Tender operations from an O Class Ship

CruisingWalter

3 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

When we tendered in from Corner Brook the tenders were pretty much full, a lot more full than 60%.  My point is they are restricting people from using the tenders until the ships excursions get off, when they could be taking on another dozen or so.

I'm surprised since in all our tender experiences, the staff effectively took a head count of tour guests and supplemented with other to fill what was allowed by the port or O's own guidelines.  

Do you know what the maximum number allowed is on each tender and that O's staff refused to allow non-shorex folks to fill out the limit.  Or are you speculating because you see empty seats and assume they are available? 

2 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I'm surprised since in all our tender experiences, the staff effectively took a head count of tour guests and supplemented with other to fill what was allowed by the port or O's own guidelines.  

Do you know what the maximum number allowed is on each tender and that O's staff refused to allow non-shorex folks to fill out the limit.  Or are you speculating because you see empty seats and assume they are available? 

I'm speculating based on how many seats were filled in Corner Brook.  Nobody was being denied, but then nobody was told they could join the excursion tenders, so nobody was lined up. I think if the tenders have space, they should let people know a limited number should go ashore. Just my take.

37 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

When we tendered in from Corner Brook the tenders were pretty much full, a lot more full than 60%.  My point is they are restricting people from using the tenders until the ships excursions get off, when they could be taking on another dozen or so.

recent cruise  we were independent  & on the  1st tender with  a shorex group  

we went to the lounge  as they were getting ready for  the tours

There  were not many in the lounge when we got there  but got busier when the  1st tour  time was announced

37 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

I'm speculating based on how many seats were filled in Corner Brook.  Nobody was being denied, but then nobody was told they could join the excursion tenders, so nobody was lined up. I think if the tenders have space, they should let people know a limited number should go ashore. Just my take.

My experience is that no one is specifically told they could join a tender excursion at the check in spot.  We simply went to the staff giving out boarding tickets, said we were independents, and they would give us a colored ticket for the next tender that had availability. When they called our color, we joined the excursion group boarding.  My vague recollection this procedure was noted in Currents, but I could be wrong.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I did not know this. I have been on some pretty crowded tenders, but that may be just my perspective vs an emergency real life capacity. 

The capacity numbers are posted on the boats. I didn't really notice until one of the crew told me that he estimates how many people are on neighboring ships by adding up the lifeboat capacities (and then he does some ratio estimates to determine passengers...can't remember specifics).

6 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

The capacity numbers are posted on the boats. I didn't really notice until one of the crew told me that he estimates how many people are on neighboring ships by adding up the lifeboat capacities (and then he does some ratio estimates to determine passengers...can't remember specifics).

Makes sense and I think interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I sure do not have any desire to experience a full capacity tender for the reasons you have explained! 

Edited by Vineyard View

6 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

On Vista  I noticed  one boat said 150   even then  with less pax you are still interlocking knees with others  so cannot imagine full capacity

The crew at the tender have a clicker to count the number getting on the tender  so when they hit the  magic number  they  stop allowing people on

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 3:07 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

If I'm looking at the correct cruise, you'll be in Sitka on July 4th so some of the DIY activities may be closed. You may be the only ship in Klawock since it is so small, although there may be a Lindblad or similar tiny ship in port.

Yep that's the one. We're signed up for a Group Cruise to take advantage of the extra amenities. I'm curious to see if there will be any 4th of July fireworks that will be visible from the ship. 🙂  If I recall correctly, Klawock is going to be a single ship pier but it might be set up for two. Either way, it's definitely starting out small. I'm really looking forward to the zip line experience in Ice Strait Point.