Early flight departure for a Tokyo cruise?

czardas

We are booked for the Tokyo to Tokyo cruise, next March and have an early flight home at 8:50am out of Haneda airport. What’s the earliest we can get off the ship, or should we leave the night before and stay at the airport hotel? The ship docks in Tokyo the day before?  Any advice from past passengers, that have experienced an early departure? Also are taxis available at the port, at the time we will need to leave? Thank you. 

2 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

If you booked your air through Regent they will get you to the airport. We had a cruise end in Venice a few years ago with a 7:00am flight. We were in the first group off the ship. 

As I’m from Australia, we don’t get Regent air. We are flying on our own. 

6 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

A terrific service that we have used in Europe and the US is Blacklane. Extremely dependable and professional.

Blacklane is not always so dependable.  Last year they sent us this message while we were flying to Copenhagen.  Of course we didn't receive it until we landed.  We've taken Blacklane off of our list...

------------------------------------

Dear Robert,

Thank you for booking with Blacklane. Unfortunately, due to issues beyond our control, we are unable to fulfill your booking. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and assure you that you will not be charged for this ride. You may see a pre-authorization for the amount of the ride in your bank account, but the funds will be released to your account within the next few days.

We do our best to avoid last-minute ride disruptions, and hope to earn your business for a future ride. We would like to offer you a 25EUR/25GBP/40NZD/250SEK/25USD voucher. Simply enter the voucher code in the final stage of the booking process.

We hope to see you riding with Blacklane soon.

Best regards,

Your Blacklane Crew

It would be a shame to miss your last night onboard. If your ship is docked and customs cleared the day before I can't see a reason why you could not get off the ship very early morning. I am sure the ship would be able to book you a taxi and it's only 20/30 mins from Yokohama to Haneda I believe.

Don't put your bags out the night before though, keep everything with you and take them down in the morning. Best bet would be to ask your local Regent office to double check (though not at the moment as they are dealing with the fallout from the cancelled Israel and Egypt ports and flight changes)

• Like 1

I guess if I were in your situation, I would strongly consider staying at one of the hotels that are in Haneda.  (One of the hotels is brand new).  It seems like you will have to wake up at some ungodly hour (around 4:30am (?!) on the day of departure and then fret over your cab arriving and then the drive over to Haneda.  Maybe not the best way to end a lovely cruise vacation...

It's not like you can sleep in if you stay at the airport (maybe until 6am?...) but at least you are already where you need to be and just need to worry about the check in process.  And it isn't Changi Airport but the new and improved Haneda looks like there is more than enough to do to spend an evening there.  (Yeah, I tend to overthink most things..😀)

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!  (We are flying out for our much-delayed Japan cruise tomorrow!)

• Like 1

czardas:  

Following is based on just-returning to our Redmond, WA home yesterday (October 12) following a three-day post cruise add-on at Regent's assigned downtown Tokyo Hilton Shinzuko (sp.) hotel.  Ours was an Explorer cruise which began on September 20th at Vancouver, B.C; and ended at the Yokohama Port.

So--your upcoming situation is not exactly contiguous to our most-recent experience. BUT--you are arriving a day before departure.  Therefore, Customs clearance procedure should not be an issue.  

Important:  We did our own air which was from Haneda Airport back to USA; however, due to the post-cruise add-on, Regent retained responsibility for bus transport from hotel to Haneda to board a mid-afternoon United flight. 

A couple of points:  we noted plenty of taxis at Yokohama--for use by other fellow guests who were doing their own thing following debarkation.  Haneda Airport has recently completed a number of improvements.  First-class.  Also, there are two (at-least from what we were able to observe from our bus) new hotels located adjacent to the Airport. If you elect a pre-night hotel stay, am relatively certain that hotel will arrange a shuttle for you and bags "across the street" to the Terminal.

As to recent experience: Regent coordinated with Hotel staff to accommodate passengers with early AM departures.  A schedule was posted.  Guests could depart as early as 0530H.  At that time of day--about 25 minute bus ride from Hilton to Haneda.  Would estimate (as noted by others above) about the same time from Yokohama Port to Haneda.  

