Royal Princess: Club Class Mini Suite - Forward Facing: what's your experience?

photomikey

How are these staterooms?  Looking at 13 days, port-heavy, around New Zealand from Australia (in November).  I know it'll be windy up there underway, but I am a sucker for a good sailaway balcony and having people over for a sail away party.

Did 10 days to Mex Riv in L107. LOVE that cabin. 

On the plus side: Bigger than some NYC apartments. The "divide" between the seating area and the "bedroom" is such that it's almost like two different rooms. The balcony is super large. You like sailaway balcony time? This is the one for you. We skipped going ashore in Manzanillo and just partied out there all day with the beverage package and room service. Awesome time. Plenty of room for guests.

Only negatives I had: There is movement up there, so you will feel the sea. It is far from Piazza, but a super close walk to Lido.

This is Royal Princess - L107:

image.thumb.png.8aa569973b1975dea62a334a97612d29.png

image.thumb.png.ed79536779d16d1939e3a0f165af0d75.png

image.thumb.png.886aeaae9bbc27132d0aa9ee7b6c8d15.png

image.thumb.png.4a99769bab8ec8f79c8ea0e70902337a.png

image.thumb.png.2d8a5c3b3ad8e899ebad343b364046a0.png

These are all the pics I could find on the quick, but these plus what you find online should give you a good idea of what's happening there. Here is L107 on Majestic, which is nearly identical (not my video).

• Like 2

This link is a great help. The question always seems to come up about whether the door to the balcony is locked at sea, as somewhere on the Princess site it says no access to balcony while at sea, but this is not actually the case. You have access at any time, They do say they require you to close your window curtains at night, si that the light does not interfere with bridge operations

Enjoy!

Sean

5 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Only negatives I had: There is movement up there, so you will feel the sea. It is far from Piazza, but a super close walk to Lido.

Thanks so much!! How's the wind up there, when you're at sea?

7 hours ago, photomikey said:

How's the wind up there, when you're at sea?

It's windy as you'd imagine. But weather conditions relative to the ship's heading plays a factor. For example, if the ship is steaming 20 knots into a 20 knot headwind that's a no-go. But if she's doing 20 knots with 20 knots blowing at her stern, that's a different story. The bulkhead shields the wind somewhat while seated, too. I remember spending some time out there while underway.

If it gets too windy, cabin steward is instructed to tie down furniture.  There will be notes on your booking confirmation that say something to effect of balcony use while in port only, but that has never been the case.  Curtains have to remain shut after dusk to prevent light from the cabin from interfering with navigation.

12 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

There will be notes on your booking confirmation that say something to effect of balcony use while in port only,

After having done a forward 4 times, I have never seen anything on the travel docs about accessing the forward balcony.

There is a little sign on the door. I have never seen it enforced (by locking doors, etc.).

28 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

After having done a forward 4 times, I have never seen anything on the travel docs about accessing the forward balcony.

There is a little sign on the door. I have never seen it enforced (by locking doors, etc.).

The unenforced warning in is in the fine print of the Book Confirmation's of those who book these cabins and in the deck plans.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 054657.png

Screenshot 2023-10-03 053425.jpg

2 hours ago, steve4031 said:

If you turn the lights of, is it ok to keep the curtains open to look out at night? 

Maybe--if you disable the motion sensors that control the hallway light and lights underneath the nightstand, which turn on to the slightest bit of detected motion.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Maybe--if you disable the motion sensors that control the hallway light and lights underneath the nightstand, which turn on to the slightest bit of detected motion.

How many times have you stayed in one of these suites? 

• Like 1

Had a wonderful , early in season Alaska  cruise in L107. What a great cabin. Not so sure I want to sing its praises as others will catch on to this great category of cabins. The drapes were never pulled close in the evenings by our cabin steward.

The balcony size was beyond for this class of ships. I can only imagine the parties that could be enjoyed in a warmer sailing. No desire to do the Mexican Riviera any time , but would love to do it just to enjoy this cabin. 

Spending less than a full suite but so worth the money , for size and privacy. The views alone from the deck alone was worth every penny spent. Indulge......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, photomikey said:

How many times have you stayed in one of these suites? 

I stayed in a club class forward facing corner mini-suite once.  It was Shanghai to Sydney in 2018 on the Majestic Princess for a repositioning cruise.

I've stayed in a forward facing Obstructed Deluxe Balcony numerous times.  The most recent was on the Majestic to Alaska September 2022.  My one experience where the balcony furniture had to be strapped down due to the wind was on the Royal Princess on a transatlantic to Fort Lauderdale.

Granted, each time I've stayed in these forward facing cabins, it's been Princess who has assigned them; I book guarantee cabins.