Sail Away: What Happens?

GMIAC

5 hours ago, Huggsy said:

We were on Splendor in April of this year and there was indeed a Block Party. However, hubby refused point blank to join in so we were confined to our suite until it was 'safe' to venture out. 😄

I would be happy to meet him in the bar instead.....

• Like 1

After the announcement it went like this .... Me: "Do you want to?"

Hubby: "No, I bloody well don't"

Me: "Oh, go on, it'll be a laugh!"

Hubby: "No!"

A few minutes later, he said "Stick your head out the door - make sure they're gone"

😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I was disappointed when CD Handre brought this idea from Regent to Seabourn when he joined. I have tried it a few times but maybe because we are from Australia I find the chatter mainly about places in the USA people where people live and visit, forced conversation. So we avoid it and will do so on Regent. Luckily we dine late so are occupied getting ready in our suite when it occurs.

I’m also from Australia and find the Block Parties fun. It’s always lovely to chat with new people, no matter where they’re from in the world. The parties don’t go for long and “small chat” is very appropriate, when talking to someone new. 

• Like 1

Just now, czardas said:

I’m also from Australia and find the Block Parties fun. It’s always lovely to chat with new people, no matter where they’re from in the world. The parties don’t go for long and “small chat” is very appropriate, when talking to someone new. 

I'm glad you enjoy them but as I said earlier I have encore entered quite a few and attempted to join a couple but they just are not my thing. But I have never been one for larger social gatherings with people I don't know. I like chatting to people but in more on a one to one basis or a very small group.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Huggsy said:

After the announcement it went like this .... Me: "Do you want to?"

Hubby: "No, I bloody well don't"

Me: "Oh, go on, it'll be a laugh!"

Hubby: "No!"

A few minutes later, he said "Stick your head out the door - make sure they're gone"

😄

I totally get your husband 😄.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The block parties work much better on the older ships where there is a single hallway down the center of the ship.  On the Explorer the hallways on the sides are narrower and you have to go further down the passage to meet anyone except the cabin right next to you were even a few people will block the passage.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I have tried it a few times but maybe because we are from Australia I find the chatter mainly about places in the USA people where people live and visit, forced conversation. So we avoid it and will do so on Regent. Luckily we dine late so are occupied getting ready in our suite when it occurs.

I completely agree. It's forced conversation and not organic in any way. We are from the US and still find it awkward. And we also tend to dine late...a great excuse to skip it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poolechick said:

I completely agree. It's forced conversation and not organic in any way. We are from the US and still find it awkward. And we also tend to dine late...a great excuse to skip it. 

Or just hide until the coast is clear😂

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, RELS said:

There's often a pool deck party, with wait staff circulating with champagne, perhaps a couple of specialty cocktails, and hors d’oeuvres. The band is playing, and there are often officers in uniform mingling with the guests.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:24 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

What actually seems more popular is the "Block Party".

On our latest cruise on Splendor in August, there were no sail away events on deck in any port, which I found little surprising. Even though we were in Iceland, it wasn't terribly cold. 

Also no Block Party, which didn't bother me. 

Maybe it was the cruise director?

We enjoyed our first (and thus far only) Block Party.  Discovered our next door neighbors were an absolutely delightful couple we had met at lunch on embarkation day.  Also met members of the entertainment staff: a dancer and a musician.  Both were lovely.  The musician, who was from Argentina, was surprised to learn I speak Spanish.  It was such a lovely, organic way to meet and get to know people.  I hope others felt the same way.

• Like 7