Coffee with Cruise Director & Asst. General Hotel Manager - Noordam

Roz

We just got off in San Diego on EURODAM.  It was nice to see the newish library and hope the libraries will return on all of the ships.  The only gripe I have is that this library is one of the new styles in a much smaller room than what we all remember when the libraries were big, had tables and even a library assistant!  The gripe is people coming in and talk talk talking and because it's a small library, the voices overwhelm the small area.  Still...I love the libraries coming back on the ships.    

We did see deck loungers being replaced on ED and that was nice.  As much as I love the old deck chairs on the big promenade decks, the cushions are kind of creepy after years of wear.  But, one can use a deck blanket or big towel to cover them up.  They were also replacing all of the deck furniture in the balcony cabins.  

On the daily program, there was a help hour (time) for the Navigator app.  You would think that HAL would just make a better app.  It's a hit and miss app that sometimes work, sometimes doesn't.  But, it was evident people appreciated the app.  

• Like 3

On 10/12/2023 at 5:23 PM, OlsSalt said:

I found only the lightest dusting of salt can perk up favors that seem initially bland. They are doing us a favor not over-salting up front.

Loved the "distant land" offerings in the Lido and the highlighted "crew food" options in the MDR  on the Noordam recently. Plus the Lido sushi was actually pretty good this time, much fresher.  Food was just fine on the Noordam. 

The Asian section on the Lido was my favourite daily stop - even if I had a full lunch in the MDR. Nothing bland or flavourless at all. Add some of the sambal made on board, and you will take it to a whole other level.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RD64 said:

The Asian section on the Lido was my favourite daily stop - even if I had a full lunch in the MDR. Nothing bland or flavourless at all. Add some of the sambal made on board, and you will take it to a whole other level.

I frequently got food from the Asian station, but then I would go to the pasta station and sprinkle red pepper flakes on my food.  I like it hot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Roz said:

I frequently got food from the Asian station, but then I would go to the pasta station and sprinkle red pepper flakes on my food.  I like it hot!

I loved pairing those "Distant  Land" selections with the cooling, chopped vegetable yogurt raita, also available as a side dishes - along with chopped jalepeño peppers and cilantro.

Lots of fun daily choices from the Noordam Lido.  Including peanut butter pie and banoffee pie - the HAL classics continue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2023 at 9:44 AM, AKJonesy said:

On the daily program, there was a help hour (time) for the Navigator app.  You would think that HAL would just make a better app.  It's a hit and miss app that sometimes work, sometimes doesn't.  But, it was evident people appreciated the app.  

That’s pretty funny. The whole point of an app is that it’s supposed to be easy and simple to use. Any app that needs an hour class of instruction needs an overhaul. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

That’s pretty funny. The whole point of an app is that it’s supposed to be easy and simple to use. Any app that needs an hour class of instruction needs an overhaul. 

I observed that many passengers didn't have a grasp of basic functions on their phones,  such as putting it in airplane mode.  Posters in this forum have reported not knowing where/how to download dinner menus.  So I can see where an hour long class, including time for questions,  is warranted. 

• Like 5