Not quite ready for prime time

commodoredave

My experience with the Seabourn Expedition cruise people to date has been disappointing to the point where I have to say the expedition offering is not quite ready for prime time.

Our story begins a year ago when we booked an expedition cruise on the soon-to-be launched Seabourn Pursuit for October of this year. At the time, we had been on 7 regular Seabourn cruises, and decided to give their new Expedition cruises a try.

The launch date for the Pursuit kept getting pushed back to the point we thought our cruise would be cancelled. Troubling and worrying, but we stuck with and six months later the launch date was finally confirmed and we could relax.

Next, we started to get emails from Seabourn every 2 to 3 weeks telling us that we could submit our passenger information and preferences for our cruise on the “Seabourn Venture.” I wrote to our TA and Seabourn several times telling them we were on the Pursuit and not the Venture, but the emails telling us we were on the Venture continued to come.

Next, we were advised by Seabourn for several months that we could now book our shore excursions, but there were no excursions on the Seabourn website to book. A few months later, pre and post cruise excursions were listed, but nothing else.

The emails telling us that we could book our shore excursions continued weekly, and eventually one excursion was added for one of the ports. Several more weeks of prompting to book excursions brought one more port with excursion choices. The drip-feeding continued for months, but we now have 4 ports with excursion options with several still missing.

Then the confusion started about what the health requirements were for the cruise. Two weeks ago Seabourn sent out different and more detailed information about the requirement for a Yellow Fever vaccine or doctor’s certificate for a counter-indication. If one was off-side with these requirements, not much time to prepare.

Then, yesterday, Seabourn sent out health information that advised a Covid-19 booster received within 270 days of departure was required to board the ship. My DW and I both had Covid in May, so skipped the booster we would have normally had shortly after that. Now, apparently, we were off-side with that requirement.

However, an email sent to our TA a day later who checked with Seabourn determined that the Covid advisory was sent in error and is not required on our cruise. Now we could cancel the appointment we had made at the last minute to get a booster.

To ensure we fully realized that management of Seabourn Expeditions was not quite ready for prime time, we received an email today telling us that our boarding time was at 2:00 pm, 20 minutes after the boarding time provided to the couple we booked with and are travelling with. Oh yes, we are gold members in a Panorama Veranda Suite, while our friend are first-time Seabourn cruisers in a V2 Suite. Apparently, the more time and money one spends with Seabourn, the less value they place on you. We told our TA about this, and she immediately called Seabourn and had them change our boarding time to be the same as our friends with no status and in a lower category cabin. Is a complaint from a TA really necessary for Seabourn to do the right thing?

Fortunately, there are plenty of other cruise options out there clamoring for our business. So, after sailing on a SilverSea expedition cruise, and participating in a Ponant webinar with our travel agency yesterday, you may understand why this will likely be our last Expedition cruise with Seabourn.

If you have had any negative experinces with Seabourn Expeditions, feel free to weigh in with your comments.

Edited by commodoredave

58 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

My experience with the Seabourn Expedition cruise people to date has been disappointing to the point where I have to say the expedition offering is not quite ready for prime time.

Our story begins a year ago when we booked an expedition cruise on the soon-to-be launched Seabourn Pursuit for October of this year. At the time, we had been on 7 regular Seabourn cruises, and decided to give their new Expedition cruises a try.

The launch date for the Pursuit kept getting pushed back to the point we thought our cruise would be cancelled. Troubling and worrying, but we stuck with and six months later the launch date was finally confirmed and we could relax.

Next, we started to get emails from Seabourn every 2 to 3 weeks telling us that we could submit our passenger information and preferences for our cruise on the “Seabourn Venture.” I wrote to our TA and Seabourn several times telling them we were on the Pursuit and not the Venture, but the emails telling us we were on the Venture continued to come.

Next, we were advised by Seabourn for several months that we could now book our shore excursions, but there were no excursions on the Seabourn website to book. A few months later, pre and post cruise excursions were listed, but nothing else.

The emails telling us that we could book our shore excursions continued weekly, and eventually one excursion was added for one of the ports. Several more weeks of prompting to book excursions brought one more port with excursion choices. The drip-feeding continued for months, but we now have 4 ports with excursion options with several still missing.

Then the confusion started about what the health requirements were for the cruise. Two weeks ago Seabourn sent out different and more detailed information about the requirement for a Yellow Fever vaccine or doctor’s certificate for a counter-indication. If one was off-side with these requirements, not much time to prepare.

Then, yesterday, Seabourn sent out health information that advised a Covid-19 booster received within 270 days of departure was required to board the ship. My DW and I both had Covid in May, so skipped the booster we would have normally had shortly after that. Now, apparently, we were off-side with that requirement.

However, an email sent to our TA a day later who checked with Seabourn determined that the Covid advisory was sent in error and is not required on our cruise. Now we could cancel the appointment we had made at the last minute to get a booster.

