Contemplating Oceania Riviera

atwinhusen

Hello!

We are seasoned cruisers and are considering a first trip with Oceania for our 30th wedding anniversary.  The itinerary (Athens to Barcelona) and the cuisine are what is tempting us, however, for such raves about the food, there seem to be just as many pans of the food here on the forums. 

Our cruise experiences have been Cunard (not the Grille classes), Disney Concierge, and Celebrity suite (lowest suite category).

Can anyone give me an idea how Oceania compares?  Thanks!!

• Like 1

Forget the “pans”, go and enjoy Riviera.  You will have a fantastic time and Happy 30th. Can not compare to Cunard and Disney but the refugees from Celebrity are MANY so you will have no trouble getting their experiences and opinions of the two lines from this Board. One Celebrity cruise years ago, even in Aqua Class, was not close to what we experience on Oceania. Like a mass exodus of late and once you sail on Oceania, you will understand why. You do not have to pay huge sums to eat special meals, everyone on O eats the same food, whichever restaurant you are dining in. Every cruise line has changed since Covid so base all comparisons to the Post Covid era. 
We found O 16 years ago by accident and pretty much have never left. Yes, some friends drug us off to sail with them over the years but when it is “our” choice, it’s Oceania as we have found “OUR” niche and now they have all gravitated to our niche. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 3

@atwinhusen

You  did not mention a timeframe you were considering but just know in July and August it will be HOT. We made this same trip on Riviera on her post Covid first sailing but that was in mid October. We actually find the post summer/fall sailing better, less chance of there being any children aboard 😇🙏. Actually when there have been kids on board they are well behaved  and not roaming hoards. 
All of this really means nothing because your question was about cruising on Oceania. As I said previously, it is pretty much “Try it, you’ll like it”. From the ships to the cuisine, to the experience to the Staff and Guests, it is MHO you will have a wonderful time. We are preparing to sail next week on Vista with a group of friends, some on their First O cruise to one couple on their 41st.  You are experienced cruisers so you know what you expect and you will find a very high level of loyal and returning guests, normally 60%+ on board. 
This board has a large contingent of X expats so any and all questions are fare game. There are many knowledgeable Oceania posters on the board so ask away.  O is not perfect and everyone has their own opinions but O prides itself in the Value you get from one of their cruise experiences and they go out of their way to bring you back, again and again.  
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

We had a fantastic time on Riviera (A4 cabin) 12/2021 and again on Sirena (B2 cabin) 11/2022.

We're doing a 20-night B2B on Riviera with (1) Trieste to Athens (A3) and then (2) Athens to Barcelona (B3) starting 10/30/23. We can't wait!

Definitely not a paid Ambassador. To my knowledge from from friends who are TA owners, I had not heard O was using them but possibly did in the past. We have just truly enjoyed Oceania and my personality is such that when I find something that I really like, I share it with our friends. CC is like a band of friends so I sing some praises but will never not tell the truth of our experiences. Like multiple days of overflowing toilets 🤬 or a noisy room that brings DW to tears. 🤬🤬
Thanks for asking though because it means my positive approach to life is coming through and not  my occasional sarcastic comment. 
Mauibabes 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not a paid ambassador either, but I can fully support every word of what @mauibabes wrote. We sailed 4 times with Celebrity and twice with Cunard, there is no comparison. O is in a different league (unless you are in a suite in Celebrity or Cunard, but then the cost might be actually higher than O veranda).

We sailed in 12 different lines, and would still sail on most small ships (including SS, SB etc) but in terms of value for money, O is still our favorite line.

• Like 3

@ak1004

Thank you for your comments. Sometimes my wife tells me I go a bit overboard with my commentaries.  Sometimes when responding to a potential new O cruiser, I get a bit carried away because as you said, there is no real comparison with any line unless you are able to step up 💰 and pay for Regent, SS, SB, Crystal and then 💰💰for the Suite life or the lines with their ship w/I a ship privacy. Oceania’s Specialty restaurants are outstanding, especially since they are included. Oceania will rue the day IF THEY EVER try to start charging for the Specialties. Talk about an uprising and ticking loyalists off 🤬🤬🤬🤬👎
Anyway, Vista here we come and we are READY. 

Mauibabes

• Like 2

I have found you need to throw out the top 10% and bottom 10% of reviews. Then look at what the reviewer liked or disliked. Items you care about, pay more attention to. Items not important to you, ignore. Tastes are all subjective. If you get to the "still maybe" after that, give it a try and see if it works for you. No matter what, always have an open mind, be wiling to deal with issues as they arise and have a great time! I find that many negative reviews did not try to rectify the issue, if whoever you spoke to about the issue at the time dealt with it to your satisfaction, great! No longer an issue, just one off issue.

• Like 2

I have been on many cruises and different lines there were positives and negatives on all of them.  I was on Riviera and loved it but didn’t care for the Regatta experience.  Have a Vista planned.  I have found different lines were good for different times in my life.  I guess I am just not an over the top enthusiast/loyalist for any particular line (not that there is anything wrong with those who are)!  

I have yet to experience the new ship Vista but have sailed on Regatta/Insignia/Marina/Riviera and to date Riviera is my definite favorite. As Mikey used to say in the old Life commercial " try it, you'll like it"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m an X refugee for sure! Oceania (and sisterline Regent) have spoiled me for mass market lines.

O is not perfect, and the occasional meal is not great, but you definitely won’t starve! The only way to get a better experience is to pay up and go on a luxury line (but who can afford that??!)

15 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I’m an X refugee for sure! Oceania (and sisterline Regent) have spoiled me for mass market lines.

O is not perfect, and the occasional meal is not great, but you definitely won’t starve! The only way to get a better experience is to pay up and go on a luxury line (but who can afford that??!)

We were on SS last December. While I would definitely consider it a step up, for me it was not a huge step up, but a small one, not necessarily worth the extra money. Cabins are definitely much nicer, but the food and service were comparable.

We are booked now on 3 Oceania, 2 SS and 1 SB cruises. Choice is good. SS and SB have some occasional good deals that bring their prices close to O, but in general, I probably would not pay 30% more (which is a typical premium in fares compared to O).  

• Like 1

Previous to sailing for the first time on Riviera we had sailed on Hurtigruten and Regent (plus eons ago, Cunard and Union Castle line).   Riviera was a revelation to us.  Food excellent, size just perfect because it meant more specialty restaurants but not too many people.  Butlers have been great (the wonderful Churchill was the best!). Itineraries are "more or less" what other ships do so those aren't an issue.  We have now cruised 3 times on Riviera and are book on Vista for next April.  I am sure you will love Oceania.

• Like 2