How does the “life of an explorer” day work on the Great Lakes cruises?

OnTheJourney

15 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Have been on Great Lakes Explorer cruise visiting all sites you mentioned and have no idea what you are referring to.

If you look at the itinerary online you’ll see what I’m referring to (if looking at each day’s shore excursions.)

Looked again and now see what you're referring to. I can only speculate that the terminology is used because there is not really a town, etc. at these locations (there is a town at Silver Islet, but it consists of a general store and a street. The excursions/activities shown are those of an "explorer" (hikes, zodiac outings, kayaking and special ops boat). There are no specific "Life of an Explorer" activities and is probably just a marketing term. In any case, we thoroughly enjoyed this cruise and recommend it. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Good to hear that you enjoyed it! I will have vouchers to use following the current Mississippi trip and so the Great Lakes is a very attractive option. 

Based on what you’re saying, I suspect that those two days are available to do a variety of explorational activities. Another cruise option I like is the Pacific Explorer. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

To elaborate further on the "how it works" question you asked. When your excursion booking window opens for your cruise, you will see the available activities. Using zodiac outings as an example, there will be a drop-down menu with a selection of times (generally every 15 minutes or so) that you may choose from. Same for kayaks, subs and special ops boat (special ops boat and subs less frequent). We found that after the first day or so with these activities, there was an abundance of slots available and on many days, we took several outings. Also, be aware that due to US laws, centain activities will not be available in US waters (subs etc.). Before cruise all sub outings were fully booked. By the end of the cruise, there were lots available. The subs were still free on our cruise and the fee had not been imposed yet. I suspect that was due to the word from everyone I talked to that did the subs said they didnt see anything noteworthy, but it did check "ride in a submarine" off their bucket list.

• Thanks 1

I foresee that we’d be doing very little of any of want you mention. DW is not really into the idea of going on zodiac or kayaking outings. Thanks for all the additional info though. Not much interest in the sub. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I foresee that we’d be doing very little of any of want you mention. DW is not really into the idea of going on zodiac or kayaking outings. Thanks for all the additional info though. Not much interest in the sub. 

Expedition cruising is different from ocean or river cruising. Using the “toys” (kayaks, special ops boats, zodiacs, subs) is what these ships were designed for and is central to the experience. The emphasis is on outdoor activities, science, and exploration. That is the entertainment. If this has no appeal, you might want to reevaluate your choice of this cruise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Expedition cruising is different from ocean or river cruising. Using the “toys” (kayaks, special ops boats, zodiacs, subs) is what these ships were designed for and is central to the experience. The emphasis is on outdoor activities, science, and exploration. That is the entertainment. If this has no appeal, you might want to reevaluate your choice of this cruise.

I would agree with this assessment. However, I will add that if you and your wife have pictures of Navy Seals crashing the beaches in the zodiacs, that is not the case. The zodiacs in the great lakes spent the majority of the time puttering along the coast with a very knowledgeable expedition naturalist piloting and providing very interesting and informative information about the geology, plant life, wildlife and history of the area and what we were seeing. My wife and I went out on zodiacs probable a dozen times and don't remember ever even getting a drop of water on us, even on some of the occasions when the pilot would speed up.  

• Thanks 1

Also to add, they way they do the kayaks takes a lot of the 'difficulty' out of it.  They tow the empty kayaks to a small bay or 'feature' and take you to them in a zodiac so there isn't any real rough water paddling/crossing from the ship to calm/er water.   But I agree, even with  the ease at which they handle their toys, if you are not going to use them you do probably want to pick VO or VR rather that VE. 

Edited by rmalbers
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for more great info.

I have no issue with kayaking, and have one of my own that I use on a lake minutes from our house, but it’s not my wife’s thing at all. So maybe I’d go for it. Even without any of the ‘toys’, however, I saw that most of the ports offer the usual types of experiences that we enjoy so I’m sure we’d like the trip.

As to the itinerary specifically, on a car trip we’ve been to Mackinac, the Soo locks, Welland Canal, Niagara Falls (several times), Cleveland R&R Hall of Fame, and did the wonderful Pictured Rocks cruise near Munising. Too bad Viking doesn’t go up to the northern side of Superior since it’d make a great excursion offering.

Often wanted to get back to Mackinac and I see that an excursion there offers an afternoon tea at the Grand Hotel, so that alone sounds worth it. Never been in the hotel.

On the two days where most of the outdoor activity options are available, we’ll find something to do I’m sure, maybe even a zodiac. We loved a vacation we did in Alexandria Bay, which is when we visited Welland. The Great Lakes Seaway trail is a terrific drive. Did a good part of it already. I’d like to do more along the lakes and this cruise seems to be a good fit in that regard. 

I greatly appreciate all the detailed info as it helps get a feel for what an exploration cruise is like. Can’t have much more of a thrilling exploration experience than having been helicopter air lifted from the Sky during the March ‘19 Northern Lights cruise! Everything since is rather tame by comparison. 🤔

Edited by OnTheJourney

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hi, OTJ! We're going on the Octantis from Milwaukee to Toronto next May, so we can give you an update then if you like!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

Hi, OTJ! We're going on the Octantis from Milwaukee to Toronto next May, so we can give you an update then if you like!