To ensure we fully realized that management of Seabourn Expeditions was not quite ready for prime time, we received an email today telling us that our boarding time was at 2:00 pm, 20 minutes after the boarding time provided to the couple we booked with and are travelling with. Oh yes, we are gold members in a Panorama Veranda Suite, while our friend are first-time Seabourn cruisers in a V2 Suite. Apparently, the more time and money one spends with Seabourn, the less value they place on you. We told our TA about this, and she immediately called Seabourn and had them change our boarding time to be the same as our friends with no status and in a lower category cabin. Is a complaint from a TA really necessary for Seabourn to do the right thing?

Fortunately, there are plenty of other cruise options out there clamoring for our business. So, after sailing on a SilverSea expedition cruise, and participating in a Ponant webinar with our travel agency yesterday, you may understand why this will likely be our last Expedition cruise with Seabourn.

If you have had any negative experinces with Seabourn Expeditions, feel free to weigh in with your comments.

Calm down and carry on.

You haven't set foot on the ship yet.

Shoreside experience is always a dogs breakfast compared to what you get on board.

Just think yourself lucky,you could have booked with Explora Journeys 😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Calm down and carry on.

You haven't set foot on the ship yet.

Shoreside experience is always a dogs breakfast compared to what you get on board.

Just think yourself lucky,you could have booked with Explora Journeys 😀

Of course you are correct, and that we will have far more fun on the ship than preparing for it. However, for us, the anticipation of a great vacation is almost worth as much as taking it. In this case, Seabourn has robbed us of that pleasure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

...this will likely be our last Expedition cruise with Seabourn.

It sounds as though you've worked yourself up to quite a negative state.

I do understand the frustrations you've had.

I sympathize that SB has "robbed us" of the pleasure of anticipation, as that's important to us, also.

But is it really so bad to be given a boarding time 20 minutes later than your friend's?

The issues regarding excursions and the Covid vaccination are significant, but they were worked out, so why let them ruin your attitude?

As they say, if you want to have a good time, you'll have one.  If you want to have a bad time, you'll have one.  I hope you choose wisely!

Please follow up on this board with a review of your cruise. 

And I hope you have a great time!

14 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Of course you are correct, and that we will have far more fun on the ship than preparing for it. However, for us, the anticipation of a great vacation is almost worth as much as taking it. In this case, Seabourn has robbed us of that pleasure.

I have lost count of the times that a cruise company has put a spanner in the works and messed up a booking or details regarding a booking.

I don't have anything to do with a cruise company involving booking anymore.

I have my very experienced TA look after the whole thing.

I turn up at a reasonable time to board that suits me although I am considerate and don't turn up at silly o'clock demanding to board like the last time when two ladies tried to board the Pursuit in Barcelona at 09.00 

Us Diamond Elite folks get on without any fuss anyway.😀

Edited by Mr Luxury

1 minute ago, skybluewaters said:

It sounds as though you've worked yourself up to quite a negative state.

I do understand the frustrations you've had.

I sympathize that SB has "robbed us" of the pleasure of anticipation, as that's important to us, also.

But is it really so bad to be given a boarding time 20 minutes later than your friend's?

The issues regarding excursions and the Covid vaccination are significant, but they were worked out, so why let them ruin your attitude?

As they say, if you want to have a good time, you'll have one.  If you want to have a bad time, you'll have one.  I hope you choose wisely!

Please follow up on this board with a review of your cruise. 

And I hope you have a great time!

I'm pretty sure the cruise will be very good, just like all the other cruises we've taken with Seabourn. However, when onboard staff have to make up for the bad impression left by shoreside management, there is something not quite right about the organization. Perhaps adding 2 new expedition ships in close proximity has tested management's bench strength. But that should not be my problem. And yes, when two couples are travelling together, they should be boarding together. The good news is that SB's excuse was that the computer assigned the boarding times. I say good news because this shows that Artificial Inteligence still has a long way to go before it can replace good human common sense! 😄

7 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I have lost count of the times that a cruise company has put a spanner in the works and messed up a booking or details regarding a booking.

I turn up at a reasonable time to board that suits me although I am considerate and don't turn up at silly o'clock demanding to board like the last time when two ladies tried to board the Pursuit on Barcelona at 09.00 

I don't let it bother me for long. That's why after 81 cruises, we've never cruised with any one cruise line that often. We keep switching to different lines, stay until they screw up, they move on to the next one. Strange thing is that they all willingly except our money.😉

1 minute ago, commodoredave said:

I don't let it bother me for long. That's why after 81 cruises, we've never cruised with any one cruise line that often. We keep switching to different lines, stay until they screw up, they move on to the next one. Strange thing is that they all willingly except our money.😉

I can't even remember my eighty first cruise it was so long ago.😀

The thing is,money fits in everywhere but we don't fit in everywhere.

Wait until you get into that lovely Panorama suite.

