the kids?

Are you willing to book independently (and possibly save money or have fewer people on the trip) or do you want to stay with the cruise line?

Pre cruise tour - how many days?

Adult kids, so no age restrictions.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Thank you 

Skagway

Juneau

Ketchikan

Vancouver

Skagway

I would consider bus/train combo through Chilkoot: https://chilkootcharters.com/yukon-rail-bus/

Sort of best of both worlds. The bus allows you to get out and walk around. The views are different in different locations. You may be able to add a dog sled to this trip in Caribou Crossing for a nominal fee.

Ketchikan - I would drop the Lumberjack show. It is great for toddlers and seniors. I would watch some videos and see if they seem interesting to anyone. I have not done the Deadlist Catch but people rave about it.

Juneau - I would go with a smaller boat. Look for Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari by Gastineau Guiding (book through the ship)

https://www.stepintoalaska.com/excursions/whale-watching-mendenhall-glacier-photo-safari/

Or consider a small boat whale watching - such as Harv and Marv's or Jayleen's. Mendenhall is quickly retreating. If you skip it, life will go on.

Vancouver - that is a good tour to end before a flight.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1