I’d appreciate the feedback. If we wouldn’t be getting yet another voucher due to all not going as planned with the Mississippi cruise, we had no plans for any travel anytime soon, but I have been looking at the Great Lakes cruise and like that one. I’m equally partial to the Pacific Explorer itinerary as well, so it’ll be a tough decision. Hope this finds both of you doing well. I highly recommend the Mississippi. 

On 10/5/2023 at 4:06 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks so much for more great info.

I have no issue with kayaking, and have one of my own that I use on a lake minutes from our house, but it’s not my wife’s thing at all. So maybe I’d go for it. Even without any of the ‘toys’, however, I saw that most of the ports offer the usual types of experiences that we enjoy so I’m sure we’d like the trip.

As to the itinerary specifically, on a car trip we’ve been to Mackinac, the Soo locks, Welland Canal, Niagara Falls (several times), Cleveland R&R Hall of Fame, and did the wonderful Pictured Rocks cruise near Munising. Too bad Viking doesn’t go up to the northern side of Superior since it’d make a great excursion offering.

Often wanted to get back to Mackinac and I see that an excursion there offers an afternoon tea at the Grand Hotel, so that alone sounds worth it. Never been in the hotel.

On the two days where most of the outdoor activity options are available, we’ll find something to do I’m sure, maybe even a zodiac. We loved a vacation we did in Alexandria Bay, which is when we visited Welland. The Great Lakes Seaway trail is a terrific drive. Did a good part of it already. I’d like to do more along the lakes and this cruise seems to be a good fit in that regard. 

I greatly appreciate all the detailed info as it helps get a feel for what an exploration cruise is like. Can’t have much more of a thrilling exploration experience than having been helicopter air lifted from the Sky during the March ‘19 Northern Lights cruise! Everything since is rather tame by comparison. 🤔

We have boated, jet skied and even camped (once) around the Great Lakes, the St. Lawrence (Thousand Island area), the Rideau Canal, the Trent Severn Canal, etc. We did Vikings very first Georgian Bay cruise on the Octantis from Milwaukee to Thunder Bay in Northwest part of Lake Superior. 
We wanted to see the eastern portion of the St. Lawrence so we just finished the Eastern Seaboard Explore on one of Vikings Ocean ships. It was better than I expected. We saw so many whales on an optional excursion in Saguenay! Booked an optional Schooner excursion in Halifax and saw the magnificent cities of Quebec City and Montreal, along with Boston and NYC! 
Perhaps this is a cruise you might enjoy! I know we enjoyed it more than we thought possible!

• Thanks 1

Saguenay is lovely. We wound up there as part of a rescheduled Celebrity cruise itinerary. Had amazing fall colors.

During an extensive car trip we did the Pictured Rocks cruise near Munising, MI. Fantastic experience. Stopped at Mackinac and also the Soo

locks. We’ve also driven a good part of the Great Lakes Seaway trail. The Antique Boat Museum in Clinton is a must see if you’re in the area along the St Lawrence. Same for Alexandria Bay. Spent several days there in a lovely corner room at a waterfront resort right across from Boldt Castle. We visited the Welland Canal while there, which is part of the Viking itinerary.

Since we live so close to Baltimore and Bayonne we’ve done several Canada / New England cruises, which are among our favorite itineraries. We love Quebec also. Celebrity usually does an overnight stop there.

So, yeah, Viking’s Great Lakes cruise is surely a good fit for us!  Thanks for the encouragement!  🙂

ps. Sorry I see I already posted much of what I just said. Didn’t remember. Memory is crappy unfortunately! 

Edited by OnTheJourney

6 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Saguenay is lovely. We wound up there as part of a rescheduled Celebrity cruise itinerary. Had amazing fall colors.

During an extensive car trip we did the Pictured Rocks cruise near Munising, MI. Fantastic experience. Stopped at Mackinac and also the Soo

locks. We’ve also driven a good part of the Great Lakes Seaway trail. The Antique Boat Museum in Clinton is a must see if you’re in the area along the St Lawrence. Same for Alexandria Bay. Spent several days there in a lovely corner room at a waterfront resort right across from Boldt Castle. We visited the Welland Canal while there, which is part of the Viking itinerary.

Since we live so close to Baltimore and Bayonne we’ve done several Canada / New England cruises, which are among our favorite itineraries. We love Quebec also. Celebrity usually does an overnight stop there.

So, yeah, Viking’s Great Lakes cruise is surely a good fit for us!  Thanks for the encouragement!  🙂

ps. Sorry I see I already posted much of what I just said. Didn’t remember. Memory is crappy unfortunately! 

We have enjoyed so many of the same spots! Enjoy the cruise, if you book it!

1 minute ago, Iloveketo said:

We have enjoyed so many of the same spots! Enjoy the cruise, if you book it!

I’ve no doubt. Right now I’d say it’s pretty high up on the list. The Pacific Explorer cruise looks nice also. Would give us a chance to meet up with our daughter in LA. 

• Like 1