Mrs Dave will be like a pig in,well you know what.😀

• Like 1

I hope the OP realizes he is not on an expedition cruise, it’s really a repositioning cruise.   I never realized that we boarded Seabourn based on our loyalty level, we are almost Diamond and our boarding times have varied.   I hope the OP will be satisfied with less dining choices and less entertainment.   We only take the Expedition ships for true expedition voyages, other than that we prefer the larger ships.

4 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I turn up at a reasonable time to board that suits me although I am considerate and don't turn up at silly o'clock demanding to board like the last time when two ladies tried to board the Pursuit in Barcelona at 09.00 

Why do you feel obliged to often remind us of your elitism? 😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

But it's entertaining pseudo Elitism. A true Elitist would never post on CC. 🤣

So funny.  My thoughts exactly.  It is indeed always amusing to see how some have a desperate need to try to feel superior to  - and seek approval from - those whose they don’t even know.  (This entertainment is a fun and comic diversion from my work and the real world.)

Edited by Hobar
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Why do you feel obliged to often remind us of your elitism? 😬

I think the context is helpful. If someone's got a perspective good to know if they've got <10 cruises under their belt (like us), or >100.

Plus everything about @Mr Luxury, from his handle to his behavior, seems to be delivered with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I hope the OP realizes he is not on an expedition cruise, it’s really a repositioning cruise.   I never realized that we boarded Seabourn based on our loyalty level, we are almost Diamond and our boarding times have varied.   I hope the OP will be satisfied with less dining choices and less entertainment.   We only take the Expedition ships for true expedition voyages, other than that we prefer the larger ships.

I realize it's only 50% expedition, but that's the part that is on the Amazon River. It's basically a one week Caribbean cruise combined with a one week Amazon River cruise. And, that's one of the reasons why it was so well priced. My main point about boarding time was that when we book with and travel with another couple, we have always been boarded at the same time, no matter what the cruise line. I thought it was ironic that despite our higher loyalty status, we couldn't board at the same time as our friends travelling with less status -- it looked like we were being punished for our loyalty. 

2 hours ago, reposado said:

You can board anytime you want as long as its during the embarkation window. No one is going to turn you away showing up at a time different from your assigned time. 

Thanks for the tip. My TA called SB and straigthen it out. SB were embarrased that the "computer" assigned us different boarding times than our friends since our reserations are linked. 

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

@commodoredave. It's the corporate mother ship we all struggle with. The actual ship,  specifically Venture and Pursuit should seal your heart.  Seabourn staff are excited to work on them and it shows.

I agree. All of our previous cruises with SB have been delightful, and I see no reason why this one will be any different. And one of the best parts will be that once we are on the ship, we won't have to deal with shoreside!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markandjie said:

I think the context is helpful. If someone's got a perspective good to know if they've got <10 cruises under their belt (like us), or >100.

Plus everything about @Mr Luxury, from his handle to his behavior, seems to be delivered with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Well said. I put a premium value on advice from well-seasoned cruisers like Mr. Luxury and others like him, so I appreciate knowing how much actual experience they have with a cruise line and ship that I may be considering. I also love the manner in which some of the advice is delvered -- often good fun. So please keep it up!!

13 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

I agree. All of our previous cruises with SB have been delightful, and I see no reason why this one will be any different. And one of the best parts will be that once we are on the ship, we won't have to deal with shoreside!

Sure does feel good to let off a little steam, doesn't it?  And helps to know you are not alone in your perspective. 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Yes and no.

Diamond and Diamond Elite board early.

That's the only differentiation based on status.

Not always so. I was close to being Diamond Elite in January and was assigned a 2.30 check in time which was fine as I enjoyed lunch before boarding in Miami. In August my Diamond Elite transfer was organised for 12.45 which I was fine with but I know some prefer to board earlier.

@commodoredave I'm glad you got it sorted out. From my experience if you had turned up at the same time as your friends you would have been allowed to board at the same time. Have a wonderful time on Pursuit. I have heard great things from friends who have sailed on the new expedition ships.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1

Post-Covid, Seabourn's process for boarding times defies any logical explanation. They assign you a time a few weeks prior to embarkation, and then modify it one, two or three times in the days leading up to your cruise. What information is changing that warrants the multiple emails and time changes?!

We too have traveled with friends and been assigned different boarding times. The boarding times have not been based on who has traveled more, as newbies have sometimes been given earlier times than us.

And all of it seems not to matter, as you can show up pretty much anytime in the boarding window and will be accommodated. Not once has anyone on the shoreside team asked or checked our assigned boarding time. So my advice is to simply shrug this part of the experience off, show up when you want (after noon), and it will all go smoothly. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Not always so. I was close to being Diamond Elite in January and was assigned a 2.30 check in time which was fine as I enjoyed lunch before boarding in Miami. In August my Diamond Elite transfer was organised for 12.45 which I was fine with but I know some prefer to board earlier.

@commodoredave I'm glad you got it sorted out. From my experience if you had turned up at the same time as your friends you would have been allowed to board at the same time. Have a wonderful time on Pursuit. I have heard great things from friends who have sailed on the new expedition ships.

Thanks. It’s getting close!!