That said:  Based on two past experiences (Rio and Barcelona pre-COVID) as to early departure from ship to airport--even if you are doing your own air--

Regent (Concierge) arranged for taxi service to meet us at that Port for a direct transfer to the airport.  We gave the heads-up for this several days in advance, obviously.   

Staff assisted in carrying our luggage (which we had retained in the Suite) off the ship to the taxi. A Staff Officer confirmed with the driver where we were going; and the cost. These were late night departures. So--a win-win.  Out of Suite early; Attendants could get early access for refurbishing for the next guests. 

---------

We had a great cruise (never mind two rather rough sea days--and nights--while transiting from Dutch Harbor, AK across the Bearing Sea to Japan).

Enjoy your cruise.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Great responses, thank you. Regent had quoted a car to take us to the airport but the price was ridiculously expensive. Over $600 AUD 😳

Can someone please give me a little more information about clearing customs, the day before debarkation, what’s involved? Thank you. 

czardas:  

We did not utilize a Regent car; we asked the Concierge to arrange for a taxi.  That is what he did.  Very reasonable cost.  

-------

Customs clearance is(was) face-to-face. First passengers called were those with scheduled same-morning tours. Then--Deck by Deck, starting with Deck 6 and moving upwards.  Last Deck(s) called got that call around 1100H, as I recall.    

Orderly procedure.  You will have already been provided with a Japanese Customs Card to complete prior to meeting with Local Officials.  Then, with Passport and Customs Clearance Form in hand--line up to complete the process in the Theater.  

Clearance includes being fingerprinted.  No ink; don't worry.  Everything automated.  Facial photo recognition taken.  Regent will then put a small stamp on your Passport to confirm clearing the process.  

Time from lineup to process completion for us was about 35 minutes.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 4:47 PM, GOARMY said:

czardas:  

We did not utilize a Regent car; we asked the Concierge to arrange for a taxi.  That is what he did.  Very reasonable cost.  

-------

Customs clearance is(was) face-to-face. First passengers called were those with scheduled same-morning tours. Then--Deck by Deck, starting with Deck 6 and moving upwards.  Last Deck(s) called got that call around 1100H, as I recall.    

Orderly procedure.  You will have already been provided with a Japanese Customs Card to complete prior to meeting with Local Officials.  Then, with Passport and Customs Clearance Form in hand--line up to complete the process in the Theater.  

Clearance includes being fingerprinted.  No ink; don't worry.  Everything automated.  Facial photo recognition taken.  Regent will then put a small stamp on your Passport to confirm clearing the process.  

Time from lineup to process completion for us was about 35 minutes.  

GOARMY!

Go Army, your response is really appreciated. Thank you 

We also just came home from the Sept. 20 Regent cruise to Tokyo. Although we enjoyed our cruise, coming home was a nightmare. We had booked American Airlines from Haneda to Los Angeles, and then would take domestic flights home from there. However, we were told at midnight, via an email, that our flight the following day was cancelled. We frantically called AA and after over an hour’s wait on the phone, were  able to book flights on Japan Air Lines, which partnered with AA. We had to rearrange connecting flights, airport pick ups, etc. 

As far as time to get to Haneda, I would leave at least an hour, there will be some traffic. Also, you are expected to arrive at the airport at least three hours before an international flight. You will be able to get taxi’s easily from the port to Haneda, but that would mean you would have to leave the ship at 5:50 AM to meet the three hour window. I am not sure that taxi’s would be available at that early hour.

• Like 1

All good info from GoArmy and LewiLewi. To add to it, I would suggest to let the ship know that you have to leave early in the morning and ask them to call a taxi or have one waiting. Assuming the ship docks in Yokohama at the cruise terminal Pier 6 or so... at that time in the morning I doubt there are taxis waiting for passengers (like they might during the day or afternoon). It is not at a main street, so the taxi has to get there. Also, as the ship is behind a security gate/area/etc, there might be a security process to go through (passport etc). Ship can give you info. 

Time to Haneda should be about 30 to 50 min and based on the distance, a taxi would be around 10000 yen (about 68 US dollar), plus minus a bit.   

• Like 1