Is Arrival Time = Disembarking Time??

LanceRomance

2 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

There is no difference between MSC and all the other cruise lines. But some port authorities act very inconsistent. 

If you have a 13:00 boarding time and show up a 11:00 can you get on or do you have to wait? TY 

3 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

There is no difference between MSC and all the other cruise lines. But some port authorities act very inconsistent. 

On Celebrity we can choose a check-in time when we check in for our cruise, normally 45 days in advance of sailing.  On MSC I noticed that I was assigned a boarding time when I looked at our booking on their web site.  Does not sound like "no difference" to me. 

Also, on Celebrity in the Retreat we could show up any time we want to.  Does YC on MSC work the same way (i.e. can I ignore the time on the web site and show up when we are ready)? 

6 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Does YC on MSC work the same way (i.e. can I ignore the time on the web site and show up when we are ready)? 

Yes. From our experience and everything mentioned on these boards, yes. But that is never a guarantee about the future. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arrival time is the time your ship is scheduled to dock. Debarkation at an EU port usually starts some half an hour later when there is clearance from Port's authorities. If you are from the US there are good news for you: If your cruise is European Union exclusive you won't need to pass immigration/costumes at the port once it will be such a domestic sailing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LanceRomance said:

Anyone have any experience in Le Havre. I am trying to map up when I would get off the boat to catch a train to Paris. Our boat is scheduled to arrive at 9:00, I am wondering when I can expect to be off the boat.

Someone posted on another thread that on the northern Europe itinerary, people could usually get off the ship around a half hour after docking. Nonetheless, if SNCF sells a flexible ticket to Paris, it might be wise to buy it instead of one for a specific train with no changes allowed. For our upcoming northern Europe cruise, I've booked trains in Hamburg, Rotterdam and Zeebrugge but am renting a car at the La Havre stop.

• Like 1

Just an added note that in the US if you are not on a closed-loop cruise like a repositioning cruise then the entire ship's company has to clear customs as well. It will take even longer to clear the ship as those crew members that go ashore to assist with debarkation and embarkation have to clear customs first even though the ship holds their passports.

Edited by Brighton Line

20 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

On Celebrity we can choose a check-in time when we check in for our cruise, normally 45 days in advance of sailing.  On MSC I noticed that I was assigned a boarding time when I looked at our booking on their web site.  Does not sound like "no difference" to me. 

Also, on Celebrity in the Retreat we could show up any time we want to.  Does YC on MSC work the same way (i.e. can I ignore the time on the web site and show up when we are ready)? 

The reference was to "disembarkation," not embarkation.  You can treat the assigned time for check in as a guide.  Specifically, for YC, just show up when you want (as long as it is after 10:00 am on US=based sailings).

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2023 at 1:56 AM, joe/jack said:

If you have a 13:00 boarding time and show up a 11:00 can you get on or do you have to wait? TY 

The answer unfortunately is maybe. Just now MSC has changed their online check in system with the MSC for me app. Looks now totally as a airline boarding pass with the boarding time 🙂  You choose your own slot now, so if you have not checked in yet, do it 30 days before departure, then you should be able to get the 11 to 12 slot. As others said, this is not relevant for YC and Aurea guests. 

On 10/3/2023 at 12:36 AM, LanceRomance said:

Anyone have any experience in Le Havre. I am trying to map up when I would get off the boat to catch a train to Paris. Our boat is scheduled to arrive at 9:00, I am wondering when I can expect to be off the boat.

Should be around 9 or at least 9:30. But don´t underestimate the walk to the railway station, it looks close but the way out of the port is long.