Can Someone Splain This In The Wonky App?

SargassoPirate

15 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Did you have to wait like that “every night?

There was one night we had no wait. Most other nights, yes.  Part of the issue is we were a party of three; too big for a 2 top, not big enough for their 6 or 8 tops.  So, they would usually push two 2-tops together for us, which meant waiting for not one but two tables to be ready. 

3 hours ago, Qextor said:

Yes, you do.  On my last cruise, in September on the Majestic, people without reservations were being turned away from the Concerto restaurant, and even with a res, we waited 10-20 minutes or so to get a table. Reservations are important.

They were most likely advising them to head to one of the other DR's where they were handling walk-ups.  At least that is what should have been happening.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lovevacadays said:

I haven’t cruised Princess in quite a long time.  Do you have to reserve dining reservations in advance now?  

The one time I didn't make reservations, they do seat you but you'll wind up at the end of everyone else that has them. If it a crowded time you'll be waiting a good while. If it's at 5 PM or 8 PM then probably not. 

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

The one time I didn't make reservations, they do seat you but you'll wind up at the end of everyone else that has them. If it a crowded time you'll be waiting a good while. If it's at 5 PM or 8 PM then probably not. 

Even with reservations, there’s a risk.  Last month on Sapphire, we showed up on time for a 6:00 pm reservation.  The hostess apologized that “our table” wasn’t ready because the 5:00 people were lingering dessert and coffee.  We agreed to come back in 30 minutes rather than take an inferior table and she held it for us.

But I’m sure a 5:00 reservation would have been doable that night.  I am verrrrrry nice to the crew that seats us in the MDR.  

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

Even with reservations, there’s a risk.  Last month on Sapphire, we showed up on time for a 6:00 pm reservation.  The hostess apologized that “our table” wasn’t ready because the 5:00 people were lingering dessert and coffee.  We agreed to come back in 30 minutes rather than take an inferior table and she held it for us.

But I’m sure a 5:00 reservation would have been doable that night.  I am verrrrrry nice to the crew that seats us in the MDR.  

From what I've seen 6 PM is the beginning of peak time for any ship leaving from the US. 

I'm assuming that reservations at ANY time mean you'll be seated in the order of arrival if there isn't a seat available. With out any reservations you'll be last for sure.

We just eat early to avoid the whole debacle and never had any problems, but of course that's not for everyone. 

For anyone else having this issue, I got on live chat through the princess website and had the agent book them for me. All the reservations populated in my app at the same time so it seems like the "book every night at the same time" feature is still working through the princess agent booking side

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bethfelk said:

For anyone else having this issue, I got on live chat through the princess website and had the agent book them for me. All the reservations populated in my app at the same time so it seems like the "book every night at the same time" feature is still working through the princess agent booking side

Thanks for the feedback. Glad they could help you.

12 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Seems to me that a 5pm res isn't going to be finished dinner in less than 60 minutes..   or in 60 mins... in order to free a table.... unless they were known from previous nights to be fast eaters.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Seems to me that a 5pm res isn't going to be finished dinner in less than 60 minutes..   or in 60 mins... in order to free a table.... unless they were known from previous nights to be fast eaters.

In 60 minutes we barely get to eat appetizers, soup and soup and we arrive when they first open.

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

We can get in and out in about 90 mins.

On a couple of evenings when we were in a bit of a hurry, we asked for the starter and main to be delivered at the same time.  The waiter looked a bit skeptical, but I told him that's the way SWMBO serves dinner at home.  From then on, we got our starters and mains at the same time and it worked well for us.

If you don't ask, it's an automatic NO.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

We  have never really had any issues with time in the MDR. Out in under 90 mins. The only issues with time that we have had was in the Bistro sur la Mer but it was never long enough to complain. Just made for a relaxed meal 🙂. We always eat early, often when they open and never later than 6pm so perhaps that is the reason.

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

We can get in and out in about 90 mins.

And a good portion of that 90 min is sometimes waiting to place an order. 

Sometimes we just leave the DR after the main course to get to a show & return afterwards for coffee & dessert if something looked appealing. 

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I don’t think anyone is expected to complete a meal in the MDR in 60 minutes although it is possible.  My meal is pre-ordered, we don’t eat dessert, don’t drink coffee after the meal, bring our own glass of wine to the table and Mrs BV eats only a main. So 60 minutes is doable for us.

In this instance, there were 2 hostesses and one had sat a party at the table the other was holding for our 6 PM reservation. Had they skipped coffee and dessert, it might have been ready at 6 or perhaps shortly thereafter.  

So, it was likely a miscommunication issue.  We did not have an issue the remainder of the cruise and always sat at that table at 6.

The point I intended to make was that the MDR cannot guarantee that a table is available at a certain time unless they don’t fill it until you arrive. You can schedule using averages, even add a standard deviation, and there will still be times when people won’t get up from the table until they’re damn good and ready.

Edited by BamaVol

48 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I really wonder how long they hold any of these reservations, especially when there's a line at the door waiting to sit down? 

We’ve been told by several ships that they hold the table 10 mins and sometimes 15 mins max, depending how busy it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1